Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Darnell- Seriously, why would you choose the 800w over the 850? I mean if they were both CDMA.

I'm sure the battery is removable and the complaint about the speaker is irrelevant. The grill of a speaker does not determine if the speaker will be loud or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Now that was extra lame. I am happily married to a woman I prefer over the lady you would like to date.
    darnell , you must chill my friend.
    Im comentiong about 850 compared to 800 and you come out of left field telling me to get out....very uncool.
    I did not mean to offend you with the rainbow comment...lets start again.
    If you were not married..you know single life..Would you rather go on a date with Jessica Alba or Roseanne Barr?
    Would looks have anything to do with it?

My point being looks do matter to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceoprez View Post
    Darnell- Seriously, why would you choose the 800w over the 850? I mean if they were both CDMA.
    Because I have an 800w now and I'm happy with it. It's not a matter of "choosing over", but rather what I have is fine with me.

When I got my Treo 650, the 700 line came out shortly afterward. I didn't want the 700s. I said way back then, I wanted a WM device with EVDO and WiFi built in, which is all in the 800w.

It's call personal preference. Not everybody wants what ceoprez wants.
    Slingbox - Our conversation is over.

Not everybody wants what Slingbox wants.

And yes, you leaving would only improve the quality of this forum.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Because I have an 800w now and I'm happy with it. It's not a matter of "choosing over", but rather what I have is fine with me.

When I got my Treo 650, the 700 line came out shortly afterward. I didn't want the 700s. I said way back then, I wanted a WM device with EVDO and WiFi built in, which is all in the 800w.

It's call personal preference. Not everybody wants what ceoprez wants.

Tru, but thats like picking an old school BMW over a new school BMW. They both do the same thing well, but the new school BMW looks better. I see where your coming from as to already having the 800w, but what if you did not?
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    If I owned the 800w I would be pissed off and would want to be a 850-PRO owner!
    Palm took advantage of there faithful users dropping the 800w
    Like when RIM releases Wifi or GPS devices, but very rarely both?

Like when HTC releases the original Touch with too little RAM but only a few months later release a newer version?

Like when Apple releases a (shoddy) 3g device only 1 year after release of the 1x version? Or drops the price down within 2 months on the original iPhone?

At the core of it, the Treo Pro is not that different in functionality from the 800w--it's mostly superficial differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    Looks like the Treo 850 is officially the Treo Pro

http://gizmodo.com/5037301/palm-treo...ed-lookin-good
    Kind of funny you link us to a story that originated here at TreoCentral/WMExperts...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    Now I'm debating on if I should take my 800w back. Only drawback I see on this device, is that it looks like its using the centro qwerty kb.
    And it's GSM...you'd have to switch carriers. Some are fine with that but here in SERO land, no phone on earth would get me to switch.
    Is Palm on the same page? Why did they put time and money into the 800w? I would be upset if I got the 800w. This phone makes the 800w look old and the 800w was just released. Better luck next time.

850= Functionality and Sexy
    Best of Both Worlds Hands Down

Most people will say they don't need looks, but this is 2008, stop kidding yourself. Unless your an old school type person. (no offense) lol
    Different development cycles.

The 800w was delayed from last summer/fall. It takes 12-18 months to get a device from design to FCC to carrier testing to customer hands. This is the start of the "newer energy" at Palm from Rubenstein et al.

To all of those with sour grapes:
    1. It's a phone, get over it already
    2. Return yours and switch carriers
    3. Comparing phone-looks to human-looks is pretty shallow and a lame analogy

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Tru, but thats like picking an old school BMW over a new school BMW. They both do the same thing well, but the new school BMW looks better. I see where your coming from as to already having the 800w, but what if you did not?
    What I feel Darnell is trying to convey is that he has no regrets choosing the 800w which works for him....looks dont matter
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    My thoughts:

Pros:
    Sleeker, but I could care less how my phone looks
    POSSIBLY thinner
    POSSIBLY better battery (my 800's is sufficient for me)
    3.5mm adapter (best part)

Cons:
    Small backside speaker (at least the grill is tiny)
    Is the battery actually removable?

Iffy:
    Centro keyboard. I'm not entirely certain it is a centro-style keyboard the more I look at the pics. I do know that the Centro keys require a harder press than the 800's.

My current feeling: Not enough to get me to switch.
    It looks better and more...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=169780
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    What I feel Darnell is trying to convey is that he has no regrets choosing the 800w which works for him....looks dont matter
    cool beans
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Like when RIM releases Wifi or GPS devices, but very rarely both?
    Example,

Sprint BB curve 8330 4.3 OS - GPS , EVDO

Sprint/Nextel BB curve 8350i 4.6 OS due for release in 4th'Q - GPS , Wifi , Push2Talk with hopefully that hybrid touch.

Sprint / Rim should of skipped the 8330 and made the 8350i it centerpiece.
    I will upgrade to 8350i when available if hybrid.

If I owned the 800w and the 850-PRO came along you know which one I would choose...hmm I still may...but you get my point.It was crap for palm and RIM/Sprint to pull such crap.
    For those that say there continent with 800w not having second thoughts after seeing 850 hmm ok lol
    Last edited by slingbox; 08/15/2008 at 10:40 AM.
    For those that say there continent with 800w not having second thoughts after seeing 850 hmm ok lol
    It's not that. I think the Treo Pro looks great and would love to own one.

