1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have a friend who has the AT&T treo 750. He is done waiting for the 750 & is ready for another phone. I keep telling him to wait for the 850 but he has had a few unresolved issues (minor to me but major to him).

He used his 750 while on a cruise ship in Europe (only when getting in the various ports). He is willing to try the 800w to see how he likes it.

Is the radio 'special' in the 750 for international usage? Would the 800w not work where the 750 would?

Thanks,
    Rich
    The 800w will not work in some places the 750 works. The 750 is an unlocked GSM phone.
    The 800w is a CDMA phone only. CDMA is mostly used in the USA and Canada. It is used in Korea, and some other countries, but I believe they use a different frequency.

The 750 is a GSM phone, so it works almost all over the world.

If your friend is that desperate for a new phone, and has to go with Sprint, tell him to look at the Samsung ACE. It has both a CDMA radio and a GSM radio, so he can travel overseas with it.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    If your friend is that desperate for a new phone, and has to go with Sprint, tell him to look at the Samsung ACE. It has both a CDMA radio and a GSM radio, so he can travel overseas with it.
    Why get an ace over a cheap $40 unlocked euro band gsm? You arent going to use the ace for email etc since it has no wifi and it will there cost a fortune to use data.

Data roaming costs are outright murder, and prepaid european sim data charges is also insane, you are actually much better off carrying two handsets, one a pda with Wifi and a cheap unlocked GSM of the type you can find on ebay for $40.

I find it maddening in that you cant yet get a cdma pda that has GSM and WiFi as far as I know. Without it you will get killed using the pda as a pda unless you have a very fat expense account.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Why get an ace over a cheap $40 unlocked euro band gsm?
    "If your friend is that desperate for a new phone, and has to go with Sprint"

Helps to read the whole sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    "If your friend is that desperate for a new phone, and has to go with Sprint"

Helps to read the whole sentence.
    I think that the point is that this guy could buy a 'throw-away' specifically for using while traveling instead of buying another Sprint phone he may or may not really want.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    He could, but if all he needs is a something to call with while overseas, but he's looking for a PDA phone to use here at home, the ACE is the best choice...if he has to go with Sprint, that is.

I actually don't even understand the argument...if he bought a cheap GSM just for travel, he wouldn't be able to email on that, anyway, so what's the difference?
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w