1.    #1  
    I'm new to basically any type of phone that has more functionality then a calulator. I've had my 800w for probably 3 weeks now and I've got it setup just right thanks to these forums.

I just received a storage card from newegg and I had a question. What do I store on the card and what should I keep in system memory? I've seen posts where people said specific things need to be installed to specific places..... Themes/Icons/etc... what good practices should I inherit?

Thank you.
    The 800w has plenty of program space available. So you can store all your apps, themes, icons, on the device since it has allot of program space available. And put documents, music, audio/video files on the Micro SD card. I also keep backups of the device on the Micro SD card, as well as .cab files that I have installed on the device. I also place the maps for Garmin and TomTom on the card.

Also, since the 800w has BT and Wi-Fi, if your computer has BT and/or you have a Wi-Fi network, it's better to send/receive files via BT/Wi-Fi instead of constantly removing the Micro SD card and placing it in a Micro SD card reader. You may end up losing or damaging the card if you keep constantly removing/inserting it.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 08/17/2008 at 12:13 PM.
    I have always tended to put as little as possible on the device and there for what works from the card goes to the card, which is most everything in both the POS and WM worlds. I find though that if it has to interact with another application or play automagically that it really wants to be in main memory.

At this time I have 52.6mb free of main memory for program usage; 93.7 free for storage and on the card I have 7166mb of memory free.

I would venture to say that I have 4 applications installed to the device and the rest on the card.
    I say install everything into main memory. There is no reason not to anymore. If you install onto a storage card, you can't just restore your phone and have your applications work; they have to be reinstalled anyway. Your storage card is slower than your built in storage for applications and to top it all off, the Treo 800w has plenty of room for tons of applications to be installed. I think I currently have about 15 applications installed and I still have about 85.20MB of free space for more programs (out of a total of 169.02MB).

Use your storage card to store all of your data i.e. pictures, documents, Sprite backups, etc; anything you want to persist should you ever need to clear your phone.
    Last edited by Kasracer; 08/17/2008 at 02:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I say install everything into main memory. There is no reason not to anymore. If you install onto a storage card, you can't just restore your phone and have your applications work; they have to be reinstalled anyway. Your storage card is slower than your built in storage for applications and to top it all off, the Treo 800w has plenty of room for tons of applications to be installed. I think I currently have about 15 applications installed and I still have about 44.93MB of free space for more programs (out of a total of 99.30MB).

Use your storage card to store all of your data i.e. pictures, documents, Sprite backups, etc; anything you want to persist should you ever need to clear your phone.
    the 99.30 megs of memory is like the RAM in your computer its for actually running the programs not installing them, that would be your storage memory.
    700WX -> 800W -> Touch Diamond -> Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k4mach View Post
    the 99.30 megs of memory is like the RAM in your computer its for actually running the programs not installing them, that would be your storage memory.
    Erm, I accidently switched them around when I typed. Fixed
    Hi, if I already have applications installed on the main memory how do I now move it to my storage? do I have to reinstall?

now I got 4GB to use... is the Media player on WM good enough for podcast or should I buy something Ptune? I do not use streaming but mostly just playlist of music and podcast.

should I reformat this on my pc before I permitly insert into my 800?

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I have always tended to put as little as possible on the device and there for what works from the card goes to the card, which is most everything in both the POS and WM worlds. I find though that if it has to interact with another application or play automagically that it really wants to be in main memory.

At this time I have 52.6mb free of main memory for program usage; 93.7 free for storage and on the card I have 7166mb of memory free.

I would venture to say that I have 4 applications installed to the device and the rest on the card.
    Last edited by justdoit2; 08/18/2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: 1 more question
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w