Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok to use my live search w/ gps on to track the flight or is the plane going to crash?
    Your fast moving GPS signal will summon fighter jets!
    Live search requires data access, which downloads the maps. The GPS on the 800w is assisted GPS, which requires network access. Therefore, you will not be able to use it on the plane with Live Search. Your best option would be to use 3rd party GPS software, like TomTom or Garmin and buying an external GPS receiver. Then when you are on the plane, turn off the phone radio and run the GPS software with the external GPS.
    CDMA Equipment has no effect on Jet Navigations, nor does using GPS systems.

You more than likely will recieve Sprint signal up in the air- so this should work.

It is however a Federal Law to Comply with instructions and crewmembers to follow airline directions- which means you are not supposed to be doing this.

I don't see why you would want to anyway- unless you're talking about in your own personal plane, and in that instance I would suggest a more precise Flight/Marine GPS unit.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I have use GPS on airplane before.

You have to sit next to the window to get it. It need to be lock on the satellite. If you just turn it on like that, it will never get the signal. Plane is too fast.

If you are really dying to see where the plane has gone, then get a BT GPS reciever with memory. Just turn it on and sit near the window. Then tell it to save the way points like every 10 miles. When you get home, unload and save the file as a Google Earth format. Now run it from your Google earth softare and it will plot where you HAD been.

BT GPS with ROM is also another great device to slip in your car and see where your love one had gone. :-)
    If the GPS on the 800w wasn't broken, you'd be able to use it on the plane. Since they can't get standalone mode to work, you're out of luck. You're fine to use phones like the Mogul or Touch though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    If the GPS on the 800w wasn't broken, you'd be able to use it on the plane. Since they can't get standalone mode to work, you're out of luck. You're fine to use phones like the Mogul or Touch though.
    If your GPS is broke, then return it. I use it fine with Garmin, TomTom, Live Search, Google Maps, Vito AstroNavigator, Trackit Tracky Pro, and GPS Tuner.

If you have complaints about the GPS, I believe there's another topic on that here you can flood.
    Most of the airlines prohibit the use of GPS equipment while in flight, if a crew member asks you "What's that?" and they find out it is a GPS, they may ask you to shut it. Or, they may do far worse.

Read the fine print for your airline in regard to what electronics may be used onboard. They're afraid of interference (boogey man under the bed) and more afraid that you're telling your partners on the ground how to target the aircraft.

While you won't see it in the national Nooze, sky marshals have been arresting all sorts of people on aircraft in recent times. Folks who stayed in the lav too long, and tried to take apart the wall to get into the cockpit. (A NWA 747 last year.) All sorts of creative things that simply COULDN'T be innocent or accidental.

So save the GPS for the train.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I had GPS antenna (USB) and Delorme street atlas on my laptop on the plane. I could see myself moving fast on the map and it was cool! Flight attendants saw it and didn't care. Interference from GPS is BS, because GPS is receive only device, it does not transmit anything so it cannot interfere with anything. As far as doing this on 800w - while on the plane and on the ground or even before getting on the plane and the phone still on - turn on your favorite navigation software like tomtom or garmin. Get a GPS lock. Now you can turn the phone part off to comply with FCC rules - your phone does not transmit anything at this point but GPS should still work and should be able to continue maintain position lock as long as you are close enough to the window. Now you will be able to observe your position on the screen in real time. Live search would not work because it requires active data connection, which is a)practically impossible on the cruising altitude and b) against current FCC rules. I believe, btw ,some airlines in Europe now start to allow you to use your cell phone while in flight by having cellular base station with satelite/UHF uplink and charging you roaming fees, similar to what cruise ships do already. This BTW totally kills the interference theory, and kind of unhides the real reason, but that is a totally different story.
    Now ,about the "more afraid that you're telling your partners on the ground how to target the aircraft" :
    Most antiaircraft systems I know finds it's target by the radar data or even cheaper ones by the emitted heat/sound and they must be much cheaper and more available that those with sophisticated computer that can accept real time GPS coordinates from the Internet ) Just sending your coordinates to your arab-terrorist friends on the ground is not enough - by the time they get them and enter them in to the missile's computer , your plain will be far away, they would need a constant steam of data and a powerful computer to analyze and predict the future location.... not very practical....
    I'm not even sure coordinate based anti-aircraft missile systems exist, they work on a different principles. And, BTW - the easiest time/way to get the plane from the ground is when it takes off or about to land(low speed=little control, no chance for evasive manuver). It's very visible, very accessible by even very simple antiaircraft system, very vulnerable, and no need to kill a arab-terrorist friend on board ))
    Last edited by leonidm; 08/18/2008 at 12:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    I had GPS antenna (USB) and Delorme street atlas on my laptop on the plane. I could see myself moving fast on the map and it was cool! Flight attendants saw it and didn't care. Interference from GPS is BS, because GPS is receive only device, it does not transmit anything so it cannot interfere with anything. As far as doing this on 800w - while on the plane and on the ground or even before getting on the plane and the phone still on - turn on your favorite navigation software like tomtom or garmin. Get a GPS lock. Now you can turn the phone part off to comply with FCC rules - your phone does not transmit anything at this point but GPS should still work and should be able to continue maintain position lock as long as you are close enough to the window. Now you will be able to observe your position on the screen in real time. Live search would not work because it requires active data connection, which is a)practically impossible on the cruising altitude and b) against current FCC rules. I believe, btw ,some airlines in Europe now start to allow you to use your cell phone while in flight by having cellular base station with satelite/UHF uplink and charging you roaming fees, similar to what cruise ships do already. This BTW totally kills the interference theory, and kind of unhides the real reason, but that is a totally different story.
    Now ,about the "more afraid that you're telling your partners on the ground how to target the aircraft" :
    Most antiaircraft systems I know finds it's target by the radar data or even cheaper ones by the emitted heat/sound and they must be much cheaper and more available that those with sophisticated computer that can accept real time GPS coordinates from the Internet ) Just sending your coordinates to your arab-terrorist friends on the ground is not enough - by the time they get them and enter them in to the missile's computer , your plain will be far away, they would need a constant steam of data and a powerful computer to analyze and predict the future location.... not very practical....
    I'm not even sure coordinate based anti-aircraft missile systems exist, they work on a different principles. And, BTW - the easiest time/way to get the plane from the ground is when it takes off or about to land(low speed=little control, no chance for evasive manuver). It's very visible, very accessible by even very simple antiaircraft system, very vulnerable, and no need to kill a arab-terrorist friend on board ))
    If the flight is about 5-10 minutes, then yes, you can turn off the phone radio and you would still get a GPS lock. Unfortunately, being that it's network assisted, eventually, you will lose the GPS lock. I've tested this before. You can also test it. Run a 3rd party software, like TomTom or Garmin, with the phone radio on. Then turn off your phone radio. You will still see your movement on the GPS app. But after 5-10 minutes or so, you will lose your GPS lock.
    Wasn't it just common sense that the interference thing was BS? I really doubt they'd allow a massive object full of flammable fuel to fly through the skies if a simple cell phone could send it plummeting towards the ground.

As for sending your coordinates to somebody else, it's highly unlikely that would be done, as leonidm already said. There's much easier ways to get the job done, so why waste the effort, right?

It's been a while since I've flown, so I'm not sure if you would even get service up there...probably a little too high for the towers. I guess if they ever get the GPS to be standalone, then you could use it with no problem...unless a nervous flight attendant sees you.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    It would look suspicious if someone placed a GPS receiver by a window. Being a tech geek myself, if I saw someone else doing that, I would raise awareness to the staff. I wouldn't know what their intentions are. So with heightened security and awareness on planes, it's best to not use any external GPS receivers. Once/If Palm/Sprint decides to enable the GPS on the 800w to be trully standalone, then it maybe be easier.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Dont but your GPS and held it to the window. I put it on the arm rest.

But after 5 mins when the plane move fast, the lock is gone!
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    If the flight is about 5-10 minutes, then yes, you can turn off the phone radio and you would still get a GPS lock. Unfortunately, being that it's network assisted, eventually, you will lose the GPS lock. I've tested this before. You can also test it. Run a 3rd party software, like TomTom or Garmin, with the phone radio on. Then turn off your phone radio. You will still see your movement on the GPS app. But after 5-10 minutes or so, you will lose your GPS lock.
    I respectfully disagree - I had treo 800w for 10 days and played with GPS portion of it a lot, also I never activated it. My treo at least was able to maintain GPS lock for hours after the phone was turned off as long as (important) GPSgate was running and feeding signal to Garmin, Igo8 or Tomtom 7
    I beleive GPS related thread of this form also confirm my findings. It is however possible that different Treo's 800w behave in a different way.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    I respectfully disagree - I had treo 800w for 10 days and played with GPS portion of it a lot, also I never activated it. My treo at least was able to maintain GPS lock for hours after the phone was turned off as long as (important) GPSgate was running and feeding signal to Garmin, Igo8 or Tomtom 7
    I beleive GPS related thread of this form also confirm my findings. It is however possible that different Treo's 800w behave in a different way.
    Although you never activated it, you still have signal. You can confirm this by calling an emergency number, like 911. I believe, by law, deactivate phones still have the ability to dial emergency numbers. Now turn off the phone radio and see if you get a GPS lock. I actually tested this out. I drove with Garmin and TomTom. I turned off the phone radio, I will still being tracked, with the correct speed and turns I was making. After about 5-10 minutes, I could no longer get a GPS lock. Even though I was going away, I was even in very strong range of a Sprint antenna. I decided to turn back. Still no lock.

I haven't seen any threads contradicting my findings.

EDIT: Here's the test I did, from this post...

I just ran some tests of my own using Garmin while coming home from a friends house.

1. Garmin on - Phone Radio on - Signal and routed with no problems.

2. Turned off the phone radio, then turned Garmin on - Garmin would keep displaying "searching for satelite". Also, the OS kept displaying repeatedly (like every 2-3 seconds), a message regarding cannot connect.

3. While Garmin was on and navigativng, I turned the phone radio off - Suprisingly, Garmin still navigated, but only for a few miles. Strangely, Garmin lost signal when I was about 1000' feet from the nearest Sprint cell tower and going further away. I kept driving away and decided to drive back to the cell tower. Garmin never picked up any satelites. I also received OS messages on my device regarding cannot connect, but not as frequent. Maybe only every 5 minutes or so.

The only test I am not able to do is having Garmin on and driving to an area with no Sprint coverage (roaming) and also driving to a dead zone area (No sprint coverage or roaming).

So feel free to verify the test, come up with your own conclusions, or whatever. I also do not know much about GPS, but what my assumption about Network assisted GPS is that our GPS systems our phones, require assistance of the network to acquire your location. He did mention that CDMA phones with GPS are network assisted GPS. He did not mention anything about GSM phones with GPS or even the iPhone.
    From the original thread.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 08/18/2008 at 10:47 PM.
    I've done it before with a Treo 700 and a Emtac BT unit. Like mentioned before, you have to sit by the window. You also have to turn it on while the plane is stationary otherwise it won't pick up the signal. Recently I 'watched' my flight from Dallas to NYC on TomTom. I wish I could have had another unit and app going just to see if the speed was correct.

And no, the plane won't crash.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I know that also my phone is not activated it still sees towers,that is how I was able to get the lock in the first place, but after getting the lock i was turning the phone radio off to save battery and most important get rid of annoying data connection screens and was still able to navigate for hours. did you use GPSgate ?
    If your GPS is broke, then return it. I use it fine with Garmin, TomTom, Live Search, Google Maps, Vito AstroNavigator, Trackit Tracky Pro, and GPS Tuner.
    If you have complaints about the GPS, I believe there's another topic on that here you can flood.
    Eddie, no offense but this thread IS about GPS on a plane. The broken standalone is in fact the reason why this wont work.

Sprint knows the Standalone GPS is broken and is claiming to be working with Palm to Fix it. Palm knows it is broken and says it is an issue they are looking into.
    No offense taken. It's just it was mentioned that it was broke. Whether you are on a plane, train, or automobile, it shouldn't matter.

On a side note. It appears that the GPS does work standalone, but requires GPSGate. I just tried using it with GPSTuner (phone radio turned off). I will conduct further tests and start a new thread.
  20. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    It appears that the GPS does work standalone, but requires GPSGate.
    If this is the case it's a pretty big breakthrough for all the people disappointed about the lack of standalone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast