Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm trying to pick up where Insol left off, and build a VGA switcher.

At this point there's not a whole lot of the stock RealVGA left (not that it did a lot anyway), but I thought I'd share what I have so far.

FAQ:
    What does it do?
    Real VGA decreases the DPI, or Dots per Inch.

But wait! Won't that make my screen bigger, or show less?
    Of course not! DPI refers to the resolution or size of the ITEMS on the screen. So if you make everything on your screen smaller, then you get to actually see more.

Can I change the DPI without restarting? Or just change the DPI for certain applications?
    Unfortunatly no.

Requirements:
    800w
    MortScript

Download:
    • MortScript - Link
    • Smartphone2003Testcert.cab (Link at the bottom of post)
    • Ebag RealVGA.cab (Link at the bottom of post)
    • Ebag RealVGA 96DPI Resource Pack.cab (Download Alt Alt)

Note: This post will probably have a newer version of the switching script. Check the bottom of this post for a new MortScript. Please read the install instructions carefully, otherwise you will have issues.

To Install:
    • Install Mortscript.
    • Install Smartphone2003Testcert.cab (This must be installed first.)
    • Install Ebag RealVGA.cab
    • Install Ebag RealVGA 96DPI Resource Pack.cab

Check for newer versions of the script (at the end of this post).

Note: I have had issues when not installing immediatly after a hard reset. It is highly recommended that you hard reset before installing this due to the complexity of the install. You will not be able to restore the registry from a backup (as it will overwrite changes).

To Uninstall:
    • Run the Real VGA script and switch back to 128 DPI (if you have not already).
    • Uninstall Ebag RealVGA.cab (Optional)
    • Uninstall Ebag RealVGA 96DPI Resource Pack.cab (Optional)

Known Risks:
    You may need to start from a hard reset to install this.

Known (stock) incompatabilities:
    (Note: I do not consider these "bugs" because these were not designed for 96 DPI.)
    Maps today plugin does not display. (Cannot be corrected.)
    Maps application behaves oddly. (Cannot be corrected.)
    Phone skin (dialpad) does not scale correctly. (Totally functional, but does not fill the screen. Cannot be corrected.)

Also there are some updated .dll's. Make sure you look at this post.
    Now included! (You do not need to download this.)

Check out Hannip's post. It fixes the issue when turning the radio on/off. Post
    Now included! (You do not need to download this.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ebag333; 12/30/2008 at 11:16 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Image goodness.

Pics on the left are the stock 128 DPI. Pics on the right are the new 96 DPI.

Couple of pics of the general OS. See if you can spot all the weird bugs...

(Note: I've since fixed the graphics issues and icons not showing. Due to lazyness, I haven't updated the photo's.)

For more current pictures, check out:
    http://www.jeffkirvin.net/2008/08/21...uld-look-like/

Internet Explorer:

And just to show that some app's aren't really effected by DPI:

You can see larger versions of the above at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ebagola/RealVGA
    Last edited by Ebag333; 08/22/2008 at 01:26 AM.
    hope there was a way to change the dpi for different programs, like example change the dpi for only SPB Mobile shell and leave the other one at regular dpi
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by superman26 View Post
    hope there was a way to change the dpi for different programs, like example change the dpi for only SPB Mobile shell and leave the other one at regular dpi
    Unfortunatly that's not the way DPI works.
  5.    #5  
    First post updated with info, second post updated with digital pr0n.
    Nice work, Ebag!

I will have to give this a try when I get the time to play around with it.

Any ETA on fixing the known bugs?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Any ETA on fixing the known bugs?
    I've been working on them for the past week or so. So no. I'm not even sure *WHY* they're happening. I would think it's a issue with one of the stock DLL's not being resized properly...but there's 581 DLL's. It's like searching for a needle in a stack of needles.
    Nice, I really need to play with this when I get a chance. Any pics of slingplayer in this mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I've been working on them for the past week or so. So no. I'm not even sure *WHY* they're happening. I would think it's a issue with one of the stock DLL's not being resized properly...but there's 581 DLL's. It's like searching for a needle in a stack of needles.
    581? Yeah, I see your point...

Insol's thread shows a start menu button. I wonder where the difference lies.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Nice, I really need to play with this when I get a chance. Any pics of slingplayer in this mode?
    I don't use/have slingplayer....so no.

Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    581? Yeah, I see your point...

Insol's thread shows a start menu button. I wonder where the difference lies.
    Yeah, I've followed his instructions to a T, and still don't get it. I'm not sure what the difference is. I've PM'd him, but no response.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    SlingPlayer has been a no-go for me under any version of RealVGA. They simply need to update the app for the 800w.

Good to see some more progress on this -- I'm surprised at how many folks don't seem to care about it at all. Higher resolution is the 800w's biggest perk, and Palm tried to strip it away!
    That sucks.
  13.    #13  
    Any pics of slingplayer in this mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by kalibar View Post
    SlingPlayer has been a no-go for me under any version of RealVGA. They simply need to update the app for the 800w.
    That sucks.
    Waah waah waah. You big babies.

Looks like it works to me. A bit hard to read, but... *shrug*

I don't have a Sling box, so I can't fully test it.

(See attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ebag, i have this installed, it works well, only aggravating thing so far, is that when i hit the green button when i am not on the today screen, it brings up the wm6 call log, is there a way i can have the green button take me to the today screen instead?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Waah waah waah. You big babies.

Looks like it works to me. A bit hard to read, but... *shrug*
    Yeah, that's what it looks like. The real problem is when you try to connect, the video is uber-screwed. You can check out the thread at Sling Media's forums for a picture (third post). Nobody realistically has any business expecting RealVGA to solve SlingPlayer's problems: SlingPlayer is fundamentally broken on 320x320, and the product is blatantly (and arguably excessively) for-profit. Hopefully the Sling guys get the shít sorted out soon.

What I would like to see is a unified community effort (like this and/or insol's thread seem to offer) at a maintained 96dpi solution, RealVGA or otherwise. That's the only way it's going to have any chance at being supported by applications that do offer "800w support." It sounds like we've already lost Spb Mobile Shell. Honestly, I wonder how difficult it would be as a community to convince Palm they were being ridiculous and to include a 96dpi setting (preferably as default) in the official 800w firmware.

Also, how does the dialpad look on this release? I haven't loaded yours up yet, but this is what I get on insol's version:

Thanks again for all your hard work -- both you and insol.
  16.    #16  
    Yeah, that's what it looks like. The real problem is when you try to connect, the video is uber-screwed. You can check out the thread at Sling Media's forums for a picture (third post). Nobody realistically has any business expecting RealVGA to solve SlingPlayer's problems: SlingPlayer is fundamentally broken on 320x320, and the product is blatantly (and arguably excessively) for-profit. Hopefully the Sling guys get the shít sorted out soon.
    Ah. Thank's for the explanation. Sounds lame.

What I would like to see is a unified community effort (like this and/or insol's thread seem to offer) at a maintained 96dpi solution, RealVGA or otherwise. That's the only way it's going to have any chance at being supported by applications that do offer "800w support." It sounds like we've already lost Spb Mobile Shell. Honestly, I wonder how difficult it would be as a community to convince Palm they were being ridiculous and to include a 96dpi setting (preferably as default) in the official 800w firmware.

Also, how does the dialpad look on this release? I haven't loaded yours up yet, but this is what I get on insol's version:

Thanks again for all your hard work -- both you and insol.
    If anyone wants to work with me on improving the 96 DPI support that's more than welcome.

Part of the problem is that anything that's not designed for multiple DPI's may be adversely affected. For a quick example, the active call screen is really too wide/long. That can be (somewhat) fixed with smaller images (lower DPI, IIRC it's at 72 DPI by default) but then that means it'd be smaller if you switched back to the 128 DPI. *PROBABLY* won't break anything, but it might.

I believe I've fixed the majority of the bugs in it. Unfortunatly it doesn't want to uninstall so I can install it again (even though it's *REALLY* uninstalled). So I'll probably have to hard reset and restore before I can test it. Blah.

The dialpad looks the same. That's one of the changes that I can make....but might possibly break the 128 DPI.
    Exactly how does one go about adjusting the resolution? I installed the Real VGA 800w.cab and copied the mort script to my \Windows\ directory. Now what do I do?

Thanks!
    Zach
    Yeah, that's what it looks like. The real problem is when you try to connect, the video is uber-screwed.
    Oh that issue. The "uber-screwed" video is solved by going to the advanced tab in options and click on Use GDI Rendering. The main issue on the 800w is the small size of the video. If RealVGA solves the size issue I'm all over it.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Ebag, a few things I noticed after install:

1. I do get Ev icon (when wifi is off only).
    2. When I make a call the active call plugin gets stuck on the screen. Until i reboot? Is this normal?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
    Exactly how does one go about adjusting the resolution? I installed the Real VGA 800w.cab and copied the mort script to my \Windows\ directory. Now what do I do?

Thanks!
    Zach
    Check your program files.

Quote Originally Posted by kwyatt View Post
    Ebag, a few things I noticed after install:

1. I do get Ev icon (when wifi is off only).
    2. When I make a call the active call plugin gets stuck on the screen. Until i reboot? Is this normal?
    1) No. This (hopefully!) is fixed in the newest version. I will (hopefully!) be uploading the newer version tonight.

2) No. Hmm, I may need to pin the active plugin. Make sure that the *ONLY* plugin above "Active Call" is the lookup one(s).

If RealVGA solves the size issue I'm all over it.
    Only one way to find out....
Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast