Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There was a post on engadget or somewhere that showed the HTC Diamond in cdma vs. gsm versions, with the cdma version being thicker.

This was also true for the treo 700wx/treo 750 series.

Is the reason the 800w is thicker simply b/c it's CDMA? Is there a technical bottleneck here?

However, the razr lines were identical I believe in thickness no matter which carrier offered them.
    Larger battery? 1340mAh instead of 900mAh for GSM.
  3.    #3  
    GSM Treo Pro actually has a 1500 mAh battery, which is larger!
    cdma versions seem to be a little bigger, but doesn't really need to be thicker. the htc touch, for example, was just a few mm taller. same thickness.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    The 800w is bigger because it's basically last years technology, making it a 2007 device whereas the Treo Pro is a 2008 device.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    It's also worth pointing out that that by volume, the 800w really isn't that much bigger. 6.5 cubic inches for the 800w vs 5.62 cubic inches for the Pro. The Treo Pro is thinner than the 800w, but it's also both taller and wider.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    It's also worth pointing out that that by volume, the 800w really isn't that much bigger. 6.5 cubic inches for the 800w vs 5.62 cubic inches for the Pro. The Treo Pro is thinner than the 800w, but it's also both taller and wider.

Since the 800 is almost 50% thicker than the Pro, and only has 75% the battery of the Pro - I'd gladly take thinner/taller/wider. 50% is a huge difference!

Oh, BTW, here's a neat rationalization for your defense of the 800. I've heard that the Pro's SD slot is slightly angled and tighter, leading to repetitive stress injuries for Pro users, resulting in lost income and and depression. I think your devotion to your 800 is cool, but a bit overboard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The 800w is bigger because it's basically last years technology, making it a 2007 device whereas the Treo Pro is a 2008 device.
    Oh yeah....I forgot.....We are talking about Palm ........ We will see this (Treo Pro) design for CDMA (sprint) people with new improved Treo 810w:

-- updated with new google maps feature "My Location" for sprint
    -- Palm new app "facebook" now for windows based treos too
    --3.5mm stereo headset jack
    --Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 4.5 hours talk time and up to 200 hours standby (hey its CDMA)
    --Only $250 with a new 2 years of contract.

Its Dejavu all over again .
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I feel that the 800w is smaller than the Mogul.

800w is nice on my hand. I love it.

But I am jealous that the Pro got 1500 battery. Why so much more?

If the Pro and 800w are the same size, I will be mad.
    I think CDMA phones are bigger because they have higher battery drain thus require bigger batteries. Talk time on comparable phones (GSM vs. CDMA) is usually significantly higher on the GSM handset.

Sound logical to anybody else? I'm pretty sure I read about it when I was considering switching to ATT from Sprint.
    as nice as the 800w is, the 850 is a better package and so will be the HTC Touch Diamond. They can both go head to head with the iphone. There will always be something better. I'm happy with the 800 but obviously i would be happier with it if it were thinner and the battery lasted longer... I may have to hauk my 850 on ebay and get the 810 when it comes out.

Luckly for me my friend is a Sprint employee. So I get employee discount on phones along with no contract and unlimited plan for $15/mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    GSM Treo Pro actually has a 1500 mAh battery, which is larger!
    I was referring to the HTC Diamond in cdma vs. gsm versions....not 800 vs 850 ..though I wish the 800w had a 1500 too, since I'm charging every night now.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I feel that the 800w is smaller than the Mogul.

800w is nice on my hand. I love it.

But I am jealous that the Pro got 1500 battery. Why so much more?

If the Pro and 800w are the same size, I will be mad.
    Then no reason to be mad - the Pro is MUCH thinner.
    Last edited by willysp; 08/22/2008 at 11:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Exactly. Design cycles may even be more than one year.

Also the pro seems to be being rushed to market as from what I have read they did not get AT&T to sell it subsidized?
    Quote Originally Posted by willysp View Post
    Since the 800 is almost 50% thicker than the Pro, and only has 75% the battery of the Pro - I'd gladly take thinner/taller/wider. 50% is a huge difference!

Oh, BTW, here's a neat rationalization for your defense of the 800. I've heard that the Pro's SD slot is slightly angled and tighter, leading to repetitive stress injuries for Pro users, resulting in lost income and and depression. I think your devotion to your 800 is cool, but a bit overboard...
    Glad to see that someone else understands mathematics. Great post. Too funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    "There's three kinds of lies. Lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- Mark Twain

But since you bring up math...

Treo 800w: 6.5 cubic inches
    Treo Pro: 5.62 cubic inches

That means that the total volume of the 800w is only 15% bigger than the Pro, or that the Pro is 86% the size of the 800w, whichever you prefer. Doesn't sound as dramatic as 50%, but it's a more accurate comparison.

Personally, I prefer the narrower-but-thicker feel of the 800w. It feels better in the hand, less like you're holding a CD by the edges. But I've had this argument before, back in the distant predawn of mobile computing, when I argued that the Palm III form factor was better than the Palm V. The V felt better in the pocket, the III felt better in the hand, and I figured, which one is more important, carrying the device or actually using it?

BTW, I carry my 800w on a belt clip, so I could give a toasted damn about a few millimeters of thickness. Really doesn't matter to me personally. I'd carry the Pro the same way if I was on GSM, and would notice the difference not at all.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Jeff's math is just as valid as mine. For me, thickness is the most important dimension, and I'm not interested in the product of the 3 dimensions. For him, volume is apparently important - an unusual, but valid selection criterion.

Yes, the second part was just me being a smart@ss. I actually envy people who are totally satisfied and love their phones. As an engineer, perfectionist, geek, I've never had nor seen a phone that does that for me.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    ...That means that the total volume of the 800w is only 15% bigger than the Pro, or that the Pro is 86% the size of the 800w, whichever you prefer. Doesn't sound as dramatic as 50%, but it's a more accurate comparison...
    No - it's not a more accurate comparison, it's just a different comparision. Thickness, volume, weight, color - all valid criteria to base a comparison on. None is objectively right or wrong, or more accurate than the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by willysp View Post
    No - it's not a more accurate comparison, it's just a different comparision. Thickness, volume, weight, color - all valid criteria to base a comparison on. None is objectively right or wrong, or more accurate than the others.
    But what some people can't comprehend is how the Treo Pro is both smaller (in terms of thickness, total volume, etc) and still manages to have a MUCH larger battery than the 800w.
    I'm pretty sure I comprehend that just fine. I just don't think an extra 350mah powering a faster processor is going to make that much of a difference, certainly not so much additional battery life that I'd be eager to give up my 800w's grownup keyboard for the Pro's Centro-like Gummy Keys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast