Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    Hasn't this PDA been out a month? Where is Seidio (my favorite accessory company) and/or Palm on this issue?
    On the good side micro usb will be the standard so you are not stuck with an older system but one of the first out of the gate with the new system. Unfortunately that means there isn't enough user base yet but I think in a few months there will be. Design and ramp up manufacturer cost for small sales bases make things cost a lot more. (I am not optimistic a new battery and door will be cheap for quite some time for the same reason).

The problem with USB is although it is theoretically standard in practice it is not, and as long established with mini usb, you could have a dozen exclusive and proprietary permutations. For example with mini usb there are many many different ways to short or bridge with resistors the five (six with the sleave) pinouts, when there was supposed to be a permanent standard of four specific pin designations (5v, gnd, data + data -). Often there are tiny resistors in the head of the USB.

I fully understand why you and others want 3.5mm (and also why others have no idea why it is so important to you). Lots of people have excellent flitting excellent quality wired headsets that will always be better sound quality and less battery drain than BT.

In terms of deals look at sites such as slickdeals . net and fatwallet . com
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    On the good side micro usb will be the standard so you are not stuck with an older system but one of the first out of the gate with the new system. Unfortunately that means there isn't enough user base yet but I think in a few months there will be. Design and ramp up manufacturer cost for small sales bases make things cost a lot more. (I am not optimistic a new battery and door will be cheap for quite some time for the same reason).

The problem with USB is although it is theoretically standard in practice it is not, and as long established with mini usb, you could have a dozen exclusive and proprietary permutations. For example with mini usb there are many many different ways to short or bridge with resistors the five (six with the sleave) pinouts, when there was supposed to be a permanent standard of four specific pin designations (5v, gnd, data + data -). Often there are tiny resistors in the head of the USB.

I fully understand why you and others want 3.5mm (and also why others have no idea why it is so important to you). Lots of people have excellent flitting excellent quality wired headsets that will always be better sound quality and less battery drain than BT.

In terms of deals look at sites such as slickdeals . net and fatwallet . com
    Ha, yeah, you hit the nail on the head regarding the "standardization" of the micro usb port. I read many, many reviews on this device before purchasing, and many praised Palm for using a micro USB port which is "industry standard." Unfortunately, it is not industry standard if the wiring is different for the various applications!

I didn't learn how to use a soldering iron in my youth, and I wish I did. My dad is a retired electronics technician, but I couldn't figure out what the heck he was talking about most of the time, so I pursued a different path in life. Times like these I wish I had listened!

Thanks for the recs on the websites. Very nice!

BTW, I have all but resolved to send the 800w back. I will have a Seidio 800w holster coming to me that I purchased last week, and I will be selling it on here pretty cheap. Anybody who wants it, let me know.
    BTW, I have all but resolved to send the 800w back. I will have a Seidio 800w holster coming to me that I purchased last week, and I will be selling it on here pretty cheap. Anybody who wants it, let me know.

I sent you a PM.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
    I sent you a PM.
    PM replied J's got first dibs on the holster.
    Opposed to returning it to get your money back?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Opposed to returning it to get your money back?
    Well, heh, good point. I will see if Seidio is willing to do that. I've spent a lot of money on them in the past, hopefully they will be cool as it has already shipped. Thanks for the advice.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Aero,

Thanks for the info on the BT headsets--you got some excellent deals!

Yeah, cannibalizing, as you say (LOL) is something I thought about. I suppose I could see if radio shack has the female end of the 3.5mm jack and hook it up to the micro usb end of the chopped headset. But if I screw it up...

Hasn't this PDA been out a month? Where is Seidio (my favorite accessory company) and/or Palm on this issue?

Tonight I used my Centro (which has a broken rear speaker, I might add) with a modified Radio Shack connector for my weight training/running. My shiny new 800w sat woefully while I was out. Tisk, tisk.
    I made this.... sacrificing my Palm crapsets. See the bottom of this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168008
    If someone wants to take on for the team, perhaps trying this may help?

I find Moto's implementation of microUSB to be identical to Palms (e.g. needs a special charge cable/certain amount of power, etc.)

Motorola V9 MicroUSB 3.5mm Headphone Adapter SYN2113

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    If someone wants to take on for the team, perhaps trying this may help?

I find Moto's implementation of microUSB to be identical to Palms (e.g. needs a special charge cable/certain amount of power, etc.)

Motorola V9 MicroUSB 3.5mm Headphone Adapter SYN2113
    I already have this one. Actually two of them. They don't work!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    I made this.... sacrificing my Palm crapsets. See the bottom of this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168008
    Nice work! That's exactly what I was considering doing.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Nice work! That's exactly what I was considering doing.
    It works well for quality headphones. Only problem is the mic, for use in my car, hooked to a cassette adapter (which worked ridiculously well on my 700wx, BTW). The Treo senses the handsfree wired headset and disables the speakerphone (you cannot even choose it from the menu). The mic on the Palm headset thing has no echo cancellation... so when someone calls, they get lots of echo (they hear themselves from my car speakers). The only alternative in this case is to pull the plug out. So if your plans are for that type of setup, think again.
    Last edited by insol; 08/17/2008 at 02:55 PM.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    It works well for quality headphones. Only problem is the mic, for use in my car, hooked to a cassette adapter (which worked ridiculously well on my 700wx, BTW). The Treo senses the handsfree wired headset and disables the speakerphone (you cannot even choose it from the menu). The mic on the Palm headset thing has no echo cancellation... so when someone calls, they get lots of echo (they hear themselves from my car speakers). The only alternative in this case is to pull the plug out. So if your plans are for that type of setup, think again.
    Heh, interesting. That's what I loved about my iPaq 6945: plug it into the cassette player over the car stereo, and when you get a call, it automatically muted the music and you could talk over the speakerphone. The person's voice would come over the stereo. That was a nice setup.
    I didn't quite realize how much I use my PDA as a multimedia device until I received the 800w. I use it with headphones while running. I use it connected to my stereo while weightlifting. I use it with heavy duty headphones for watching movies on planes. I also use it connected to my stereo in my car while commuting to work. I unfortunately bought the motorola 3.5mm adapter which doesn't work (needs to be fixed on TreoNauts!), and I don't want to go the bluetooth route as I can't imagine battery life with another radio running.

With the Treo Pro recently announced, I am quite tempted to return the 800w and wait for the Pro. I am actually quite pleased otherwise with the 800w, but the adapter is a huge problem, and the Pro has so much else going for it.

Just looking to vent aloud. Decisions, decisions.

Check out this adapter? http://shop.treonauts.com/motorola-h...12A45A3533.htm Even with 700wx et al you had to use an adapter to use regular headphones...so this might be your solution.l
    archjak1, please only post a question to 1 comment thread in the future. We all see it the first time, but reposting the same thing in multiple threads only makes it annoying for all of us.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12