1.    #1  
    I know this is a silly question, but every Treo I have owned was purchased through ATT. Other then a $ subsidized purchase, what is lost if I buy the unlocked version directly through Palm instead of a locked version from ATT? Does the voicemail app work seamlessly if I plug in my current SIM card. Are their any other problems? Thanks.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I have never owned an unlocked device. However, setting up one to work with ATT seems to be pretty straightforward. A friend of mine got a Nokia phone from Japan and browsing through the web he found a site (directly from Nokia BTW) that automatically enabled his phone to work with ATT/Cingular in the US.

I would suspect Palm will set up a similar process to get it up and running with ATT, so let's wait and see. In their "release" video they claim they will have something like that up and running once the phone is out.

I do know that you will have to manually enter certain parameters to get the data portion working. I have done that with PC cards and laptops. The voice part should work seamlessly however the voice mail app may need a specific number and/or configuration setup. Maybe if you google for "how to enable an unlocked phone in ATT" or similar should bring up good results?
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I am not sure whether it is the same in US. In Asia, when I plug in the SIM (Singapore, HK and China), my Centro and Treo will automatically set all the settings, which include MMS, GPRS etc. I think almost all the latest devices already stored the settings of the big carriers or sometimes dial a number to download the settings.
    Agreed. All Palm Treos have always been pre-loaded with all (or most) carrier's settings. Put your SIM in, it identifies which carrier that SIM goes with, and auto configures your data and MMS settings.

The voice mail number is read from your SIM, I believe. Either way SMS and Voice mail will also work with 0 configuration.

I'm sure Palm has fully tested this with AT&T. But I speculate they skipped direct carrier branding this time because for the months of time and cost involved with carrier branding and carrier certification. By just doing 1 unlocked model they're able to get it out a lot faster and cheaper (or at least higher profit margin, and we know Palm needs all they can get these days.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    You att guys are lucky. Having Tmobile, I've had to buy unlocked unbranded treo's ever since the 650 and higher.

At least for me, using the Windows Mobile based Treo 750 (ATT branded, unlocked), I had to do a LOT of manual configuration to get MMS working with Tmobile.

Maybe it'll be easier with an unbranded treo WM based one? Not sure.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    According to that "release" video, with the Treo Pro, Palm will actually start a new line of direct support for customers. One of the guys in the video says (not quoting verbatim) "after you buy a CE device, you get home and you want to use it right away... we will make sure our users get to do that by giving them direct access to dedicated support"

So if true, anyone who buys a Pro will be able to chat with Palm and have them walk you through the set up steps needed to make the phone work with your carrier (ATT or T-Mo). That would be the straightforward way. If not, the net is full of walk-throughs and websites that do this kind of thing regularly...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I was told yesterday by the salesperson at the AT&T store that "Yes, I am certain we are definitely getting the Treo Pro, it might just be a month or two." I don't know how valuable this is though. ALSO, I went into Verizon yesterday as well to reconnect my treo700wx and the salesman there said that they were getting the treo800w in a little more than a month probably, they were just retesting it to get it up to par. He also said that TREO Pro will actually come in a CDMA model too and Verizon will probably have that by December. That I am no so sure I believe though...
    From the 'GiveAway Thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    ...clip...we're going to run a contest to give one away when it's officially released on AT&T! ...clip...
    So what is TC going to do, change the contest to whenever the Unlocked gets released?
    And if they do, how does this effect the rest of the world, right now the contest is for USA
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    ...clip...[*]Contest open to US residents only, it is AT&T, after all
    Just call me Berd.
    Windows Mobile is a pan in the **** to configure for data services, MMS, etc. I set up my Treo 750 (unlocked) for T-Mobile, then ported to AT&T and had to do it all over again. What a freakin' nightmare.
    From internetnews.com:
    ...pundits wonder if the strategy is tied to other issues such as tough carrier negotiations, an attempt to beat Research in Motion's impending BlackBerry Bold launch or the possibility that the Treo Pro failed to meet carrier testing requirements.

http://www.internetnews.com/mobility...+Unleashed.htm

I would think that the release without an agreement with AT&T or any other carrier will severely weaken Palm's negotiating position. If they don't come to terms, they are screwed. There is no real benefit to an unlocked phone for the typical US business customer (their core audience). There is no benefit to Palm to go strictly unsubsidized; large enterprise customers have a direct relationship with Palm anyway. They will lose the small to mid-sized businesses (actually a MUCH larger market) who can buy a BB Curve for $200.
    remember when both gsm and cdma would both get the same treo's (600 & 650)
    maybe att will just get a gsm 800, and that'll be it.
    That way palm can have full control over the pro.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB847 View Post
    From internetnews.com:
    ...pundits wonder if the strategy is tied to other issues such as tough carrier negotiations, an attempt to beat Research in Motion's impending BlackBerry Bold launch or the possibility that the Treo Pro failed to meet carrier testing requirements.

http://www.internetnews.com/mobility...+Unleashed.htm

I would think that the release without an agreement with AT&T or any other carrier will severely weaken Palm's negotiating position. If they don't come to terms, they are screwed. There is no real benefit to an unlocked phone for the typical US business customer (their core audience). There is no benefit to Palm to go strictly unsubsidized; large enterprise customers have a direct relationship with Palm anyway. They will lose the small to mid-sized businesses (actually a MUCH larger market) who can buy a BB Curve for $200.
    I agree with this that for the $500 Treo Pro, I could see a small/mid business just migrating to the Bold for $200, if they need to buy several (like I would need to for my business) it would be much more cost effective for me as the business owner to migrate to the Bold for $1000 for 5 rather than $2500 for the Pro. I want the Pro, but can't justify the unlocked price, now it was tied to ATT for $300 I could do it and justify it more in my mind...