Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have an HP Ipaq Travel Companion, and brought it on flights a lot. It took a while to get a lock on the satellites (I guess moving at 500mph may have that effect). People looked like me like i was a terrorist, as I was holding it up to the window like I was crazy. I looked through all of the policies, and couldn't find anything about GPS. I was told to put it away only when we were near or descent (when everything needs to be turned off).

Cell phones have no effect on the planes navigation equiptment, but it has a considerable effect on the radio. Have you ever been near any type of magnetic speaker or radio right before you get an incoming call? Do you hear that 'TICK TICK TICK' interference in the speaker? Imagine 100 passengers with their phones on, causing that 'TICK TICK TICK' in the cockpit.

That being said, there's absolutely no way to get an unaided CDMA or GSM signal in the air, unless you are very close to the ground (2,000 feet or so)...trust me, I have tried (I know, I'm a rebel!). Think about it - the cellular towers are only a few hundred feet high - how are they supposed to broadcast 6 miles (30,000+) feet into the air!??!
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    Cell phones have no effect on the planes navigation equiptment, but it has a considerable effect on the radio. Have you ever been near any type of magnetic speaker or radio right before you get an incoming call? Do you hear that 'TICK TICK TICK' interference in the speaker? Imagine 100 passengers with their phones on, causing that 'TICK TICK TICK' in the cockpit.
    When you get a call you are transmitting. the further you are from a tower the more power (usually) you phone will transmit at.

Standalone GPS devices on the other hand do not transmit for GPS functions. They only receive.

I am not saying any of it absolutely does not cause interference, studies differ, but reception devices are different than transmission devices/modes and all things being equal would present considerably lower risk.
    Actually, I believe that noise that breaks into speakers when you get a phone call only applies to GSM phones. I remember reading that somewhere, and from personal experience, I never hear it with my phones, but my friends' GSM phones do it all the time.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12