Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 335
  1. hlazar's Avatar
    Posts
    284 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #161  
    Imagine having an i phone and not being able to change batteries on the fly.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  2. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #162  
    When I read that the 850 is a Smartphone, I say forget about it. You cant do stylus on the screen, hence alot of software you cant use.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    When I read that the 850 is a Smartphone, I say forget about it. You cant do stylus on the screen, hence alot of software you cant use.
    Uh, what are you talking about? Its a touchscreen, and there's a stylus.

    Thinking about it, I think you might be getting confused by the former names Microsoft used. Back with their 2002 software, they named it Pocket PC for touchscreen devices, and Smartphone for non-touchscreen devices. However, the name "smartphone" caught on for much more than just Microsoft's devices, and ended up encompassing any PDA/phone combination. With WM6, Microsoft changed the naming scheme, a touchscreen device is Windows Mobile Pro, and a non-touchscreen is Windows Mobile Standard.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Uh, what are you talking about? Its a touchscreen, and there's a stylus.

    Thinking about it, I think you might be getting confused by the former names Microsoft used. Back with WM 2003, they named it Windows Mobile Premium for PDAs, Windows Mobile for Pocket PC Phone edition for touchscreen phone devices, and Windows Mobile Smartphone for non-touchscreen devices. However, the name "smartphone" caught on for much more than just Microsoft's devices, and ended up encompassing any PDA/phone combination. With WM6, Microsoft changed the naming scheme, a touchscreen device is Windows Mobile Pro, and a non-touchscreen is Windows Mobile Standard.
    At one time the "pro" was known as the 850... it was said the 850 did not have a touch screen. No one could have known palm would introduce two touchscreen devices at the same time or have one device for gsm and another for cdma... lol... whatever... I'm happy either way.

    The "general" idea was correct... it was a device for europe.... and whatever....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  5. #165  
    When's the last time Palm made anything without a touchscreen? I think Palm is leaving that to Samsung and Motorola. They're targeting the power users and geeks, who like the touch screen.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    At one time the "pro" was known as the 850... it was said the 850 did not have a touch screen. No one could have known palm would introduce two touchscreen devices at the same time or have one device for gsm and another for cdma... lol... whatever... I'm happy either way.
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this, actually. The earliest specs I could find from May all mention the touchscreen. And of course there's the leaked 'Drucker' slide that also mentioned a flush touchscreen.

    Anyway, I agree with the above poster, Palm has had a single non-touchscreen device ever, with the 500v. Not to mention they've had two separate devices for GSM and for CDMA for a while, always with both with a touchscreen.

    The 680 for GSM vs the 700p/755p. The 700w/x vs the 750. Hell, even as far back as the Treo 270 vs the 300 on Sprint.

    The only reason I could see for someone to get confused is the whole WM Smartphone vs the generic term smartphone thing that I mentioned above.
  7. #167  
    I really don't understand why M$ made two different OS. It causes customers confusion and the major problem is the software of these two OS are incompatiable with each other. ** Sigh **
  8. #168  
    Um...because touchscreen programs have certain functions that aren't accessible by hardware keys. Thus, different software is needed for touchscreen phones vs. non-touchscreen phones.

    I suppose there wasn't really a reason that there absolutely had to be two different operating systems, but even if there was only one, you'd still have a bunch of software that was incompatible on your device anyway (at least, if you have a non-touchscreen device...almost everything works with WM Pro).

    Plus, it's Microsoft's trademark to make different versions of everything, and then market them to different demographics.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Um...because touchscreen programs have certain functions that aren't accessible by hardware keys. Thus, different software is needed for touchscreen phones vs. non-touchscreen phones.

    I suppose there wasn't really a reason that there absolutely had to be two different operating systems, but even if there was only one, you'd still have a bunch of software that was incompatible on your device anyway (at least, if you have a non-touchscreen device...almost everything works with WM Pro).

    Plus, it's Microsoft's trademark to make different versions of everything, and then market them to different demographics.
    Garnet handled this well, with the selection ring to access buttons that were only on the touchscreen, you could theoretically never use the touchscreen.

    They've been saying for years that the next version will integrate the touchscreen and non-touchscreen codebases, but it never happens. First it was supposed to be WM 6, and then 7, and I remember reading they might even push it back further. What's most ridiculous is that in many ways, WM Standard works more intuitively than WM Pro. They should just scrap WM Pro, and add touchscreen drivers to WM Standard, and then there you go, it'd be fixed. Fancy touchscreen only devices could have their own custom interface on top of it if necessary, but it would really bring the best of both worlds to one device. (It'll never happen in a million years, and I know there are other little things that make WM Pro better than WM Standard, but just saying.)
  10. #170  
    Looks like the Treo Pro does not have the 2 soft buttons under the screen like the other WM devices. I don't like that. I really like my 2 soft buttons.
  11. #171  
    Yeah, they left out the soft buttons because it's a flush screen, so they figure you can just touch the screen instead of the buttons.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Yeah, they left out the soft buttons because it's a flush screen, so they figure you can just touch the screen instead of the buttons.
    If that was the logic they should have done like the iPhone and not had any actual keys at all. Or just removed all the keys except the keyboard.