I'm just an adult now and have been playing with high-tech for awhile. I learned that there is always something better over the horizon and it is just not worth one joule to spend wringing my hands over it.

You just work with what you have (or have access to) and if you're content before the "new thing" was shown, then you should still be content; if you weren't content then don't force yourself into thinking you are, just return the darn thing and wait forever.

I'm just not that into this stuff (even though it's my job) to have "device envy"--I just don't have the energy/motivation. We're still talking about phones.

"There is no greater sin than desire, no greater curse than discontent, no greater misfortune than wanting something for oneself. Therefore [one] who knows that enough is enough will always have enough"
    - Tao Te Ching (46)

cool beans
    I'm glad there is an understanding now.

If Sprint called and told me they had an 850w for Sprint's network, that they would give me for $50 + trade in of my 800w, I'd say no way. But if they said they'd give me an 850w for Sprint's network, for $20 + trade in of my 800w (trading in a manner that didn't cost me a single day without a Treo), I'd say OK.

Because $20 is about how much I'd be willing to pay for a 3.5mm adapter.

(Perhaps more will be told about the 850 in the future, but for the moment, for me, that's about it.)
    Because $20 is about how much I'd be willing to pay for a 3.5mm adapter.
    I just received a pair of Jabra BT8030's (look for my full review next week)...

3.5mm jacks are a complete joke for me now. I think it's a good marketing move, but I'll never touch one again. The 8030 is one of the best audio devices I have ever handled.

Though the 1500mah battery is nice...

I just received a pair of Jabra BT8030's (look for my full review next week)...

3.5mm jacks are a complete joke for me now. I think it's a good marketing move, but I'll never touch one again. The 8030 is one of the best audio devices I have ever handled.

Though the 1500mah battery is nice...
    Now this is an interesting development!

Do you off hand know of any good BT headphones with noise cancellation tech included?
    oh ...enjoy the rainbow.
    Lol.

@darnell
    I mean we are talking about phones here... No need to really get upset. The 800w is still nice, but it is flawed. Lets just have a discussion, no need to defend Palm like they are family.

Mr. Slingbox has contributed tons to the treo community, give him a little slack.
    Maybe I'm weird, but I think the 800w looks fine.
    Well, I'm not incontinent, so that's a plus.

Perhaps you should leave yourself open to the possibility that not everybody's tastes or priorities are identical to yours, so some folks can honestly say that they aren't having second thoughts.
    Last edited by Bujin; 08/15/2008 at 11:35 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Maybe I'm weird, but I think the 800w looks fine.

Well, I'm not incontinent, so that's a plus.

Perhaps you should leave yourself open to the possibility that some folks priorities aren't identical to yours, so some folks can honestly say that they aren't having second thoughts.
    Here, here! The 850 / Pro is probably a mean device but the looks of it are not for me. The bigger battery would be nice but all in all I like the 800w better. And I've been saying this since the first 850 / Pro photo was leaked...

However, if others like it and buy it that is great because that means Palm keeps innovating and that is a good thing for everyone.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    ouch..I hit a nerve...sorry about that.

ouch, I hit another nerve

oh ...enjoy the rainbow.
    hahah!!!

The 3.5 adapter would be enough to lure me into the 850...but the Centro keyboard would scare me away.

But, it's going to be GSM anyways, so it's all moot. Sero @ $30 all the way!
    i get a new phone everytime it comes out. IF IT'S BETTER than the one i got at the time. i get the phones for new customer price and sell the old ones for basicly what i paid for them. so really, it's a no brainer.

i use my devices all day everyday and need them to preform the best they can. so when there are upgrades in technology, that could make my life easier/ beter, then i am all for it. Dieter him self even said the phone's looks was dissapointing. it's not all about the looks, and looks alone wouldn't be enough to make an 800w user want to change devices. let's be honest here though, when talking about the 800w... is isn't the most reliable device they've ever made. preformance alone would be enough for me to want to change devices.

now the bottom line is carrier. There is NO WAY i am leaving sprint for ANY PHONE. unless i could get the same price for data and voice that i do with sprint. 850 is gsm and will NEVER be cdma. 800 is cdma and will never be sprint. the title of this thread should have included something along the lines of "would you switch carriers just to get the 850 verses the 800w".

Now, with Dieter saying the 800w was ulgy. if he was cdma would he be using an 800w... probable. it's the latest and greatest cdma/treo. he has poor cdma service where he is so he is going to be getting the 850.

in closing.... the 850 does look superior to the 800w. looks i say. we dont know how it will preform. the specs looked like the 800w was going to rock as well. come to find that even though TC has a great group of treo lovers ( slingbox and my self included ), the 800w forums show a lot of people haveing a lot of different problems that they didn't have on previous palm devices. i would have one FOR SURE if there weren't the issues that there are. the 850 does look a little more 2008 than the 800w does, but as mal said... the 800w is just late of of the gate. it's beter than nothing. the battery life on the 850 will be beter right of the bat because it is gsm. performance..... only time will tell if it's any beter.

now, let's all get alone and play nice. if we all onw a treo 800w or not doesn't mean we can come to the greatest treo forum in the would, TC. we are ALL treo lovers here. if we currently own one or not.

cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro

"There is no greater sin than desire, no greater curse than discontent, no greater misfortune than wanting something for oneself. Therefore [one] who knows that enough is enough will always have enough"
    - Tao Te Ching (46)
    Good enough is only Good enough until something beter comes around. - Me, i just thought of it. lol.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast