1.    #1  
    So far I have connected with a whole variety of WiFi Hotspots, including Library, Starbucks (ATT), two Malls, and car dealer service waiting room. The local cable company has been rolling out wifi in certain sections of its service area and supposedly if you have cable internet from them, you can login in any of these public areas.

I was in New Canaan, CT today. The 800W found the connection, but when I tried to connect, it just kept trying and then timed out. Tried it twice.

Anyone in the Optimum Cable (Cablevision) service area try this? Any special settings? I would really like this to work.

Thanks. (By the way, love the wifi on this device!)
    They could have set security on the router to only allow certain MAC addresses to access it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    They could have set security on the router to only allow certain MAC addresses to access it.
    But if it is supposed to be open for any OptOnline subscriber, how would they know anything about my device (or laptop) until I try to sign on. They say on the website that when you open IE on your PC you get a sign on screen for entering your username and password. But I can't get that far.

Has anyone in the area tried?
    Quote Originally Posted by dougef View Post
    But if it is supposed to be open for any OptOnline subscriber, how would they know anything about my device (or laptop) until I try to sign on.
    If they are allowing by MAC address, then you need to let them know what it is. This is found on your device Start > Settings > Wi-Fi Prefs > Details. Then look for Device MAC.

They say on the website that when you open IE on your PC you get a sign on screen for entering your username and password. But I can't get that far.

Has anyone in the area tried?
    Looking at their website...

Depending upon your Wi-Fi device's settings, you may need to manually enter the hotspot's SSID.

The SSID at the Bridgeport and Port Jefferson ferry terminals and on the ferries is now optimumwifi_BP.

In all other locations the SSID is: optimumwifi.
    So you need to enter the SSID.

Although they Free Wi-Fi, it looks like it's only offered FREE (actually no additional costs) to their subscribers. Are you a subscriber? Did you contact their support?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post

So you need to enter the SSID.

Although they Free Wi-Fi, it looks like it's only offered FREE (actually no additional costs) to their subscribers. Are you a subscriber? Did you contact their support?
    How would I enter the SSID?

Yes I am a subscriber so this is a service I should be able to use.

As to calling their tech support - that is my last choice for help. How much success do you have when calling the cable company for tech support? I bet half of the CSRs don't know what WiFi is.
    How would I enter the SSID?

Yes I am a subscriber so this is a service I should be able to use.
    1. Turn on Wi-Fi.
    2. Go to Start > Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi
    3. Select Wireless tab, then click on Add New.
    4. In the Network Name field, enter the SSID.
    6. Select Next.
    7. Select the type of Authentication (probably OPEN)
    8. Select the Data Encryption (probably DISABLED)
    9. You may have to enter a network key and key index if Step 8 is not set to DISABLED.

As to calling their tech support - that is my last choice for help. How much success do you have when calling the cable company for tech support? I bet half of the CSRs don't know what WiFi is.
    I'm sure their tech support would know what Wi-Fi is, since it does describe it in their website. My cable provider knows what it is and they don't even have any open Wi-Fi spots, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

The only thing the techs wouldn't know how to do is configure the 800w for Wi-Fi, unless you are fortunate to contact a person who has an 800w. Which I would doubt, since the call center probably goes to either the Philippines or India.
    There's really no indication that the wifi ssid needs to be entered manually. Their site does not say that at all. It says in some cases, although the treo software should be capable of picking up the ssid being broadcast on it's own.

If the OP sees the AP's SSID in his list and tries to connect, and it's not, then it's likely the problem lies somewhere else.

Are you sure you're trying to connect to the correct SSID? In an open space like that, you're treo may just be picking up multiple SSID's and not trying to connect to the proper one, but rather one that has some sort of encryption.

I doubt any of this has anything to do with your problem though. How was the signal strength is the areas you're trying to connect?
    I am having the same problem connecting to optonline's wifi. Some days it works fine while other days I only get an IP but it won't let me bring up the authentication page.
    I get redirected from apc.aptilo.com to hotspots.optimumonlinewifi.com but that's it. After a few seconds the page comes back with "Connection has timed out".
    Ironically, while in this state, I am able to cruise optimum's site, check my webmail.optonline....and everything in it so I know it's not my connection. Heck I even paid my bill online with this quasi connection! But it still won't bring up the authentication page to do anything else.
    I have tried everything known (well, that I know).

My coworker's connection is the same way. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Totally baffled.

Anyone have any ideas or heard about this problem?
    I am from Long Island but am not there to test it. However, there are no security settings to connect, it is an open access point.

Once you connect, the first thing u need to do is open PIE and try a website. It should redirect you to the logon page and use your optonline username and pw to login. On the optimumwifi.com site, it mentions windows mobile is specifically supported. Once you are logged in you can use other programs.

The reason yours may not be working is that the Access Points may not be enabled yet. On Long Island some were broadcasting for a couple weeks before they were actually working. They were testing them and you couldn't use them yet. Officially only the Long Island access points are working. Other areas are working and it will likely start working for you soon.

Here is their pg on WM5(Im sure its essentially the same for WM6) Link
  10.    #10  
    An update - this week in Westport CT I was able to log on twice - two different days. After finding the hotspot you open the browser, enter id and passworrd and you are in. Since the Optonlline WiFi website's map of coverage still shows nothing for CT, maybe they are still working things out and it works some days and not others. Anyway, when it worked, it was quite good - i.e. fast!.