Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I didn't quite realize how much I use my PDA as a multimedia device until I received the 800w. I use it with headphones while running. I use it connected to my stereo while weightlifting. I use it with heavy duty headphones for watching movies on planes. I also use it connected to my stereo in my car while commuting to work. I unfortunately bought the motorola 3.5mm adapter which doesn't work (needs to be fixed on TreoNauts!), and I don't want to go the bluetooth route as I can't imagine battery life with another radio running.

With the Treo Pro recently announced, I am quite tempted to return the 800w and wait for the Pro. I am actually quite pleased otherwise with the 800w, but the adapter is a huge problem, and the Pro has so much else going for it.

Just looking to vent aloud. Decisions, decisions.
    Is the Treo Pro worth switching to AT&T over? That will be the killer for most people right there, I think.
    How long do you run? I use a BT headset, while listening to an streamed internet radio station on Pocket Tunes, when I walk my dog. The walks can take from an hour to almost 2 hours. Even though I'm draining the battery faster using data and BT simultanously, I probably can go about 3-4 hours total with both data and BT.

I also bowl. With a (sort of) 30' range with BT, I usually put my bowling bag near an outlet, with my phone in the bag, connected to a wall charger. I can then bowl using the headset. I'm usually always listening to an internet radio station with my BT headset. I can last the whole 3 hours, plus more. On my car ride home, I have a car charger, so I have no issues there.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    With the Treo Pro recently announced, I am quite tempted to return the 800w and wait for the Pro. I am actually quite pleased otherwise with the 800w, but the adapter is a huge problem, and the Pro has so much else going for it.

Just looking to vent aloud. Decisions, decisions.
    Did someone convince you that the Pro has a 3.5mm jack on board? Or a 2.5mm jack? It doesn't--same deal with the 800w.

Did you try the Palm adapter? Seems like the likely fix...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Is the Treo Pro worth switching to AT&T over? That will be the killer for most people right there, I think.
    Well, I actually use AT&T for my phone service. I didn't activate my 800w, and I primarily use a cheap flip phone for my cell phone. I am well known for dropping my phones and breaking them, and I learned quickly that dropping a PDA phone costs a lot more to repair than a cheap flip phone!

My seller just emailed me and said to feel free and return the phone if I wish. Not sure what to do just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Did someone convince you that the Pro has a 3.5mm jack on board? Or a 2.5mm jack? It doesn't
    ???

Did I miss something? He's talking about the Treo Pro, not the Touch.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  7.    #7  
    Did someone convince you that the Pro has a 3.5mm jack on board? Or a 2.5mm jack? It doesn't--same deal with the 800w.

Did you try the Palm adapter? Seems like the likely fix...
    Thanks Mal, but that Palm adapter is just a splitter for the ear buds that came with the device. I need a better set of headphones for running/listening on planes.

Also, most of the leaked Treo Pro specs/pics show a 3.5mm jack on board.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=169781
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    How long do you run? I use a BT headset, while listening to an streamed internet radio station on Pocket Tunes, when I walk my dog. The walks can take from an hour to almost 2 hours. Even though I'm draining the battery faster using data and BT simultanously, I probably can go about 3-4 hours total with both data and BT.

I also bowl. With a (sort of) 30' range with BT, I usually put my bowling bag near an outlet, with my phone in the bag, connected to a wall charger. I can then bowl using the headset. I'm usually always listening to an internet radio station with my BT headset. I can last the whole 3 hours, plus more. On my car ride home, I have a car charger, so I have no issues there.
    Well, I usually only run up to an hour at a time, so that's not too bad. But, I have to consider cost of a set of bluetooth headphones for running (up to $100) and one of those FM car things for my commute ($40 or $60). That's a lot of cash. Plus I would still have no means of hooking the device up to my speakers for weightlifting (I hook my PDA up to a set of speakers with a built-in amplifier). Also, all of these extra bluetooth devices mean more chargers...when the whole issue could be solved with a simple working adapter. Eh.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Last edited by PDAholic; 08/16/2008 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    ???

Did I miss something? He's talking about the Treo Pro, not the Touch.
    My bad, I'm so fixated on "Touch Pros" as of late that I'm having brain farts now with the "Treo Pro".

Ugh.

