Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    How do you turn off the 800w?

I hold the power button once to turn off the phone signal from Sprint?

Then press the off button to turn it off? Thats when I dont see the screensaver.

Then to turn it on, I turn it on once to turn on the screen. Then press once more to turn on the phone signal?

It doesnt sound logical!
    So what 'sounds logical' to you then? Pray, enlighten us.
    These devices aren't ever really off. The only way to truly turn it off is to pull the battery.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Really???

For the Mogul, I press and hold the power button and its OFF. Like really off.

I press the side button to turn off the phone signal like when in flight.

This Treo thing doesnt make sense.

I like to turn off my phone every night to give it real rest.
    Yup, really.

It's designed to be on 24/7. It won't be in any harm by being on all the time. In the year that I've owned my 700wx, it's been truly off for MAYBE 1 hour...that's adding up all the times the battery completely died, or I took it out to replace the casing or something.

If you care that much, just pull out the battery every night. My opinion is that you shouldn't care that much.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Man, I guess I have no choice but to put it in sleep mode.

It perform the same way on the Palm OS when I went to the story to check it out today.

Taking out the battery is sooo da*n difficult! It keep on slipping my fingers. I have to try so many times.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Man, I guess I have no choice but to put it in sleep mode.

It perform the same way on the Palm OS when I went to the story to check it out today.

Taking out the battery is sooo da*n difficult! It keep on slipping my fingers. I have to try so many times.
    I had a lot of trouble getting the battery cover off at first. I have had to take it off many, many times as I have been trying out different software. I can assure you that it gets easier. Either the cover "loosens up" or your fingers figure out exactly what it takes to remove it.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    You taking off the cover many times to reset it? That is what I am afraid. Welcome to Palm as I never own any Palm device before.

It seem like each time it takes harder for me to get the cover off. Maybe as time go by, I will learn the secret as you said. Thanks.
    You'll get used to it being on 24/7. Everyone else did.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    You'll get used to it being on 24/7. Everyone else did.
    What's the point in turning off your phone at all?

Turning off the radio reduces battery drain to about 1% every hour. And most likely you're charging it every night anyway, so what's the big deal?

I have never turned off any phone for nights because phones don't actually need to "rest" or go through REM cycles.

Leave your phone on and save yourself the hassle!
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    You taking off the cover many times to reset it? That is what I am afraid. Welcome to Palm as I never own any Palm device before.
    Don't worry, man. Once you figure out which programs work and which don't, the device will be rock-solid and you won't have to reset it. Well, I shouldn't say you will NEVER have to reset it, but my device was very stable once I realized what software was compatible.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    Don't worry, man. Once you figure out which programs work and which don't, the device will be rock-solid and you won't have to reset it. Well, I shouldn't say you will NEVER have to reset it, but my device was very stable once I realized what software was compatible.
    Yeah right...

I haven't loaded any software and I have to reset at least daily because my device can't keep an usb activesync connection and won't reconnect without resetting.
    I usually disassemble my phones for the night.
    I agree with the OP that it is an unusual decision to allow for no Reset or turning off of this device.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    If Palm has been doing this since the beginning of time, then they are not going to change. I just didnt know about it since this is my first Treo.

I hope you all pay $7 per mth for this phone. Those slipping of battery case in and out sure will give way to something.
    get a software to reset the phone. Like dotfred TaskManager. It's a freeware (well donation would be appreciated), has a lot of neat stuff including a "suspend PPC" to rest your device properly. Get it from xda or from his website.
    Yeah, reset can be done by software. As for turning it off...I've said it before...it doesn't need to be done.

I actually constantly play with my battery door on my 700wx, and it has yet to come off by itself (except when I drop it...then the phone ends up in 3 pieces, but after I put it back together, it's all good).