1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    How does a phone discharge on a charge?

LED charge light was on
    WisBar Battery bar indicating charging
    Hooked up to car charger

And the F'in battery still died? WTF????
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    How does a phone discharge on a charge?

LED charge light was on
    WisBar Battery bar indicating charging
    Hooked up to car charger

And the F'in battery still died? WTF????
    What all were you doing? It sounds like the drain on the phone was greater than the amount of charge provided by the car charger.

Either that or the batter overheated which will cause it to stop charging.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    What all were you doing? It sounds like the drain on the phone was greater than the amount of charge provided by the car charger.

Either that or the batter overheated which will cause it to stop charging.
    Well, I must admit, I had GPS going, EVDO, Phone, and Pics and Vids app open. But still, none the less you would have thought the car charger would have kept up with it. Then again, the car charger is not specifically designed for the 800w.

My post was more of a vent, because of my expectation being a little bloated.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    What are the specs of the car charger? Sounds like it is not giving enough juice to the treo. I had a car charger that did something similar. Bought a new one from Walmart and it works fine.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    What are the specs of the car charger? Sounds like it is not giving enough juice to the treo. I had a car charger that did something similar. Bought a new one from Walmart and it works fine.
    No idea, I don't think it is even printed on the charge. I just came in some cheap packing from a CEll Phone City type place. I actually died on USB connected to the desktop, though it was charging in the car on the way home.. I have already come to the conclusion that the USB charging is terribly slow, and doesn't charge particularly well.
    I had this happen to me, with no idea why. I got a new battery from sprint. I didn't have any extras on, I was just talking on the phone.
    Did you run the battery all the way down? I ran into that problem on my second day. It ran completely dead, put it on the charger for over an hour, took it off, got in the truck and looked at the phone. Dead. Put it on the car charger and did not get the light right away. I started to head over to the Sprint store and realized the light was on and charging. The moral for me was to never run it completly down.
    Last week I ran Live Search on GPS ("center on GPS") and used turn-by-turn for 40 minutes in my car. Did this twice a day for 3 days and no problems.

I used a Radio Shack micro-USB car charger and it charged my phone while constantly pulling down RevA map data, GPS and fetching email. Screen was at 100% entire time.

Though it didn't rapid charge, my charge was still greater than my discharge resulting in a net gain of battery by the time I reached my destination (like 5%).

Two recommendations:
    1. Use only approved car chargers/confirmed to be working (no cheapies)
    2. If warm out, put the AC vent on the phone to keep it cool--I do that for all my electronics as the cooler, the better
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/18/2008 at 04:25 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    Bought a new one from Walmart and it works fine.
    I've seen a few people mention the cheapo Walmart one that supports 1amp charge. Any tips on finding the right one? Model # or part number or anything like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwg View Post
    I've seen a few people mention the cheapo Walmart one that supports 1amp charge. Any tips on finding the right one? Model # or part number or anything like that?
    It's the only MicroUSB charger they have in the Durabrand line. I believe it says it is for Motorola phones. It is $10.00. It works like a charm.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I checked the walmart wall charger 110v and it has 0.65a output.
    The palm charger has 1.0a output, could make a difference if the car charger is putting out 65% of the needed power while running aps and using the phone. Not enough to do that and charge the battery.
    I have the Walmart charger... I routinely run Sprint Navigation while listening to audiobooks via BT. The charger keeps right up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I have the Walmart charger... I routinely run Sprint Navigation while listening to audiobooks via BT. The charger keeps right up.
    +1.

I've had no problems with the cheap Durabrand charger keeping up with TomTom 6 and Internet radio.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

I used the palm wall charger and had this problem.

I had just installed gpstoday and probably had the program draining the battery, so it died while charging. turned the gpstoday off, now its cool.

could be a bug?

live search heavy use as another poster stated should be bug free, therefor no drain...

crazy stuff and puts u on edge w/a new phone
    I had this issue with a battery I purchased off eBay. I sent it back and got another sealed battery off eBay and all has been well since.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    cheap car chargers can be as low as 200 mA to 300 mA. Moderate ones can be 500 to 600 mA. Very good chargers would be 1000 to 1200 mA (1.2 A).

If no specs are written on the charger thing is written it is probably really crap.

In my experience with everything on the handset draws less than 400 mA.