Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Which means it will sell more.
    IMO the biggest differences are the headset jack and larger battery, not the looks or the fluff, but I am sure I am in the minority. I'm also not sure slimmer is better since the 800w is already pushing the boundary of typeability. But again, slimmer will sell more to the toy crowd.
    I will never get the 800w because it is too big. And I'm definitely not part of the toy crowd. To me, big pda's are ugly. Ugly doesn't mean "professional", it just means ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceoprez View Post
    Darnell- Seriously, why would you choose the 800w over the 850? I mean if they were both CDMA.

I'm sure the battery is removable and the complaint about the speaker is irrelevant. The grill of a speaker does not determine if the speaker will be loud or not.
    sorta hard to tell from the pictures out so far, but the keyboard appears to be the centro style keyboard. that's one reason I wouldn't take it... i hate that keyboard style.

it is a nice looking phone otherwise though.
    Looks like a sweet phone.

Score: The Battery.

Negotiable: The Centro-style keyboard.

Baffling: Stylus on the bottom of the device?

Funny: They put back the power button on top from the Treo 600 days!

Minor quirk: What, they couldn't put the infared port back on top where it belongs?

Major irk: They moved the mini USB to the side of the Treo Pro. Is Palm going to be forcing us to buy a new cradle/accessories for each new design they make?

Question: Hope they make the Wi-Fi button a Wireless Manager button instead.

Aha Moment: I think they put the (3.5") jack back because I'm sure there will be accessories (like the iPhone) that will allow you to dock it to a separate set of speakers.

Still, I love my Treo 800w. This is my first WM Treo (Sprint) and by the time Sprint gets a new WM handset, all the quirks/bugs? with the Treo Pro will be worked out. Plus, I'm figuring out all the new things with Windows Mobile and will take me awhile to get used to it. A year or more will be fine. And If I time to read the T800 manual!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I wasn't going to complain about the small 'shaft' the 800w got compared to the Pro till I saw that the Pro has a reset hole/button next to the headphone jack.
    More Treo Pro Pictures (UPDATED with new Details!)

It has a 400Mhz CPU, the 800w has a MSM6800A TI ARM1136 OMAP2430 running at 333MHz

Same amount of space on board.

Same screen

GPS, the 800w has GPS.

Full Tri-band 3G, Quad-band GSM. 800w is for Sprint.

Same camera

Same microUSB connector, with an added 3.5mm Earphone connector. 800w has the microUSB connector, but no 3.5mm Earphone connector.

1500mah battery, better than the 800w battery.

So the now known advantages of the 850 over a 800w are:
    Faster CPU
    3.5mm Earphone connector
    1500mah battery
    if you travel a lot, the 850 has the frequencies you need.

So I see the CPU as slightly better, the 3.5mm jack is nice, I don't need more battery, but more battery is nice and I'm good with Sprint, but I guess if I traveled my needs would be totally different.

OK, now I feel the 850/Pro is worth $50 plus the trade in of an 800w if it worked with Sprint. I don't care to switch carriers and the 850 does not have enough for me personally, to make me want to run from Sprint. But if Sprint had a version of the 850 and said they'd let me get it for $50 and a trade in of the 800w I'd bite, but not a penny more. Given the 850 does not work with Sprint, even if the 800w and 850 were released the same day I'd take the 800w. But the fact is, the 800w is being sold right now and the 850 is not.

Palm needs to keep making more better devices, because it would not be good to have a device made by a company that went out of business...
    I'm with the people that say the 800w looks more professional. The whole Centro style is more of a hip gadget look, and combined with the cheap price is probably why I see more and more kids with Centros. The 800w looks professional and well built (as do the previous Treos), rather than the cheap plasticy look of the 850. I don't really have any opinions on the keyboard because I haven't played with a Centro enough to really judge the keyboard, but from looks alone, it looks cheap.

I just am not a fan of what supposedly looks cool nowadays. I mean, yeah, it's fine for teenagers, but I want a businessperson to look like a businessperson. It's kind of like Bill Gates showing up to a presentation wearing ripped Express jeans and a polo shirt. The outfit does the same thing (covers his body), but a suit and tie just looks more professional.

I may just be being picky, but the power button on the top, and the stylus on the bottom are two features I would not want. I like the combined power key on the previous Treos, and I feel like the bottom mounted stylus is more likely to fall out after extended use (especially if you open up the phone and don't screw it all back together tight enough). Also, I know the recessed screen is "uncool", but I like it...it's less likely to crack from a drop. The shiny surface is sure to be a fingerprint magnet (unless they've figured out a way to go with the soft touch surface that the 800w has, but make it glossy instead of matte).

That being said, I don't have an 800w, but simply because the Pro is on GSM, I wouldn't even consider switching an 800w for the Pro. I'm not leaving Sprint, unless AT&T offered me a better deal on a better plan (I wouldn't switch to T-Mobile for anything).

If it was on Sprint, I'd have to see if the functionality was superior enough in order to offset the cheap toyish look and the minor things that I don't like about it. I suppose if Sprint would upgrade me for free, I'd do it, because if I didn't like it, I could just go back to the 800w.

I'm actually still a little annoyed about the looks of the directional pad and surrounding keys on the 800w...I felt that the 700wx was better looking in this area.
    Last edited by Freak4Dell; 08/19/2008 at 06:08 PM.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Question: Does the extra processor speed on the Treo Pro negate the extra 350MAh on the battery?

If so, we're down to styling and the 3.5mm headphone jack. I can already use any 3.5mm headphones with my Jabra BT3030, and as I've said, I think the 800w looks more professional.

Eh, not so much difference. To each his own.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    Question: Does the extra processor speed on the Treo Pro negate the extra 350MAh on the battery?
    Doubt it, since it's a GSM device and will naturally use less power than a CDMA device. I don't know if Palm scales the CPU speed or not, but I don't think it's always going to be running at 400mhz. It'll probably downclock to 333 or lower until an app needs that much power. I'm just assuming though, I really have no idea if that's how they're going to do it.
    Has anyone done a feature-by-feature comparison of the confirmed specs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Doubt it, since it's a GSM device and will naturally use less power than a CDMA device. I don't know if Palm scales the CPU speed or not, but I don't think it's always going to be running at 400mhz. It'll probably downclock to 333 or lower until an app needs that much power. I'm just assuming though, I really have no idea if that's how they're going to do it.
    I'm pretty sure its a WM feature to dynamically underclock when possible. Unless that's something special my (WM Standard) Q9c does, it clocks as low as 66 MHz (from 312MHz) when possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Has anyone done a feature-by-feature comparison of the confirmed specs?
    See if my earlier comment helps you with that.
    Whoa nice, the Treo Pro is lookin' pretty slick. I love the added 3.5mm headphone jack and the battery sounds like a needed improvement (though I suppose we don't know for sure until we get some hands on reviews).

Definitely a new look for Palm. It's on the GSM network so for me it could be "the hottest" phone out there and I wouldn't care seeing as my current Sprint plan is far too good a deal.

However, hypothetically if it were to come out on CDMA and sprint were to offer it, I'm really not sure if I would trade in my 800w for the Treo Pro.

Don't get me wrong, the phone looks nice... The centro keyboard is a POS (at least for me) compared to the beautiful keyboard on the 800w, and if the Treo Pro sports the same centro buttons (which it would appear it does) that's a pretty big downgrade for me.

Personally speaking I genuinely like the look of the 800w. Personally I think it's the best looking treo so far. I've been approached by strangers quite a few times asking me about wanting to know what kind of phone I have. So as far as the superficial details go, I'm more than content with the 800w.

So if all the Treo Pro can offer me is a "better" look, assumed increase in battery life, and added 3.5mm headphone jack. I doubt I'd go through the hassle of trading in my 800w.

I don't feel "conned" or "duped" or whatever the terminology some of you (who don't even own the phone I might add, which I find particularly interesting) like to use to described our assumed inadequacy towards our phones with the advent of Palm's new gadget.

I hope Palm manages to create an even further "superior" phone, one that actually might warrant throwing my 800w in the trash and garner my awe and dollars; a phone that will inspire in me the disgust of ever having even imagined owning the 800w instead... I'll stick with my current phone until the time is right for me to choose another.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
    -Sri Chinmoy Ghose
    From the other thread I see its AT&T so thats it for me even if I got friends who have AT&T and they envy my Sprint plans and they (atleast here in NY-NJ) hate the network. But it still looks like a nice phone. Im hoping my 800W gets me to the Nova.
    No, it doesn't. The 850 will get much better battery life in the real world than the 800w.
    I hope so. If they can cram more power into a (presumably) smaller package, I'm hoping they could do the same with the centro/800w batteries as well and offer "extended" variants or something similar.

I don't have a big qualm with my 800w's battery life, with my usage it's been easily getting by for the day (not much longer that's for sure). A longer lasting battery is always appreciated though, and I'm hoping it'll become a reality sometime in the near future.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
    -Sri Chinmoy Ghose
    Question: Does the extra processor speed on the Treo Pro negate the extra 350MAh on the battery?.
    No effect.
    And 350 mA although a 30% gross increase, is going to be more like a 50% increase in usable battery time
    Aero, can you back that up?
    So from what I am reading (Correct me if I am wrong) its not going to be avaliable from AT&T or any phone company in the US. Its only avaliable from Palm at the $550 price ($600 with tax and shipping) so no discount that phone companys give like Sprint where they subsizize the price. Well that sucks. Makes the answer to this question easier. for new user thats alot to ask to pay $600 for a phone when most phones like the iphone and centro , 800W etc are so cheap with the discounts and current users whoi use the 800W would be getting a similar phone with a larger battery and different form factor. Its a cool looking phone and in Europe since they are getting discounts it will fly off the shelves but for the US to have to pay so much , that sucks.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/20/2008 at 10:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    So from what I am reading (Correct me if I am wrong) its not going to be avaliable from AT&T or any phone company in the US. Its only avaliable from Palm at the $550 price so no discount that phone companys give like Sprint where they subsizize the price. Well that sucks. Makes the answer to this question easier.

+1... Unless my 800w craps out (i'm on my 2nd one, so far so good!) then looks like I will be keeping it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No effect.
    And 350 mA although a 30% gross increase, is going to be more like a 50% increase in usable battery time
    whuh?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter