Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    The Pro is $550 but the 800 is $600 but Sprint is selling it for $250 with discounts. that's the difference . the Pro is actually about $300 more as long as you were able to get the 800W discounts. sprint subsisizes the price and they make money on the wireless plans.
    Yes I paid $200 after the subsidy.
    The 2 phones were developed essentially at the same time.
    The Pro is better for less money.
    They should have both been similar features and price regardless of subsidy.
    What Im saying is that Palm is slightly price gouging on the 800 .
    No big deal though.
    Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
    I'd like to know this as well.... It'd be nice to be able to replace my creative mp3 player with my 800w.

But, when we have 32gb cards at an affordable price, maybe I'll have a Treo 1500w or something by THEN. :P
    Exactly what I was thinking. Although I'd love a 32GB card, the most I'd probably pay for one is $100. By that time (most likely atleast 1.5 years), I'll probably be shopping for a new phone anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    Yes I paid $200 after the subsidy.
    The 2 phones were developed essentially at the same time.
    The Pro is better for less money.
    They should have both been similar features and price regardless of subsidy.
    What Im saying is that Palm is slightly price gouging on the 800 .
    No big deal though.
    Considering US Treo Pro customers will all be paying full price, the $50 cut is rather good for Palm to have done. The Treo Pro is better for way more money, because the bottom line is what comes out of my pocket, not the price tag they put on the window display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Why has is Palm bringing out a new and better(?) phone so soon after releasing the 800? I just got the 800 a couple of weeks ago and I like to enjoy having the latest greatest for longer than a couple of weeks. Now Palm has ruined my enjoyment by announcing a new phone is coming soon and I'm already looking, wondering and wanting. It's just TOO SOON!
    I think we should be happy... at least palm is moving forward and has shown they have some fight left.

Just think if they are able to get out two new Palm OS phones out that quickly? How about if they are able to get out their new OS (dare I say) early.

I'd guess they knew the battery in the 800 sucked (for some people) when they built the pro... always something with palm. Remember the treo 700w... they had to release a WX. Or even Motorola with the Q... launched an updated device with a bigger battery.

The two successful launches have me excited for the company....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    But even the Treo Pro battery is weak.

1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby versus 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time.

Even the Treo Pro owners won't be able to use the device an entire day without a mid-day charge. The Treo Pro is an estimated 1 hour of talk time and 50 hours of standby time better. That's not much.
    Darnell, I just read that the Treo Pro will have an optional battery-sized cold fusion generator that will power the device for a thousand years on two drops of water. Only costs an extra $4 trillion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    Darnell, I just read that the Treo Pro will have an optional battery-sized cold fusion generator that will power the device for a thousand years on two drops of water. Only costs an extra $4 trillion.
    EXCELLENT!

I'm going off to buy some shares of Palm on that news !
    But Jeff Kirvin, what happens if I get a Treo Pro with the cold fusion generator and I mistakenly drop the device ?
    In my list comparing the Treo Pro and Treo 800w, I should have included the CD-less setup feature. Now that is nice. A one time enjoyment, but nice .

They really should make an update for the 800w that can do that!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Treo Pro is $50 less than the 800w, because it will be sold unlocked and not have any US based carrier sponsorship. Which means people who buy it will really end up paying the full $549. Unlike we Treo 800w owners, who were able to get all sorts of price cuts and rebates.

Vann is right. At a fixed $549, the question becomes moot.

Seems Palm made a better device, but without any carrier linkage, sales will be slim. Looks like Palm is about to shoot themselves in the foot on this one.
    Well Palm has shot themselves many times in the foot, don't know why they are still here. They have delayed the Palm OS II yet again, Palm is going to be in big trouble if the Android phones when released will run Palm OS programs. Access should approach Google and work out a deal and hit a home run which would shut down Palm in a heartbeat!
    Why has is Palm bringing out a new and better(?) phone so soon after releasing the 800? I just got the 800 a couple of weeks ago and I like to enjoy having the latest greatest for longer than a couple of weeks. Now Palm has ruined my enjoyment by announcing a new phone is coming soon and I'm already looking, wondering and wanting. It's just TOO SOON!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of technology. In addition to having the "whatever you buy today is obsolete tomorrow" postulate, in the cell phone industry, we also have the "carriers bribe manufacturers so they can have exclusive access to phones" postulate. Hence, the 800w was only released on Sprint, rather than Palm making both a GSM and a CDMA 800w, and releasing it on all 4 major carriers at once. That's how I'd like it to be (maybe they would have waited a bit and released the 850 on all the carriers), but that's never going to happen. Companies exist to make money. They don't do that without competition.

In my list comparing the Treo Pro and Treo 800w, I should have included the CD-less setup feature. Now that is nice. A one time enjoyment, but nice .

They really should make an update for the 800w that can do that!
    Huh? Why do you need a CD to set up the phone? Unless you want the optional stuff that they include on the CD, I guess...but if they put that on the phone, that would kind of take away the idea of "optional" and it would be like computer manufacturers putting all the bloatware on their products.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Why is Palm bringing out a new and better(?) phone so soon after releasing the 800? I just got the 800 a couple of weeks ago and I like to enjoy having the latest greatest for longer than a couple of weeks. Now Palm has ruined my enjoyment by announcing a new phone is coming soon and I'm already looking, wondering and wanting. It's just TOO SOON!
    I was being facetious.
    Last edited by Rogus; 08/21/2008 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Huh? Why do you need a CD to set up the phone? Unless you want the optional stuff that they include on the CD, I guess...but if they put that on the phone, that would kind of take away the idea of "optional" and it would be like computer manufacturers putting all the bloatware on their products.
    Convenience. Without a CD, how is ActiveSync getting on the PC?

The install could still be optional when plugging the device into a PC. I'm not sure how it uses space on the Treo Pro, but I think it's a nice feature.

I know when I sell an old Treo, I've always got to hunt for the old CD, so I don't have to bother telling someone to get the software from Palm.com when I sell an old Treo on Ebay. Having the software on the device already is a nice move in my opinion. Perhaps the Treo Pro has a built in MicroSD chip with the software on it?...
    I was being facetious.
    Well you had us going!
    Oh, yeah, I guess. I don't sync my phone much...just bluetooth the contacts over every once in a while.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm still not sure how Aero/BTSmith postulates that there is no difference in battery consumption between a 333mhz and a 400mhz processor though...
    If you will notice there is more than a year difference in sign up dates for those forums. No one is trying to put one over on you my friend. or Is that your real name? Am on coming on this forum with two identities? NO.

To answer my guess is the 400 mhz processor may well use less power. processors have been scaling power for a decade. Are you saying this one doesn't? Also as you rightly and correctly observed these devices are in completely different design/ product cycles. Are you saying Palm applied NO power saving lessons learned or advances in the meantime? Are you saying they didn't tweak any of the five or six radios or other components to make them more effecient as makers do all the time?

Yet you have a very sarcastic tone. Serious (not fanboy) Major reviews highlight the battery problem. Users highlight it. You are attacking everyone who highlights it despite it being cited nearly everywhere as the major downside on the 800w.
    But even the Treo Pro battery is weak.

1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby versus 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time.

Even the Treo Pro owners won't be able to use the device an entire day without a mid-day charge. The Treo Pro is an estimated 1 hour of talk time and 50 hours of standby time better. That's not much.
    Every user is different, but the net increase will put more users over the line of a business day.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Every user is different, but the net increase will put more users over the line of a business day.
    Nice try Aero, but I had a Treo 650, which also promised 5 hours of talk time. And there were plenty of complaints about the battery. In fact, I even told you about the Treo 650 in another comment. (Just before upgrading to an 800w I had a Treo 650 with a new battery, because it [battery] had to be replaced a couple months before I got the 800w.)

The Treo Pro is just like everything on the Treo line. Short on battery life. And just like with everything else on the Treo line, anyone wanting to use the device heavily an entire day will have to come up with options to charge or have a 2nd battery handy.
    Both phones SUCK with battery life and niether can get a power user througha day. . No use fighting over it. The Pro battery sucks and the 800W sucks even more. Period. Getting one of these devices over the other based on battery is like trying to go from NY to Florida on a full tank of gas or 3/4 a tank of gas. You will go farther with the full tank but its still not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Both phones SUCK with battery life and niether can get a power user througha day. . No use fighting over it. The Pro battery sucks and the 800W sucks even more. Period. Getting one of these devices over the other based on battery is like trying to go from NY to Florida on a full tank of gas or 3/4 a tank of gas. You will go farther with the full tank but its still not enough.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast