View Poll Results: Did you read the specs & reviews about battery life before purchasing your Treo 800w?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I knew about the battery life and the device works for me within advertised specifications.

29 67.44%
  • Yes I knew about the battery life, but my Treo 800w does not meet advertised specifications.

7 16.28%
  • No I did not know about the battery life specifications before purchasing.

7 16.28%
  • I think I read something about battery life before purchasing, but didn't take it seriously.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Malatesta, you had GPS turned totally off?
    nah, though I have an icon linked to Hannip's tool, I rarely use it

My GPS and Location are always on and I've see zero difference in toggling either one on/off--I think it's either placebo with people or they had some type of GPS program on that was constantly tracking. Hannip even confirmed that the GPS hardware turns off when not being called on and there is no "bug" related to GPS battery drainage (just the standalone issue, which is separate).

my numbers are what I expect from any WM device: trickle battery depletion when the device is not doing much

people who have battery problems either need to

1. hard reset and not install anything and see if they see the same behavior, then one by one add programs/email accounts
    2. return/exchange the device because it dun broke

Because I always first look at the end-user when there are "problems" and the only way to tell is by doing a hard reset and running naked for a day or two to rule out hardware.

When I see "noobs" asking about registry mods or drastically altering the intended out-of-the-box behavior, it doesn't surprise me to find so people having "issues" on any WM device.

/rant

lol
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/19/2008 at 01:45 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2.    #22  
    I always keep my GPS on also, but I don't think it's a placebo, because Palm engineers recommend turning off the GPS radio for improved battery life. (And a whole lot of users agree.) Given the GPS radio is on by default out of the box, nobody is going to see the "advertised" specs unless they turn it off.

(For anyone wondering, to turn off the GPS radio, go to your "Today" screen and click the little icon that looks like a circular target. You can change it to 911 only.)
    I always keep my GPS on also, but I don't think it's a placebo, because Palm engineers recommend turning off the GPS radio for improved battery life. (And a whole lot of users agree.) Given the GPS radio is on by default out of the box, nobody is going to see the "advertised" specs unless they turn it off.

(For anyone wondering, to turn off the GPS radio, go to your "Today" screen and click the little icon that looks like a circular target. You can change it to 911 only.)
    As long as the hardware isn't running which does not necessarily require it being 'turned off' you should be fine. Mine hardware is always off so long as I don't have GPS apps running. And, yes, I have location turned 'On'. Hannip's handy app can tell you if the GPS service and hardware are on or off.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I always keep my GPS on also, but I don't think it's a placebo, because Palm engineers recommend turning off the GPS radio for improved battery life.
    But what I think they meant was not have your GPS radio on and connected, tracking satellites.

By default, the hardware is not doing that. It is just in a standby state ready to be called on by software.

If the GPS is tracking, it will drain batteries. Palm states that leaving Sprint Navigation open is bad right on their site and dollars to doughnuts, that's what the Palm engineers were referring to.

GPS in standby (e911 vs location) should not have an effect. Maybe Hannip can shed some light on this...

But the fact that I have all my GPS settings "on" by default and I don't have massive battery drainage from my perspective supports my theory, lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #25  
    Malatesta and gksmithlcw, you are correct, they were speaking of any applications running that might keep the GPS active. Things that might be running in the background someone might be unaware of. This thread has details.

Magic Button (I have not tried this yet.)
  6.    #26  
    Just gave Magic Button a spin. Works pretty well, except when trying to close the dial pad (phone) with it. Basically the Magic Button has to be used via the touch screen, using the "OK" button on the device will just minimize the application like before.
  7.    #27  
    I had to dump Magic Button. It seems to cause conflicts at times. Tonight my Wireless Manager and BT connection were acting up till I got rid of it. I didn't really "need" it, but it was neat to have.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12