Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Can you explain the 750 flash for me?

Thanks.

JAW
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That's actually a really good place to be.
    I just got my 750 a few months back for a little over $100.
    By the time I got it, all the bugs were worked out,
    and WM 6.0 was Officially released.

And you also get to learn self control.
    Berd, where did you get a refurb 750 for that? I've seen USED 750 Treos going for much more than that on Ebay, and refurbs with little or no warranty (unless you pay extra $$$ for them!) for $120-790! Do tell! I NEED something to replace a nearly DOA Treo 650 with a non functional keyboard...

I've tried to wait for the 850/Pro to come out, but it looks like I won't be able to make it.

I also wanted to know what the RWE flash is that removed bloaware from your 750, and how to do it!

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Yes, here in the UK we might be able to get the 850 for free from a carrier such as Vodafone or O2, but that will probably require a minimum contract of 35 pounds/month ($65) plus data charges for at least 12 months .

The Palm Centro from the UK Palm Store costs 199 pounds, which is $372. The cheapest I've seen is 164 pounds which is $306. I probably don't need to tell you that Palm sells the Centro unlocked for $199.

I'm sticking to my prediction of 399 pounds from the UK Palm store, which is a mighty $745.

You US guys can stop squealing now!
    Now that stinks!
    I was writing out a big post on how to Flash the RWE rom, when I accidentally hit back and lost it all.

There's a way to do it and not void your warranty.

I will post again tomorrow, when I have an actual computer, instead of trying to post on a treo. argh!!!
    I got my refurb from Att by renewing my contract.
    I have no desire to leave Att, so there is no advantage for me to spend an additional $200 - $300 to get an unbranded Treo.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I got my refurb from Att by renewing my contract.
    I have no desire to leave Att, so there is no advantage for me to spend an additional $200 - $300 to get an unbranded Treo.
    Ah, I see. I haven't wanted to USE my upgrade from AT&T to get one that way because then I won't have it if they DO ever offer the 850/pro!

I've had FOUR Treo 650's and 3 of them were great when they worked. One was a refurb they sent me to replace my second one that was DOA out of the box. Wouldn't boot up. The one I have now (#4) died ONE MONTH after the warranty expired. (Keyboard failure)

Despite that I remail a Treo user because I've never found any other smartphone that I can use one handed. I NEED real keys, and dislike virtual keyboards, with or without haptics. Despite loving the simplicity of the Palm OS I decided to get a 750 instead of a 680. I've never used outlook OR WM, but really want the 3G speed over the edge!

With my budget, I figure I'm going to have to wait, either for AT&T to offer a subsidized Treo or for the price to come down...
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Wow, you folks are utterly, utterly spoilt. Really.

I'm going to be paying the US$550 price (plus whatever shipping costs) because there's no alternative. If Vodafone ever sells it down here, what the UK guys are getting charged will seem like a damn pittance.

Have a look at Vodafone New Zealand's Online Store. Multiply the prices by about 0.71-0.72 to get the price in US$. Seriously, we've only just got the Tytn II, and it's going for NZ$1250 - that's US$888. At best, we could get it for NZ$575, or US$408, and that's only on their most obscenely overpriced contract, costing NZ$370/month (US$262, and for that you only get 1100 minutes. Admittedly, we don't have to pay for incoming, but still...), with a 36 month term.

So if I were to import a Treo Pro, I would be paying NZ$775 + shipping, so say NZ$800 - $450 less than a Tytn II. And I'll have to import it because there's no way it'll be sold over here. Or if it is, the base retail price will be obscene. Not sure what an unlocked, unsubsidised Tytn II goes for, but that should give you some idea of the price we have to pay down here.

Couple of others:
    Blackberry 8310 - NZ$999, or US$710.
    Nokia N95 8GB - NZ$1400/US$995.
    Nokia E90 - NZ$1600/US$1140.

I would be more sympathetic, but, well... You guys have it really good, basically.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I have been using Palms for years, and I have been on AT&T (in some form - Suncom/Cingular/AT&T) since 1999...service is great and I have ZERO problems with them, other than the 3G speed is hit or miss around here. I purchased my 750 NEW from them with a contract extension for $150 after the $100 rebate. I simply could not afford to buy the new product w/o the subsidy. I want a PRO badly, it looks like it will be incredible; but for me, it will have to sit on the shelf at the stores UNTIL AT&T carries it...THEN I will purchase one.

Being unlocked is no big deal, and I have always just deleted the bloatware that comes with the phone, so what is the big deal? Hell, locking the contract give ME advantages too, such as a lock on the rate (I pay $65 for unlimited voice and $15 for unlimited data) that I have had sinece 1999. If they drop my plan or whatever, I GET OUT OF MY CONTRACT. It is a win-win for me. As for changing carriers, well, once VZW gets switched to GSM (10+ years maybe?) it might be worth considering, but T-Mobile here really sucks , so, I have only one EXCELLENT GSM carrier...AT&T

Palm, wake up and get these subsidized, you will sell a hell of a lot more of them!

Everyone have a great day!
    Tom McElvy
    Va Beach VA USA

Treo 650 --> Treo 680 --> Treo 750 WM6 --> Treo 750 WM5 -> WM6 -> Treo Pro
  9. DJH
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I have done some reading and understand just a little about unlocked phones. In the sense of the Pro, could someone give just a taste of what unlocked would do for me? I'd still have to have a carrier for service (I am currently with VZW and I know I'd have to go to a GSM Carrier). I'd still have to pay a monthly fee for data (I saw the posts about the media max plan idea). So, with features like GPS and WiFi, would they work on AT&T's service without having to pay for them? I guess my big question is, other than having no contract to deal with, what would be the biggest benefit of getting this Pro unlocked. Thanks for any help. I don't need anything in depth, just some quick hits would be helpful.
    As for unlocked: You can travel overseas without asking AT&T for the unlock code. You can also use T-Mobile SIMs(no 3g though in the US, due to their different band) if the need arises. Wifi should work, unlocked or not.

As for unbranded: NO AT&T bloatware, NO AT&T hotwired Media Net browsers, links to services you may not even use, crippled GPS, crippled bluetooth, etc.

Also you will probably get the accessories in the box that you're supposed to get in the first place, before AT&T decides to remove them and charge extra for them!!! And they do this a lot, I'm not kidding. Although with smartphones, not as much.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    As for unlocked: You can travel overseas without asking AT&T for the unlock code. You can also use T-Mobile SIMs(no 3g though in the US, due to their different band) if the need arises. Wifi should work, unlocked or not.

As for unbranded: NO AT&T bloatware, NO AT&T hotwired Media Net browsers, links to services you may not even use, crippled GPS, crippled bluetooth, etc.

Also you will probably get the accessories in the box that you're supposed to get in the first place, before AT&T decides to remove them and charge extra for them!!! And they do this a lot, I'm not kidding. Although with smartphones, not as much.
    But...wouldn't you miss that nice at&t logo on your device int the process?
    at&t iPhone3G
    The outside logos are not that bad, it's the inside junk that ruins it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    Wow, you folks are utterly, utterly spoilt. Really.

I'm going to be paying the US$550 price (plus whatever shipping costs) because there's no alternative. If Vodafone ever sells it down here, what the UK guys are getting charged will seem like a damn pittance.

Have a look at Vodafone New Zealand's Online Store. Multiply the prices by about 0.71-0.72 to get the price in US$. Seriously, we've only just got the Tytn II, and it's going for NZ$1250 - that's US$888. At best, we could get it for NZ$575, or US$408, and that's only on their most obscenely overpriced contract, costing NZ$370/month (US$262, and for that you only get 1100 minutes. Admittedly, we don't have to pay for incoming, but still...), with a 36 month term.

So if I were to import a Treo Pro, I would be paying NZ$775 + shipping, so say NZ$800 - $450 less than a Tytn II. And I'll have to import it because there's no way it'll be sold over here. Or if it is, the base retail price will be obscene. Not sure what an unlocked, unsubsidised Tytn II goes for, but that should give you some idea of the price we have to pay down here.

Couple of others:
    Blackberry 8310 - NZ$999, or US$710.
    Nokia N95 8GB - NZ$1400/US$995.
    Nokia E90 - NZ$1600/US$1140.

I would be more sympathetic, but, well... You guys have it really good, basically.
    Hey Money Bags,

I told little Johnny that we weren't going to be able to get him new school supplies this year, because I want to buy a $550 gadget.
    I just cant see how this phone will be any type of success. Its selling at a premium price, plus you cant really go to a store first to try one out. $550 without any hands on first is asking a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think he meant the unlocked prices in the US are actually lower than in New Zealand, so when we complain about price, he doesn't see what the big deal is for us here.
    Yea, after I posted, I thought that.

Again, it's not a matter if the price is fair, and whether we here are all spoiled, $550 is a lot of money - maybe less than what an unlocked went for last year, less than others may be used to paying, but more than I want to pay.

Someone could call me 'Spoiled' or they can say things are more expensive for them, what's less offensive?
    NZ's, or others outside of the US could call us spoiled, it depends on how one looks at it,
    I guess one could just as easily call them 'Dumb Suckers for being taken to the Cleaners!'

$800?... Never!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWilson View Post
    Can you explain the 750 flash for me?

Thanks.

JAW
    Try this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=382612

If you have any more questions, you might post in that Thread, so as to keep this thread on topic.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    @ original post...

I dispute point #3. If you buy it unlocked, you still have to take it into a store (or go online) and get a plan from someone (T-Mob, ATT etc.) in order to actually USE the phone. Even if you're swapping a SIM from an existing phone, that SIM-card will come with a contract, with an early termination fee. If you're getting a new SIM, it will come with a $35+ activation fee too.

So, it might be unlocked, but you end up having to lock-in with a contract sooner or later in order to use the phone!
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    Even if you're swapping a SIM from an existing phone, that SIM-card will come with a contract, with an early termination fee. If you're getting a new SIM, it will come with a $35+ activation fee too.

So, it might be unlocked, but you end up having to lock-in with a contract sooner or later in order to use the phone!
    Your old SIM may come with a contract, but any early termination fee isn't relevant if you're just moving it from your old phone to your new one.

Plus you have the bonus of being able to use other, usually PAYG, SIMs for when you travel to other countries, or areas where your network doesn't have a presence.
    The binding contract is the only real issue.

Everything else is not.
    Att will unlock if you need to travel.
    So all and all, the only real disadvantage to buying it from Att is the contract.
    Big deal, if you're planning on staying with Att.
  20.    #60  
    Yeah, cause in US there is only 2 GSM operator with only 1 of them doing 3G.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast