Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No effect.
    And 350 mA although a 30% gross increase, is going to be more like a 50% increase in usable battery time
    I know GSM takes less power, but I doubt it's so much less than CDMA that a battery with 350mA extra will provide a 50% increase in battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    So from what I am reading (Correct me if I am wrong) its not going to be avaliable from AT&T or any phone company in the US. Its only avaliable from Palm at the $550 price ($600 with tax and shipping) so no discount that phone companys give like Sprint where they subsizize the price. Well that sucks. Makes the answer to this question easier. for new user thats alot to ask to pay $600 for a phone when most phones like the iphone and centro , 800W etc are so cheap with the discounts and current users whoi use the 800W would be getting a similar phone with a larger battery and different form factor. Its a cool looking phone and in Europe since they are getting discounts it will fly off the shelves but for the US to have to pay so much , that sucks.
    Where did you read that? I hadn't caught that yet.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I was considering the 800w, and waited around a bit when the TreoPro was leaked. Now seeing the price, I think it'll be the 800w. There's no way the wife is gonna agree to me speeding 600 green on a freakin' phone!
    Never mind...didn't check the front page today.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    I know GSM takes less power, but I doubt it's so much less than CDMA that a battery with 350mA extra will provide a 50% increase in battery life.
    I know what his response will be, call it a hunch:

Quote Originally Posted by BTSmith
    1500 mA will be an effective 50% more over 1150 mA. The 1150 will go through a lot more cycles in a couple of months will be at about 1000 mA full charge.
    Which is obviously a magical theoretical world where 1150mah batteries go through cycles and lose capacity but 1500mah batteries stay constant the entire time (they also wondrously change your charging habits, regardless of usage)

I'm still not sure how Aero/BTSmith postulates that there is no difference in battery consumption between a 333mhz and a 400mhz processor though...
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/20/2008 at 12:53 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Okay, I noticed that the 850 has the same stats except the processor, the 850 has a 400mhz processor and the 800w has a 333mhz processor. I have also heard that the 800w processor is much faster than processors twice the mhz. Any ideas on this?
    The 850 has nearly the same specs as the 800w. Personally, I like the design of the 800w better. Is it just me, or does it seem like something is missing from the 850's design? It seems like there is a lot of 'dead space' betwee the keyboard and the screen. Why not make a bigger keyboard? or a bigger screen? Do we really need shortcut buttons THAT big? Besides that, it just looks like there's something missing in the design. Maybe it would look better if they had some sore of color accents or something? It looks sleak, but very plain.

To me, GSM means either ATT or TMobile. Tmobile = no 3g, poor coverage and ATT = fleecing. I'll stay with my 800w on Sprint, thank you very much.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I just received an email from Palm regarding the Pro "Coming Soon."

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...pro/index.html

Oh, it sure sounds good. If it weren't for it being the wrong carrier choices, I'd be tempted. OK, I'm tempted anyway.

I like how it flashes a reminder that you have a voice mail message!

I guess with the flush screen it doesn't need the soft key buttons?
    Last edited by Rogus; 08/20/2008 at 03:47 PM.
    OK, here's about the best side by side comparison that can be made:
    Treo Pro

Platform Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional Edition
    Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201 400MHz
    Display 320x320 transflective color TFT flush touchscreen
    Radio HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM radio
    Tri-band UMTS – 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz
    Quad-band GSM – 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, and 801.1x authentication
    GPS Built-in GPS
    Bluetooth®
    Wireless Technology Version: 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate
    Memory 256MB (100MB user available), 128MB RAM
    Camera 2.0 megapixels with up to 8x digital zoom and video capture
    Battery Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby
    Expansion microSDHC cards (up to 32GB supported)1
    Connector MicroUSB™ 2.0 for synchronization and charging
    Audio 3.5mm stereo headset jack
    Dimensions Length: 4.49", Width: 2.36", Depth: 0.53", Weight: 4.69 oz
    Color Obsidian
    System Requirements Windows® XP, Windows Vista™
    Software on device
    ActiveSync®; Adobe Reader LE; Bluetooth®; Bubble Breaker; Calculator; Calendar; Communications Manager; Contacts; File Explorer; Get WorldMate; GoogleMaps; Internet Explorer® Mobile; Messaging; Microsoft® Office Mobile including Excel® Mobile, OneNote Mobile, PowerPoint® Mobile, and Word Mobile; My Treo; Notes; Pics & Videos; QuickGPS; Quick Tour; SIM Manager; Solitaire; Sprite Backup; Streaming Media; Tasks; Telenav; Voice Command; Windows Live™; Windows Live™ Messenger; Windows Media® Player Mobile

Treo 800w

Processor MSM6800A TI ARM1136 OMAP2430 running at 333MHz.
    Display 320x320 pixel transflective color TFT touchscreen, supports 16-bit color (65K colors)
    Radio Qualcomm MSM6800A chipset supporting EvDO Rev A and mobile receive diversity
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, 802.1x (EAP-PEAP, EAP-TLS and EAP-TTLS)
    GPS Built-in GPS (standalone and assisted); Sprint NavigationSM; GPS-powered local search, maps, and navigation from the Today screen
    Bluetooth®
    Wireless Technology Version: 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate Profiles: GAP (General Access Profile), GOEP (General Object Exchange Profile), SPP (Serial Port Profile), HSP (Headset Profile), HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), ActiveSync® Profile, PBAP (Phonebook Access Profile), PAN (Personal Area Networking), BPP (Basic Printing Profile), stereo audio streaming (A2DP, GAVDP, AVRCP)
    Memory 256MB user memory (approximately 170MB available user memory), 128MB program memory
    Camera 2.0 megapixels (1600x1200) with 2x digital zoom and video capture
    Battery Removable 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time
    Expansion microSD/microSDHC cards (up to 8GB supported)
    Connector MicroUSB™ 2.0
    Dimensions Length: 4.41", Width: 2.28", Depth: 0.73", Weight: 5.0 oz
    Software on device
    Alarm Clock; Calculator; Camera; File Explorer; Internet Sharing; Games – Bubble Breaker,™ Solitaire, Astraware Sudoku, and Aces Texas Hold’em; Maps; Messaging; Microsoft® ActiveSync®; Microsoft® Internet Explorer® Mobile; Microsoft® Live Search; Microsoft® Notes; Microsoft® Office Mobile – Outlook® Mobile, Excel® Mobile, PowerPoint® Mobile, Word Mobile, and OneNote Mobile; Microsoft® Tasks; Microsoft® Windows Live;™ Pics and Video; Picsel PDF Viewer;™ Quick Tour; Sprint Navigation; Sprint TVSM; Sprite Backup; Windows Media® Player Mobile

---------------------------------------------

Where the Treo Pro trumps the Treo 800w (please correct me if I'm wrong on anything):

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201 400MHz is better than MSM6800A TI ARM1136 OMAP2430 running at 333MHz

A flush touch screen

Global ready (not that we long time Sprint customers who don't travel outside the USA much care)

Camera 2.0 megapixels with up to 8x digital zoom and video capture is better than 2.0 megapixels (1600x1200) with 2x digital zoom and video capture (although digital zoom is usually horrible, so this does not mean much)

Battery Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby is better than emovable 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time
    (Not much, but better. It looks like not even the Treo Pro will last a full day of heavy usage without needing mid-day charge time.)

Expansion microSDHC cards (up to 32GB supported) is better than microSD/microSDHC cards (up to 8GB supported)

Audio 3.5mm stereo headset jack is better than none

(I'm not sure if the details on the Treo Pro's dimensions are better than the 800w. The 800w has a shorter length and width.)

Software on device Windows Live™ Messenger is better than not having it (I guess).

So there's the full run down. I stand by my $50 plus trade for an upgrade (if it worked with Sprint's network) assessment .
    Last edited by darnell; 08/20/2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: cosmetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post

I guess with the flush screen it doesn't need the soft key buttons?

Yea I was wondering about the Treo Pro possibly having 2 keys less, but I'm not sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    OK, here's about the best side by side comparison that can be made:
    Treo Pro

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201 400MHz
    Display 320x320 transflective color TFT flush touchscreen
    Radio HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM radio
    Tri-band UMTS – 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz
    Quad-band GSM – 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, and 801.1x authentication
    GPS Built-in GPS
    Bluetooth®
    Wireless Technology Version: 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate
    Memory 256MB (100MB user available), 128MB RAM
    Camera 2.0 megapixels with up to 8x digital zoom and video capture
    Battery Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby
    Expansion microSDHC cards (up to 32GB supported)1
    Connector MicroUSB™ 2.0 for synchronization and charging
    Audio 3.5mm stereo headset jack
    Dimensions Length: 4.49", Width: 2.36", Depth: 0.53", Weight: 4.69 oz
    Color Obsidian
    Software on device
    ActiveSync®; Adobe Reader LE; Bluetooth®; Bubble Breaker; Calculator; Calendar; Communications Manager; Contacts; File Explorer; Get WorldMate; GoogleMaps; Internet Explorer® Mobile; Messaging; Microsoft® Office Mobile including Excel® Mobile, OneNote Mobile, PowerPoint® Mobile, and Word Mobile; My Treo; Notes; Pics & Videos; QuickGPS; Quick Tour; SIM Manager; Solitaire; Sprite Backup; Streaming Media; Tasks; Telenav; Voice Command; Windows Live™; Windows Live™ Messenger; Windows Media® Player Mobile

Treo 800w

Processor MSM6800A TI ARM1136 OMAP2430 running at 333MHz.
    Display 320x320 pixel transflective color TFT touchscreen, supports 16-bit color (65K colors)
    Radio Qualcomm MSM6800A chipset supporting EvDO Rev A and mobile receive diversity
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, 802.1x (EAP-PEAP, EAP-TLS and EAP-TTLS)
    GPS Built-in GPS (standalone and assisted); Sprint NavigationSM; GPS-powered local search, maps, and navigation from the Today screen
    Bluetooth®
    Wireless Technology Version: 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate Profiles: GAP (General Access Profile), GOEP (General Object Exchange Profile), SPP (Serial Port Profile), HSP (Headset Profile), HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), ActiveSync® Profile, PBAP (Phonebook Access Profile), PAN (Personal Area Networking), BPP (Basic Printing Profile), stereo audio streaming (A2DP, GAVDP, AVRCP)
    Memory 256MB user memory (approximately 170MB available user memory), 128MB program memory
    Camera 2.0 megapixels (1600x1200) with 2x digital zoom and video capture
    Battery Removable 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time
    Expansion microSD/microSDHC cards (up to 8GB supported)
    Connector MicroUSB™ 2.0
    Dimensions Length: 4.41", Width: 2.28", Depth: 0.73", Weight: 5.0 oz
    Software on device
    Alarm Clock; Calculator; Camera; File Explorer; Internet Sharing; Games – Bubble Breaker,™ Solitaire, Astraware Sudoku, and Aces Texas Hold’em; Maps; Messaging; Microsoft® ActiveSync®; Microsoft® Internet Explorer® Mobile; Microsoft® Live Search; Microsoft® Notes; Microsoft® Office Mobile – Outlook® Mobile, Excel® Mobile, PowerPoint® Mobile, Word Mobile, and OneNote Mobile; Microsoft® Tasks; Microsoft® Windows Live;™ Pics and Video; Picsel PDF Viewer;™ Quick Tour; Sprint Navigation; Sprint TVSM; Sprite Backup; Windows Media® Player Mobile

---------------------------------------------

Where the Treo Pro trumps the Treo 800w (please correct me if I'm wrong on anything):

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201 400MHz is better than MSM6800A TI ARM1136 OMAP2430 running at 333MHz

A flush touch screen

Global ready (not that we long time Sprint customers who don't travel outside the USA much care)

Camera 2.0 megapixels with up to 8x digital zoom and video capture is better than 2.0 megapixels (1600x1200) with 2x digital zoom and video capture (although digital zoom is usually horrible, so this does not mean much)

Battery Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion; Up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby is better than emovable 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time
    (Not much, but better. It looks like not even the Treo Pro will last a full day of heavy usage without needing mid-day charge time.)

Expansion microSDHC cards (up to 32GB supported) is better than microSD/microSDHC cards (up to 8GB supported)

Audio 3.5mm stereo headset jack is better than none

(I'm not sure if the details on the Treo Pro's dimensions are better than the 800w. The 800w has a shorter length and width.)

Software on device Windows Live™ Messenger is better than not having it (I guess).

So there's the full run down. I stand by my $50 plus trade for an upgrade (if it worked with Sprint's network) assessment .
    I'd pretty much guarantee the 800w supports up to 32GB microSDHC as well. If it supports SDHC and FAT32 (which it does) there's absolutely no technical reason it can't support 32GB when that's released eventually.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Thanks much.

The two things that really jump out at me are that the 800 is almost 50% thicker with 75% the battery capacity of the 850.

Certainly looks like Palm used 2 different ODM's who started with different generations of technology!
    I don't know if I'd consider the flush touchscreen a feature that trumps.

I don't like wide phones, so the narower 800w is looking better at the moment. Of course, I think the 700wx is a little wider than the 800w, so it could be a negligible difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'd pretty much guarantee the 800w supports up to 32GB microSDHC as well. If it supports SDHC and FAT32 (which it does) there's absolutely no technical reason it can't support 32GB when that's released eventually.
    I'd like to know this as well.... It'd be nice to be able to replace my creative mp3 player with my 800w.

But, when we have 32gb cards at an affordable price, maybe I'll have a Treo 1500w or something by THEN. :P
    Interesting read: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080820/tc_nm/palm_treo_dc

Er yeah, "buy the looks" of it the only way to have one working in the U.S. is via an unlocked purchase which runs up at about $550.

That about makes this whole "which would you rather have" discussion rather moot, at least for people in the states.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
    -Sri Chinmoy Ghose
    I cant believe they put a 400mz processor and bigger battery in the Pro and it costs $50 less than the $599 800w.
    I dont care to switch,but I do want the extra stuff on my 800w for $50 less.
    Palm needs to get its act together.I do feel kind of cheated.
    But love the 800 anyway.
    Yeah for $600 I can buy a good laptop. I wouldn't have purchased a 800W for $600. most of us got it for under $300 and I would never pay $600 (phone plus tax and shippping) for a phone. I am waiting for the Nova and if that cost me more than $300 I will not get that eithee. $600 for a phone is insane. I know some folks got disposable income and that's cool but a 800W you can get for $250 and an Iphone for $199. And I am not talking about the phone. The pro is terriffic but $600 is crazy money. Personally I would rather wait for the HTC phones (pro ,diamond etc)which will be as nice or nicer and will be subsisised by Sprint. but again the pro is a beautiful phone.
    The Treo Pro is $50 less than the 800w, because it will be sold unlocked and not have any US based carrier sponsorship. Which means people who buy it will really end up paying the full $549. Unlike we Treo 800w owners, who were able to get all sorts of price cuts and rebates.

Vann is right. At a fixed $549, the question becomes moot.

Seems Palm made a better device, but without any carrier linkage, sales will be slim. Looks like Palm is about to shoot themselves in the foot on this one.
    The Pro is $550 but the 800 is $600 but Sprint is selling it for $250 with discounts. that's the difference . the Pro is actually about $300 more as long as you were able to get the 800W discounts. sprint subsisizes the price and they make money on the wireless plans.

Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    I cant believe they put a 400mz processor and bigger battery in the Pro and it costs $50 less than the $599 800w.
    I dont care to switch,but I do want the extra stuff on my 800w for $50 less.
    Palm needs to get its act together.I do feel kind of cheated.
    But love the 800 anyway.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Why is Palm bringing out a new and better(?) phone so soon after releasing the 800? I just got the 800 a couple of weeks ago and I like to enjoy having the latest greatest for longer than a couple of weeks. Now Palm has ruined my enjoyment by announcing a new phone is coming soon and I'm already looking, wondering and wanting. It's just TOO SOON!
    Last edited by Rogus; 08/21/2008 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Why has is Palm bringing out a new and better(?) phone so soon after releasing the 800? I just got the 800 a couple of weeks ago and I like to enjoy having the latest greatest for longer than a couple of weeks. Now Palm has ruined my enjoyment by announcing a new phone is coming soon and I'm already looking, wondering and wanting. It's just TOO SOON!
    Why would a company NOT release a new better device in the near future?

When Palm made devices that went to other carries first, Sprint customers were all in a tizzy they didn't get something new first. Then the Sprint models came a little later and with a little additional in terms of features. Now Sprint customers got the first of the Windows 6.1 devices and the complaint is that others got theirs later with a little more, but they were supposed to be made to wait because we Sprint customers just got ours.

Come on people, let your jealously go, let's be adults here. A corporation is to make money. They have to keep making new and better continually. They should not stop.

I purchased a processor for my PC, it was new and hot, then Intel made something newer and hotter and they keep doing it ongoing. Same with motherboards and other computer equipment.

I say Palm is doing good to keep it up and when you release something later than another device, the later should be in some ways better.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast