Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    550 is a little steep for me too.
    I have no good reason to switch from ATT so the unlocked isn't that appealing.
    The only advantage is not getting all of ATT's bloatware.
    But then again, with that much internal memory, what's a little bloat?
    Usually we can save 200 to 300 when we renew our contract.
    I will most likely wait in agonizing pain for ATT.
    Same here. I do want my phone unlocked but my 750 is from AT&T and they readily gave me the unlock code. Based on my prior experience and if AT&T offers a rebate of $100, the subsidized price will be $350.00, that would be much more affordable.

Ofcourse if it is never available with AT&T, I will have to figure out a way to fund the $550.00.
    Squeal! squeal! squeal!!!!!
    I haven't been going to all the links provided in these 850 threads,
    but where did someone read that it may not be carried by ATT?

Like i said in treopq's thread, I find it hard to believe that ATT won't carry the 850.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I haven't been going to all the links provided in these 850 threads,
    but where did someone read that it may not be carried by ATT?
    From Palm.

Surur
    Also in a brief TV interview that I saw last night, the Palm spokesperson said that it was only being sold unlocked (for you to use on any carrier) and not through carriers like AT&T.
    That's not to say that can't change in the future (I wouldn't hold my breath,) but that's Palm's official position right now.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Also in a brief TV interview that I saw last night, the Palm spokesperson said that it was only being sold unlocked (for you to use on any carrier) and not through carriers like AT&T.
    That's not to say that can't change in the future (I wouldn't hold my breath,) but that's Palm's official position right now.

There goes $550!

I guess that will complicate returns for the end user a little, peeps won't be able to just run down to their local ATT store before their 30 days is up and say; "I don't like this phone for no particular reason, I'm just returning it because I want to"
    Just call me Berd.
    On that same note;

Just look at all those ticked off 800 users, they just run down to sprint and say gimme my money back.
    Just call me Berd.
    I would wait a month or two after the Treo Pro comes out to see if anything is leaked about this coming to AT&T. See if something happens to save a bundle of money. Either that or pay the $550 on launch day and don't look back.
    As badly as I want this phone, I can't see myself paying $550. Not commenting on the fairness or value of the price. I think Palm will sell a plenty at that price point, I just can't really afford it. I'll just have to wait and see if anybody sells it cheaper, or if AT&T picks it up. Otherwise, I'll probably save $450 and get a Blackjack III when it comes out. Until then, my trusty 650 keeps on truckin'! I'll probably ended up getting a Pro for free in two years when the Treo 1000 is coming out. Due to not having the money to spend, I'm usually a little while behind the leading edge on tech products.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    ...clip...I'm usually a little while behind the leading edge on tech products.
    That's actually a really good place to be.
    I just got my 750 a few months back for a little over $100.
    By the time I got it, all the bugs were worked out,
    and WM 6.0 was Officially released.

And you also get to learn self control.
    Just call me Berd.
    I don't actually think they'll sell plenty at that price. Those days of paying 500-600 for a phone are over. Good luck convincing someone who hasn't used a treo to do this. Only the hardcore fans will do so.

It's not all about the price. They lose the carrier's marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    As badly as I want this phone, I can't see myself paying $550. Not commenting on the fairness or value of the price. I think Palm will sell a plenty at that price point, I just can't really afford it. I'll just have to wait and see if anybody sells it cheaper, or if AT&T picks it up. Otherwise, I'll probably save $450 and get a Blackjack III when it comes out. Until then, my trusty 650 keeps on truckin'! I'll probably ended up getting a Pro for free in two years when the Treo 1000 is coming out. Due to not having the money to spend, I'm usually a little while behind the leading edge on tech products.
    Still on the fence about what my next phone will be, but I am with you. It's not that $550 for a phone is outrageous (I own a first-gen iPhone), just that if I'm going to blow that on a phone, it better have something unique that commands the higher price. If 99% of what the phone does and most of it's form factor can be had on subsidy from my carrier, what's the incentive to spend the extra cash?
    Ladies and gents:

Methinks that Palm has more products down the pipeline. So don't fret, us PALM OS loyalists will have our day. I do applaud them for taking this risk since it will eventually pay off for them. (ever heard of cutting out the middle man?)

Marketing to a wider audience than the US gives them more of a foothold on the smartphone market if this Treo Pro works out for them. We US customers are fickle, since EVERYONE has us addicted to consuming, we have little to no brand loyalty. (Except people in this forum) compared to the rest of the world.

One thing I have always seen as a step backwards for companies is competition. Palm knows that they don't have the muscle that RIMM and APPL have (check out their stock quotes and see for yourself) so they came out with a different offering than their peers (sort of like they did with the Centro)

Uniqueness is the key to excel above your peers in business, not direct competition. Just my opinion anyways.

I'm sure that had they launched the Pro through a US carrier from the jump, we will all be crying foul. (damn if you do and damn if you don't)

By the by, we all eventually pay for the entire price (or more) of our $99-$199 phone throughout our 2 years contracts, don't we? (ARPU in two years for TElco's is off the hinges. Especially if they lock you into a crazy data plan in order for you to get that rebate). No different than if we charge it on a credit card.

By the by, I'm sure that 5 bills is a discount for what they would have charged AT&T or someone else for it. (Or I can be corrected)
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't actually think they'll sell plenty at that price. Those days of paying 500-600 for a phone are over. Good luck convincing someone who hasn't used a treo to do this. Only the hardcore fans will do so.

It's not all about the price. They lose the carrier's marketing.
    Nokia N95, all versions, go for that. Sometimes even more if bought from Nokia flagship stores. Many of Sony Ericsson's phones are $500 when first released. People even paid that much for the iPhone at first. Palm's one problem is Treo isn't considered a hot phone anymore, so THEY may not get away with it. But it CAN be done and manufacturers get away with it if they have a hot phone on their hands.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I wouldn't buy any phone for that price. Wait 6 months and the price will rectify and it will be steep.
    I wouldnt buy a phone for that price only becasue of the options and cheaper phones that do the same thing. If it was unique then sure maybe i would go as high as $300 but never , I can buy a laptop and a Centro for that price. Ofcourse some folks dont even sneeze at paying $600 or a phone , I need to feed my family and pay my bills. When I was single maybe I would think about it but I doubt I would ever feel the need to spend so much for a phone. I mean in the end its a phone.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/22/2008 at 09:17 PM.
    I used to. Like i said..those days are over..
    .....jab, jab, crushing left cross......, and down goes palm... once again.
    Let me guess, you all saying you won't pay for a phone outright are used to getting subsidized phones? This is why carriers are always able to put us across a barrel, no one wants to buy their phone outright and the carriers know it!

Although I still do. I won't let carriers butcher up the firmware and hardware, and cripple features to suit them. You pay for a phone, it should be YOURS. It's almost like you rented the phone instead of bought it, the way carriers tie things down!

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Let me guess, you all saying you won't pay for a phone outright are used to getting subsidized phones? This is why carriers are always able to put us across a barrel, no one wants to buy their phone outright and the carriers know it!

Although I still do. I won't let carriers butcher up the firmware and hardware, and cripple features to suit them. You pay for a phone, it should be YOURS. It's almost like you rented the phone instead of bought it, the way carriers tie things down!

There is alot of talented people here on these boards and xda-developers.
    We can hack past all the carrier crap.
    I have no reason to leave ATT, why would I pay $200 more to get an unlocked/unbranded phone. The same day I brought home my ATT 750, I Flashed RWE - No bloat
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast