View Poll Results: Are you happy to see the return of the reset button to Palm smartphones?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I've missed the convenience.

    23 74.19%
  • No! I dislike it or am indifferent.

    5 16.13%
  • Other! I am undecided or something.

    3 9.68%
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    According to the leaked specs of the Treo 850/Pro, the reset button is back, ba-bay! This is great news to those of us who were unhappy with having to remove the battery & door, to reset our frozen Treo's (775p, in my case).*

    So, what about you? Are you happy to see the return of the reset button to Palm smartphones? Of course, this assumes it won't be exclusive to the 850/Pro.

    Personally, I'm hoping this means future Palm smartphones will sport reset buttons, as well. Now, all I need is for them to also have a hole in the battery door, so I won't have to remove the door (or drill/buy one) to reset the phone - just stick the stylus through the door like I do on my 650.




    * - Especially when I'm on my bike.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    So, what about you? Are you happy to see the return of the reset button to Palm smartphones? Of course, this assumes it won't be exclusive to the 850/Pro.
    I'm happy to see it, but not happy that they relocated it behind the battery door ala Treo 650 style. One of the things I love about my 750 is that I can reset without touching the battery door. I don't think I've opened my battery door since I've owned the phone. That's a good thing in my mind...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins


    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    I'm happy to see it, but not happy that they relocated it behind the battery door ala Treo 650 style. One of the things I love about my 750 is that I can reset without touching the battery door. I don't think I've opened my battery door since I've owned the phone. That's a good thing in my mind...
    Really? I've never owned a 750 or seen on in real life. It has an exterior reset button? If so, that's beyond awesome (and, again, makes me wonder why I don't hear more about the 750).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  4.    #4  
    Okay. I just looked it up. I wouldn't want to have to open anything to reset the Treo (besides pulling the Stylus out).

    IF I could have a hole in the battery door, I'd prefer that location, I think.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5. #5  
    I don't find a difference in speed or convenience between

    Popping off the battery door, pulling out stylus and pushing a button


    versus

    Popping off the battery door and pulling out the battery

    Not a big deal anyways as I don't need to reset the phone very often, if at all.

    putting a hole in the door is, imo, a very aesthetically unpleasing look to such a device--it's like using a coat hanger for an antenna, sure it works but...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I don't find a difference in speed or convenience between

    Popping off the battery door, pulling out stylus and pushing a button


    versus

    Popping off the battery door and pulling out the battery

    Not a big deal anyways as I don't need to reset the phone very often, if at all.
    Well, like I say, I'd want a hole in the battery door, like I have on my 650. Then I only need to press the button through the battery door. Much more convenient.

    I really envy your not having to reset very often. I don't know that I'd say I do "very" often, but it's often enough. It's particularly challenging when I'm trying to get somewhere on my bike.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  7. #7  
    There are numerous programs out there that will allow you to do a soft reset without touching the back cover. Much better alternative, IMO.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    There are numerous programs out there that will allow you to do a soft reset without touching the back cover. Much better alternative, IMO.
    I hear you, but restarting a frozen Treo can only be done the manual way.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I hear you, but restarting a frozen Treo can only be done the manual way.
    True that. Fortunately, my last few WM devices have been so solid that they haven't "frozen." Most of my resets have been from trying out new software.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    True that. Fortunately, my last few WM devices have been so solid that they haven't "frozen." Most of my resets have been from trying out new software.
    Lucky sum-gun. I was biking the other day and Kinoma freaked out on me at kind of an inconvenient time. I could've managed to punch the reset hole, but taking the battery & door off? Not so much.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11. jas o's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    #11  
    It is nice to have but I haven't had a need for it on my Centro and once I got my WX setup it was very stable.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    It is nice to have but I haven't had a need for it on my Centro and once I got my WX setup it was very stable.
    Set up? So, it was unstable before this set up, but stable after?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13. Yahrghrr's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #13  
    Looking at the pictures, I think you can reset without taking out the back cover. Just pull out the stylus and the button will be visible.

    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/.share...ive_shot_4.jpg
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/.share...treo_pro_8.jpg
  14. #14  
    I will be looking for an after market battery cover with a hole in it. Now where did I put that leather hole puncher?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahrghrr View Post
    Looking at the pictures, I think you can reset without taking out the back cover. Just pull out the stylus and the button will be visible.

    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/.share...ive_shot_4.jpg
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/.share...treo_pro_8.jpg
    That would be clever design! The pics I saw of the reset button are shown with the cover off.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  16. #16  
    based on the review on TC I would say that the battery cover needs to be removed to get to the reset button.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  17. #17  
    I drilled a hole in the case of my 600 and 700P to reset it, never took the back off.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    based on the review on TC I would say that the battery cover needs to be removed to get to the reset button.
    Considering how big the battery door is (I didn't realize, before, that it covers the whole rear of the unit), I'm pretty bothered by that, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I drilled a hole in the case of my 600 and 700P to reset it, never took the back off.
    It took 2 or three tries for me to get an accurate lined-up hole drilled in my 650's battery door. I'd rather not have to do that with a Pro (or whatever Pro-like Palm device I may get in the future).

    I still don't know the "right way" to do it. I'd really rather not have to drill 3 holes to get it right.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. #19  
    Maybe there will be an aftermarket cover from someone like Seidio with a reset hole in it.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Maybe there will be an aftermarket cover from someone like Seidio with a reset hole in it.
    I'm mildly reluctant to complain about Palm after being so pleased by their visible and tangible responses to my/our previous complaints... BUT Palm shouldn't leave it to Seidio to grant us... err, SELL US convenient access to our reset buttons.

    And we shouldn't need to aim a drill at our phones, either.

    Maybe it's an issue of keeping water away out of the device's sensitive areas. I don't know, but it's problematic.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

Posting Permissions