1.    #1  
    Has anyone got the built in VPN client on this phone working?

On my 700wx I had the VPN for PPTP working perflectly. I'll explain what I did.

In Connections i added my job's VPN server to "edit my vpn servers".

I then went into connections advanced and went into exceptions. In exceptions i added the ip addresses of all my jobs ip addresses (internal addresses not public addresss)

The beauty of doing this was... whenever i would try to connect to one of my jobs servers... if i put the ip address in say internet explorer since the ip was in the exceptions list it would automatically dial and connect to my vpn server first then it would connect to my jobs server. it worked REALLY well.

Now with WM6 you would think it would be the same setup but its not working.

First off it doesnt dial my VPN server automatically when i connect to a server on the exceptions list. thats a pita why wouldnt this work in wm6?

And the other issue i am having if i try to manually connect to the vpn server i have to try to connect like 5-10 times before it actually works. and then it will randomly drop my connection minutes later.

I am the server admin so i am going to look at my vpn logs on my pptp microsoft remote access server.

But i am curious if anybody has this working nice. Please share your stories.

thanks
  2.    #2  
    Let me add one piece of info. If i use PIE and put my local server in there it actually DOES automatically try to connect to my vpn server.

I am trying to use Remote Desktops for WM6 and when i put the IP in there it doesnt automatically connect. I have to manually connect to my VPN server first. When i was using terminal services for WM5 on my 700 it automatically connected to my vpn if the ip was on my exceptions list.

I am also still having the issue of my vpn connection dropping quickly for no reason.
  3.    #3  
    Ok i think i figured out why my VPN keeps bouncing.

It seems whenever my phone does a sync with activesync (i use directpush with an exchange server)... it bounces my VPN connection.

My 700 didnt behave this way so it has to be a config issue.

thoughts?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    That was what I was going to suggest. Any of your email or activesync going behind the scenes will terminate the vpn connection (unless it's in the exception list obviously). Other programs can do it to. My weather app is one example. No way I know of to get around this besides turning off the automatic update settings on the apps causing the problem. Unfortunately, the remote desktop app doesn't connect automatically. I've never tried a work around. It just seems that some do connect automatically and some don't.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by chris44gw View Post
    That was what I was going to suggest. Any of your email or activesync going behind the scenes will terminate the vpn connection (unless it's in the exception list obviously). Other programs can do it to. My weather app is one example. No way I know of to get around this besides turning off the automatic update settings on the apps causing the problem. Unfortunately, the remote desktop app doesn't connect automatically. I've never tried a work around. It just seems that some do connect automatically and some don't.

I can understand the remote desktop app not causing the VPN to kick in.

But my 700 never used to boot my VPN when it did an activesync. So there has to be some sort of a workaround. I can't have my VPN just booting me off whenever the phone wants to connect to the internet for whatever reason.
  6.    #6  
    I can add my exchange server to the exception list to prevent my VPN from kicking me off when it sync.

But the problem with this is everytime I go to sync it now dials my VPN and it keeps my VPN connected. I dont want my VPN connected all the time. Ugh.

Why does Microsoft have to screw around with this stuff?