    Perhaps I need to "adjust" to the flushed screen way of thinking, but for me the buttons have always been easier than hitting just the right spot on the screen. When I hit a button, I know I got it right, but with touching the screen it always seems there are more cases where the correct part of the screen is not touched correctly. I know when driving and using GPS, I especially prefer using the buttons with one hand, instead of trying to hit the right spot on a screen.
  13. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #173  
    Oh, I didnt know MSFT had change the name.

    When I had the Motorola Q, its a smartphone and hence nothing to touch on the screen. I think Blackjack is like that also.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If that was the logic they should have done like the iPhone and not had any actual keys at all. Or just removed all the keys except the keyboard.

    Perhaps I need to "adjust" to the flushed screen way of thinking, but for me the buttons have always been easier than hitting just the right spot on the screen. When I hit a button, I know I got it right, but with touching the screen it always seems there are more cases where the correct part of the screen is not touched correctly. I know when driving and using GPS, I especially prefer using the buttons with one hand, instead of trying to hit the right spot on a screen.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't think they can just remove all the keys except the keyboard, because then they'd either have to change the OS to have those extra keys there, or they'd have to have the keys still, but not hard keys...just touch responsive ones that are integrated into the device itself.

    They have said that the touch responsive area of the screen extends a bit below the actual viewable area, so you don't have to hit it exactly right...just somewhere in the vicinity.

    Honestly, I don't like the flush screen. I know a lot of people were begging for Palm to change and come into modern times, but their design was classic. It's the easiest form factor to handle, especially for a business user. If they start diving into the world of touchscreen only phones (and it looks like they're trying to ease into that), they're going to ruin their reputation among the business user community. I love the soft buttons, too, and it would be really weird to have to touch the screen for that function (I'm not even sure why, since I use the screen to close windows and open the my text inbox, and various other random things).
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this, actually. The earliest specs I could find from May all mention the touchscreen. And of course there's the leaked 'Drucker' slide that also mentioned a flush touchscreen..
    Wrong? No one knew about the device... everyone was saying all kinds of stuff. I read it someplace... so you are saying I did not read it? That is hilarious.

    I never did say I agreed with what people were saying... I did not care at the time since it was said this would be a European device.

    At any rate, it does not matter... I was simply suggesting why dude might say this device might not have a touchscreen. No biggie... but I guess everyone has to be right!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Looks like the Treo Pro does not have the 2 soft buttons under the screen like the other WM devices. I don't like that. I really like my 2 soft buttons.
    Those two buttons like on the 700wx seems redundant.

    Not that I'm disagreeing with you... personally I don't care either way... they could have left them off the 700 and I doubt if I would have suggested they needed two buttons there.

    Or we could look at it as two less things to go wrong. lol

    Would be nice if they killed some of those buttons to make the screen bigger, if possible (or if that would even make any sense).
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Those two buttons like on the 700wx seems redundant.

    Not that I'm disagreeing with you... personally I don't care either way... they could have left them off the 700 and I doubt if I would have suggested they needed two buttons there.

    Or we could look at it as two less things to go wrong. lol

    Would be nice if they killed some of those buttons to make the screen bigger, if possible (or if that would even make any sense).
    How are soft keys, which are a part of WM, redundant?

    Going further, say you are running video, a web browser, an image viewer, etc. in "full screen mode"...now how are you access the soft keys if you cannot see them?

    In that mode, touching the screen where the keys would be does not emulate their function. So now what?

    It's a very poor decision to not have hardware soft keys.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #178  
    Definetly in agreement here. Soft keys are a must in my opinion. Not that it takes any thing away from a great phone.
  19. klmsu19's Avatar
    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #179  
    idk i guess its personal preference and what you came from. the Touch didnt have soft keys and it worked out just fine i never found myself wanting the real button to push. Most programs (like Opera 9.5) you can easily get out of full screen by tapping the screen once and the menu bars reappear. same with tcpmp in full screen, as soon as you tap the screen (or the real key on the 800) it goes out of fullscreen and pauses anyways. Most of the image viewers (like PCM imageviewer and even the HTc album) are built around a touch interface anyways so it was kept in mind when programming to have onscreen taps. I cant think of a program, at least that i use, that would get stuck in full screen needing a hard key press. Sometime you do have to tap and hold (like in IE) but its just an extra step, not really a must have real key thing.
  20. #180  
    .........1, wtf are yall in here talkin' about?!?!


    .........2, answer the original question.. you keepin' ya ish' or not?


    .........3, this board is a dayum trip...
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions