1.    #1  
    Question for 800W owners. Does using the GPS suck a lot of power?
    Yes, it does.

I just used GPS the other day for a 40 minute drive. Started with a full charge and when I got to my destination, it was at 65%.

Without a car charger, using the GPS on the 800w for long drives will not be an option - dead battery!
    The good news is that you can buy a car charger at Wal-Mart pretty cheap, and it's able to keep up with the battery drain. So while GPS isn't something I'd use for long walks, it's very usable as long as you're plugged in while driving.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for all the feedback. I was just thinking if I should wait for the Treo Pro/850 or pull the trigger on the Treo 750 and just update to WM 6.1 when available.

Most of the time I'm not walking anyway as I drive and I won't get lost in my own neighbourhood, but at the same time its nice to have a GPS when in an emergency.
    Part of the "usage" with GPS tends to be having your screen on (big drain) and a GPS application running (lots of CPU and data or loading = big drain).

Just having GPS on is a fair drain, but it won't drop your battery by 40% in 40 minutes. If you've used GPS, but killed (via task manager) all the GPS apps that you used, the GPS radio will still be on (instead of in standby) but the drain will drop significantly.

That being said I usually soft reset after using GPS, just so that the radio isn't active.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

That being said I usually soft reset after using GPS, just so that the radio isn't active.
    Why wouldn't you just tap the bullseye on your today screen and switch to 911 only? That portion of the GPS radio is going to stay on, soft reset or not. It will kill having programs access the radio, so it's basically the same thing, without the hassle of battery removal and time wasted on a reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post
    Why wouldn't you just tap the bullseye on your today screen and switch to 911 only? That portion of the GPS radio is going to stay on, soft reset or not. It will kill having programs access the radio, so it's basically the same thing, without the hassle of battery removal and time wasted on a reboot.
    We don't pull our batteries to soft reset and switching to 911 mode doesn't always do the trick. There's a nifty little Hannip app I use do ensure that GPS is fully off.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    With GPS on, and minimal to average use, I'm at roughly 45% by 5pm every day. For the hell of it, I turned it off. By the end of the day I was at roughly 80%....so for me, turning it off saved a lot of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    We don't pull our batteries to soft reset and switching to 911 mode doesn't always do the trick. There's a nifty little Hannip app I use do ensure that GPS is fully off.
    A soft reset is still a soft reset. You're taking your phone out of service for the process. To me, thats unnecessary. I use the GPS a lot, and to reboot the phone every time would be rediculous.

I've had a marked difference between "Location On" and 911 only. Google maps/Live Search don't work on 911 only. My conclusions from this are that the programs that drain the power are snuffed out. It may not completely disable it, but it's enough for me to see an improvement in battery performance.

Thanks for the Hannip tip. I'll check it out.
  10.    #10  
    What's the function of 911 only? Will it help in triangulating your location?

Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post
    A soft reset is still a soft reset. You're taking your phone out of service for the process. To me, thats unnecessary. I use the GPS a lot, and to reboot the phone every time would be rediculous.

I've had a marked difference between "Location On" and 911 only. Google maps/Live Search don't work on 911 only. My conclusions from this are that: The programs that drain the power are snuffed out. It may not completely disable it, but it's enough for me

Thanks for the Hannip tip. I'll check it out.
    I've found that changing gps to 911 only does not have a noticeable effect on battery life.

Some days with the gps on and heavy use, my battery does pretty well. Other days, I hardly use the phone and the battery is drained in hours.

My guess is that a lot of the battery drain is a result of searching for a good signal. Low signal areas drain the battery much faster.
    It will only triangulate for the purposes of 911. Previous mentioned programs, as well as Sprint's locator service ( I believe) will not work with 911 only selected. I guess it is partially due to privacy. As it states on the screen, with "Location On", your location will be broadcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    With GPS on, and minimal to average use, I'm at roughly 45% by 5pm every day. For the hell of it, I turned it off. By the end of the day I was at roughly 80%....so for me, turning it off saved a lot of power.
    Well GPS seems to draw about 2% over an entire night for me. I tested with GPS disabled wand with it enabled over several nights. i(e 0.25%/hour)

Using an application, which as others have noted involves screen time and processor use seems to me to be very different than having it enabled (and perhaps grabbing ephemeris once or twice.)

As I have mentioned elsewhere after testing several 800w radios simply passively on in controlled overnight tests, irda uses way more than gps
    I guess I have a hungry GPS receiver...
    To me, checking off the correct box for email polling (Thread is here) made the biggest battery difference. Today, for example, I've had my phone running for 8 hours and am still above 75%, with GPS and BT both turned on all day.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G