Thanks Mal, but that Palm adapter is just a splitter for the ear buds that came with the device. I need a better set of headphones for running/listening on planes.
    For running you should seriously think about getting a pair of Moto S9s and an arm sleeve. You'll never get a better combo.

Battery life is not that big of a deal as I can easily get 2-3 hours of streaming BT even at super high quality.

Personally I'm never going back to wired headphones. I'll have my review of Jabra's 8030 next week, but they are one of the best sounding headphones I have used (plus they double as awesome speakers--great for conference calls, skype or a movie).

11.    #11  
    My bad, I'm so fixated on "Touch Pros" as of late that I'm having brain farts now with the "Treo Pro".

Ugh.
    No prob, Malatesta. Are you thinking of getting a Touch Pro? I think that has a slide-out keyboard, right? I went that route with the HTC Apache...never again!

I think the one thing holding me back from returning the 800w is the excellent keyboard. I have a Centro, and its keyboard is definitely a step below that on the 800w. Argh!

Wow, that Jabra 8030 is impressive. I look forward to the review!!!
    No prob, Malatesta. Are you thinking of getting a Touch Pro? I think that has a slide-out keyboard, right? I went that route with the HTC Apache...never again!
    Eh, the geek in me wants to buy and try every smartphone (regardless of OS), but I'm in agreement with you: I don't really care for sliders. It was cool when it was the only choice on Sprint, but I really dig the Treo form factor. Plus, no side keys on the device is going to make it very limited in functionality. I like buttons, especially configurable ones.
    Wow, that Jabra 8030 is impressive. I look forward to the review!!!
    This is one of the few devices that really makes be go "wow"

Eh, the geek in me wants to buy and try every smartphone (regardless of OS), but I'm in agreement with you: I don't really care for sliders. It was cool when it was the only choice on Sprint, but I really dig the Treo form factor. Plus, no side keys on the device is going to make it very limited in functionality. I like buttons, especially configurable ones.

This is one of the few devices that really makes be go "wow"
    It's too bad that when Sprint releases the Treo Pro for Windows we will already be on smartphones of the Android variety or the Palm OS II which hopefully will have the same basic design of the Treo Pro but only better. Sad this is one time being CDMA on Sprint, we lossed Big Time
    Well, I usually only run up to an hour at a time, so that's not too bad. But, I have to consider cost of a set of bluetooth headphones for running (up to $100) and one of those FM car things for my commute ($40 or $60). That's a lot of cash. Plus I would still have no means of hooking the device up to my speakers for weightlifting (I hook my PDA up to a set of speakers with a built-in amplifier). Also, all of these extra bluetooth devices mean more chargers...when the whole issue could be solved with a simple working adapter. Eh.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    BT stereo headsets are getting cheaper. When I purchased my Motorola S9 about a year ago, I paid just over $100. Now I think they run about $70. I recently purchase Jabra BT3030's at NewEgg.com for about $40. Both the Motorola S9 and Jabra BT3030's use Mini USB connection for charging. For home, you could just use a Motorola Mini USB charger and a Motorola Mini USB to Micro USB adapter. Like in my case, I have 1 charger and I can charger either my phone, S9, or BT3030.

I remember when I was on a 700wx, someone had a diagram on how to make the stock 700wx charge cable into a charge & sync cable. I'm not sure of the pinouts for the Micro USB, but I figure someone would eventually figure out how to wire it so you can use a wired stereo headphone.
  15.    #15  
    BT stereo headsets are getting cheaper. When I purchased my Motorola S9 about a year ago, I paid just over $100. Now I think they run about $70. I recently purchase Jabra BT3030's at NewEgg.com for about $40. Both the Motorola S9 and Jabra BT3030's use Mini USB connection for charging. For home, you could just use a Motorola Mini USB charger and a Motorola Mini USB to Micro USB adapter. Like in my case, I have 1 charger and I can charger either my phone, S9, or BT3030.

I remember when I was on a 700wx, someone had a diagram on how to make the stock 700wx charge cable into a charge & sync cable. I'm not sure of the pinouts for the Micro USB, but I figure someone would eventually figure out how to wire it so you can use a wired stereo headphone.
    Thanks Crazy Eddie. I will check out those bluetooth headsets. To be honest I have been itching to buy a bluetooth headset for a while. It is hard to justify doing so, however, when I have a decent set of wired headphones at home. Would be cool to have a wireless headset in the airport, though.

I saw the diagram at Howard Forums regarding how to wire a Motorola adapter to work with the 800w. I'm not skilled with a soldering iron, though.

Ironically, as you made your post, I was looking up your cdate program!
    I'll have my review of Jabra's 8030 next week, but they are one of the best sounding headphones I have used (plus they double as awesome speakers--great for conference calls, skype or a movie).
    Those look nice, can't wait to read your review..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Thanks Crazy Eddie. I will check out those bluetooth headsets. To be honest I have been itching to buy a bluetooth headset for a while. It is hard to justify doing so, however, when I have a decent set of wired headphones at home. Would be cool to have a wireless headset in the airport, though.

I saw the diagram at Howard Forums regarding how to wire a Motorola adapter to work with the 800w. I'm not skilled with a soldering iron, though.

Ironically, as you made your post, I was looking up your cdate program!
    Since you're the OP, I guess it would be ok to deviate from the original topic. I actually made cDate+, soon after I made the final release of cDate. The plus allows you to use the Owners Name, phone, email, and even the Notes section, as well as the date. I used the notes section, since hardly anyone uses it. I like to mess with my friend, who is a Sprint Sales Engineer. I put Verizon on the Notes section, then ran cDate+, which dispalyed Verizon in the Carrier field. Then I told him I hacked the Rom and enabled it for Verizon and selling to Verizon subscribers wanting the 800w.

I slacked off in writing Morscripts and later noticed that CodyPPC wrote a Personalizer program, which allows you to put whatever you want in the field. I haven't looked at the code, but I would assume both of ours are similar.

Anyways, regarding the headsets. I like the Motorola S9, because it is wireless. My only cons are, it's hard to lie down on a pillow, since part of it is on the back of your head. Also the answer/end button is in between the volume up and volume down buttons. So I usually end up increasing/decreasing the volume, before I answer the call. Although the BT3030 is wireless, the headset portion is actually a regular stereo headset. So if you don't like the Jabra ones in the ear type headsets, you can easily change them. The little base, where the headsets plug into are BT. So it is "sort of" wireless.

I have a sort of small/average head, so when I use the Motorola S9 to walk my dog, they sometimes slip off one ear, since I sometimes run with my dog. So I usually use the BT3030. The only bad thing about the BT3030's that they use wired headsets.
  18.    #18  
    Again, thanks for all the info, Crazy Eddie! I will look at cdate+, it sounds like a nice addition to my today screen since we don't have hidelogo functioning. The S9 is designed similar to my current wired headset in that it rests behind my head. My only concern is that they won't stay in my ears when I run. My wired set has a design that slips over the ears and won't slip off.
    BT stereo headsets are getting cheaper. When I purchased my Motorola S9 about a year ago, I paid just over $100. Now I think they run about $70.
    I got an S9 with iPod D650 BT adapter for $35 for both at Office Depot for my wife last month. That was a steal (even though they are not very comfortable). They must be being discontinued since they are bing clearanced everywhere for about $40 to $45 (without an adapter). I use a BT8030 (was $24 recently) and while bulky is versatile and even works well as a speakerphone.

I would not however recommend either for working out.

If you want to stick with wired and don't want to use the included headset, why not simply cannibalize the micro usb on the included wired headset? The wiring is standard after the usb head.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I got an S9 with iPod D650 BT adapter for $35 for both at Office Depot for my wife last month. That was a steal (even though they are not very comfortable). They must be being discontinued since they are bing clearanced everywhere for about $40 to $45 (without an adapter). I use a BT8030 (was $24 recently) and while bulky is versatile and even works well as a speakerphone.

I would not however recommend either for working out.

If you want to stick with wired and don't want to use the included headset, why not simply cannibalize the micro usb on the included wired headset? The wiring is standard after the usb head.
    Aero,

Thanks for the info on the BT headsets--you got some excellent deals!

Yeah, cannibalizing, as you say (LOL) is something I thought about. I suppose I could see if radio shack has the female end of the 3.5mm jack and hook it up to the micro usb end of the chopped headset. But if I screw it up...

Hasn't this PDA been out a month? Where is Seidio (my favorite accessory company) and/or Palm on this issue?

Tonight I used my Centro (which has a broken rear speaker, I might add) with a modified Radio Shack connector for my weight training/running. My shiny new 800w sat woefully while I was out. Tisk, tisk.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast