View Poll Results: Did you read the specs & reviews about battery life before purchasing your Treo 800w?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I knew about the battery life and the device works for me within advertised specifications.

29 67.44%
  • Yes I knew about the battery life, but my Treo 800w does not meet advertised specifications.

7 16.28%
  • No I did not know about the battery life specifications before purchasing.

7 16.28%
  • I think I read something about battery life before purchasing, but didn't take it seriously.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Goes without saying that some are upset with their Treo 800w battery life, but I wonder if buyers were aware of the product's battery life before purchasing?

I mean the specs make it clear the device does not have a battery, that would allow anyone to use it heavily an entire day without having to hit the charger at least once. Reviews also point out the battery life could be a concern for those desiring to heavily use the device without being near a charger.

So I was not at all surprised ahead of purchasing about battery life and knew it would suit me just fine. But the way some speak about the Treo 800w, it's as if they never had any clue of what they were buying.
    Great thread... lol

Of course people knew the specs, but I doubt if they fully understood them or how they would relate to this device.

Some like to play victim for fun.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Actually I got it on the first few days so i don't think there were any reviews on it. But the specs claims battery life is okay.
    I read it, was aware of the situation and without hesitation purchased it. The battery life started on the weak side; however, I am now ending the day with 60% and that really is not bad.
    Read specs???? WHAT??? I haven't even read the manual yet.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lilboi View Post
    Actually I got it on the first few days so i don't think there were any reviews on it. But the specs claims battery life is okay.
    The extensive treocentral.com review of the Treo 800w was up 8:10AM the first day of the device's release.

The Cnet.com review was up the same day.

Reviewers had devices prior to the release date and it was all planned. So that their reviews would be released the same day the device went to market, to ensure potential buyers would have reviews available.

The reviews were out before I even got an announcement e-mail from Palm.

Mine has been working within the specs. I ordered my first the day of the release and saw the reviews then, which is what really made me order even faster, seeing the reviews. I did have to get a replacement, but not because of anything relating to the battery life.
    I thoroughly agree. The battery issue was an up-front item, never hidden by anyone. Frankly, it really is not that much worse than the stock batteries for my other devices. The amount of use I give the device is heavy; however, because I have various locations to stop at during a day, I habitually charge the device when in the car.
    Yes, I read/knew/accepted the battery situation with the Treo 800w. I was coming from another smartphone, the Kyo 7135, that had the same issues. Anyone who had one of those can relate to the complainers here, had the same thing on the 7135 forums. Eventually they switch devices and complain somewhere else.

The reason I went ahead with the 800w is the combination of features, size, function and the fact that I could buy an extra battery, have plenty of charging options and can set it up to suit my needs. All converged devices make you compromise somewhere or you'd end up with a huge device you wouldn't want to lug around.

I would have stayed with the 7135 but something happened to it where Verizon quit recognizing it and the 800w was the best replacement for it even if it meant I had to switch back to Sprint. Just like with the 7135, the online community is what makes it easy to optimize your ownership experience.
    I don't think the 800w - or any other smartphone - can come close to approximating quoted talk or standby times.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i agree i was going to say the same thing. realize review talk times and quoted talk times are just that full charge make a call till it dies and measure the time. Thats not typical usage people use texts and data and pda functions. Theres no way a review can accurately gauge your usage from any review of a battery.
    this is like the last poll, the language of the poll is not unlike "dpo you beat your wife every day or some days?" Even the initial comment by the OP are quite leading and opinionated.

Many of us bought the unit before the reviews. the cnet review is three and four days after sprint took all the pent up orders from treo central users anticipating the device.

Of course the serious flaw in the poll is that users who returned devices would likely not be on the forum so the polling data is skewed out of the gate.

Sprint and Palm know the battery is a problem, sprint due to the returns and free spare batteries, and palm form its use of a 1500ma in the next model.

As has been noted you can return the device, and the 30 day period is frankly plenty to see the battery life yourself. I think this is deifferent than the stsandalone gps problme which users might discover after 30 days.

I am just saddened that Palm deemphasized a decent battery on a business device. I really think the views of gizmo afficianodos (and I dont mean a fanboy pejorative) as on this board are different from business users. IMHO Palm should have targeted their defections to Blackberry and not tried to make the device 5% thinner by going from say 1500 to 1150.

We know what the difference between 1500 and 1150 is, it is 5% in thickness and a couple of grams, and maybe $2 to $5.

Would that be a good poll: Would you have prefered the treo 800 as is or with 1500 ma if it was the same footprint but 5% thicker, a couple of grams more and $4 more?
    Last edited by aero; 08/18/2008 at 03:31 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Many of us bought the unit before the reviews. the cnet review is three and four days after sprint took all the pent up orders from treo central users anticipating the device.
    Please tell us the exact date you purchased your device?
  13.    #13  
    I remember the Treo 300, 2.5 hours of talk time.

I remember the Treo 600, 4 hours of talk time.

I remember the Treo 650, 5 hours of talk time. (I personally don't feel it went 5 hours, but it was a bit better than my old Treo 600.)

And if you check all the other current Treo models, the talk time is low.
    And yes, the Centro owners claim their battery life is low too, just as the specs for the Centro detail.

I'm not sure why anyone would see specs noting about 4 hours of talk time and expect anything better than low battery life, but it was fairly straight forward when I read it. And owning Treos over the years I knew it meant the Treo 800w would have weak battery life, just like the rest of the line.

I find the battery life to be as advertised and consistent with what has always been the norm with Treos. I knew and accepted this going in.

I highly doubt Palm sold anyone a Treo 800w without making specs available.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I highly doubt Palm sold anyone a Treo 800w without making specs available.
    I've mentioned this several times.

Seems to me that some on this board failed to do their due diligence. Although, I can understand some complaining, but a couple of whiners have taken it to a new level.... it is like "Damn. Can you stf up already so others can find out how to increase the battery life or other little things that can be done. Yes, please go buy a BB and GO to their forums to complain. Tired of your continuous whining."

Some complaints are good though. After someone has mentioned the same thing in 10 threads it gets old.

Nice thread!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  15.    #15  
    theog - The way some complain you'd think no details at all were available before they made a purchase. Honestly, if they feel Palm deceived them into buying a device that is no good, they don't need to be here, they need to be talking to a lawyer.

But even they know, the fact is that Palm DID make the details available and they made a choice how they would take those details, or choose to not read them at all. THAT is why they are here crying instead of with a lawyer, because they know they've really got no case.

And yes they've got 30 days to take the thing back for a full refund, so those who do, good for them. And may they read the specs close before considering another Treo .

I've got a .
    I've got a .
    My wife's Moto Razr was far worse. You had to pull the battery and then slide the card in (no carriage or tray) and it went very far underneath of a shield so it was next to impossible to get in and out.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.

I'm not sure why anyone would see specs noting about 4 hours of talk time and expect anything better than low battery life, but it was fairly straight forward when I read it. And owning Treos over the years I knew it meant the Treo 800w would have weak battery life, just like the rest of the line.
    I knew from the specs that the battery was going to be bad, but the talk and standby times don't even hold up to those easy-to-achieve standards. I have not mentioned the battery death since I got a couple of spares for $20 on eBay. Now I have enough to get through any day.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  18.    #18  
    skfny - Perhaps you have WiFi, GPS or EVDO running? That would contribute to battery drain.

Perhaps what you felt the standard was to be is the problem, if you felt it included having various things such as WiFi, GPS or EVDO running.

You've been around here since 2002, so I assume you've had other Treos. Come on, you should know this already.
    I left my phone on standby from 2:30am till 11:30am: lost about 8% battery during that time, which seems normal

Only thing active was Weatherpanel updates every 2 hours

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20.    #20  
    Malatesta, you had GPS turned totally off?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast