Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ocbizlaw, where did you get the car charger?

I'm using a Moto one from Radio Shack and have used GPS with Live Search (so it was pulling network data over RevA the whole time, which is a huge power hog), plus checked my email with the screen at 100% and hat a net gain for power. A few others have confirmed the same (Hannip, Darnell)

The only problem here is it sounds like the car charger is just not putting out enough power for the phone. Are you using a splicer on the car charger?

btw, this should probably be in another thread
    I'm willing to assert that GPS (with Sprint Navigation which is voice enabled and speaking via the speaker) uses more battery than just talking on the phone.

I've been able to confirm the instance where my Treo 800w's battery went down while on the car charger with a splitter and a radar detector running was a one time fluke. Since then I've seen battery life only increase with the same setup.

And my screen is always at 100% brightness . My volume is always at max too.

I've been on long calls with the Treo 800w plugged into the USB for my PC using a bluetooth headset and can't say I've seen battery drainage. The PC USB cable charges slower than the car or wall charger.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I'm willing to assert that GPS (with Sprint Navigation which is voice enabled and speaking via the speaker) uses more battery than just talking on the phone.

Well - duh, of course it does!
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    And if you wouldn't be able to use WIFI outside of the US you wouldn't be upset?
    I would be, but I wouldn't constantly complain here. I probably would mention it in one of the threads about what I dislike about the 800w, or maybe I would start a thread about that specific issue, just to increase the chances of hearing about an update that I might miss otherwise. After making sure it's not just my device, I'd probably write an email to Palm, or maybe call their corporate headquarters and talk to someone there. I personally wouldn't start a lawsuit (no time and money for that), but if someone else were to start one, I'd probably join.

However, I wouldn't go into every thread and start ranting about the WiFi that doesn't work unless I'm in the U.S. It would serve no purpose, and would only annoy other people.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by willysp View Post
    Well - duh, of course it does!
    I misread a prior comment, which led me to point out what is obvious .
    I got the charger from Sprint and the phone is the only device on it. The real problem isn't that the battery only lasts a few hours. I'm almost always near some power source. The real problem is that the phone will stop charging intermittently so that the charger doesn't work at all. I've installed the update on the charging issue but that had no effect. On top of that, the phone will intermittently just shut down for an hour or more at a time. You can take the battery out, reinstall it, do a rain dance, do whatever you want, the phone just shuts down. And I'm now on my third one.
    The random shut downs seem to be a hardware problem that should be fixed with a replacement.

The battery charging issues may be fixed by the update that Palm released last week.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    If it is only GSM, then I dont think anyone will take back the 800w just to get this one. I can tell you I wouldn't. I have SERO and I will not go with any other carrier than Sprint. Now I may take back my 800w anyway, but not because of the 850.

So you really wont see people all of the sudden return a phone to get one that wont work on their network. Remember that all of these people with 800w are on Sprint. Sprint of course is not GSM.

Obviously we need more info, but I doubt there is a 850 CDMA since we have a new Treo at the moment.
    How would you rate Sprint as a service and rates with regards to your 800w? (In order to get the 800w I'd have to switch from ATT)
    Quote Originally Posted by treo800want View Post
    How would you rate Sprint as a service and rates with regards to your 800w? (In order to get the 800w I'd have to switch from ATT)

Check this out.

And the folks with SERO accounts have it even better than that!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo800want View Post
    Don't do it. The 800w has too many bugs and limitations right now. Switch once the Diamond, Touch Pro or Treo Pro are released. The Diamond comes out this week.
    Don't listen to nsxprime. All the bugs are heavily discussed here. Please decide for yourself rather than listen to a vague warning about how it sucks.
    treo800want - You're going to see comments here for and against the Treo 800w based on each individual's use and preferences. Personally I prefer the Treo 800w. You can read the over 300 comments to see the varied opinions. I don't find my Treo 800w to have so many "bugs and limitations", mine is running great, but that's me and mine. Really you'll have to see for yourself if it works for you. There's always the 30 day trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    However, I wouldn't go into every thread and start ranting about the WiFi that doesn't work unless I'm in the U.S. It would serve no purpose, and would only annoy other people.
    Yes, but your response is a rant as well. If you look I was responding specifically to flip assertion that the lack of Standalone GPS is only a problem if you are in "the Jungle."

I was responding to the belittling of the issue where someone had chosen to belittle the fact that unlike actual Standalone GPS, the 800W Standalone GPS won't work in over 90% of the populated regions of the world. Apparently people think London, Paris, Cairo, Tokyo, Sidney, etc are the "Jungle."
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Apparently people think London, Paris, Cairo, Tokyo, Sidney, etc are the "Jungle."

LOL!!!!
    Well, it comes down to the fact that if you're going to London, Paris, Tokyo, Sidney, etc., and really need GPS there, then the 800w isn't going to do it for you. If you need GPS for normal traveling around the US, it's much more likely to meet your needs.

It's one of dozens of features on the phone, so if that fact is a deal-breaker for you, then so be it. Since I don't travel abroad, the GPS is a terrific service and meets my needs very well.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    If one looks at the Sprint National Coverage map, it's apparent that most of the USA does NOT have Sprint data coverage.
    If one looks at the Sprint National Coverage map, it's apparent that most of the USA does NOT have Sprint data coverage.
    Well, I'm in New England, so my experiences are based upon that, of course. As I think you mentioned in an earlier thread, folks simply have to make educated decisions. If you have data service, GPS will meet your needs, and if not, then it won't.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Well, I'm in New England, so my experiences are based upon that, of course. As I think you mentioned in an earlier thread, folks simply have to make educated decisions. If you have data service, GPS will meet your needs, and if not, then it won't.
    I mentioned making an educated purchase in a thread about battery life. Given the specs provided detail that. But the device specs regarding GPS are highly misleading. So someone could make an educated purchase based on the data provided by Palm and Sprint and still end up with a device that they saw in specs had "stand alone" GPS, then get in the middle of Alaska looking for the road to an oil pipeline and be stuck. Or go down into South Georgia and be stuck. States such as MT, ND, WY, SD, NE and NV have virtually ZERO Sprint coverage, God help the person that needs to drive into those states and owns a Treo 800w!

I'm going to have to do a drive from TN down into Montgomery, AL in the not so distant future and darn-it I'm rather ticked my GPS may not work! I now have a situation where this issue directly may have an adverse impact on me personally.
    I mentioned making an educated purchase in a thread about battery life. Given the specs provided detail that. But the device specs regarding GPS are highly misleading. So someone could make an educated purchase based on the data provided by Palm and Sprint and still end up with a device that they saw in specs had "stand alone" GPS, then get in the middle of Alaska looking for the road to an oil pipeline and be stuck. Or go down into South Georgia and be stuck. States such as MT, ND, WY, SD, NE and NV have virtually ZERO Sprint coverage, God help the person that needs to drive into those states and owns a Treo 800w!

I'm going to have to do a drive from TN down into Montgomery, AL in the not so distant future and darn-it I'm rather ticked my GPS may not work! I now have a situation where this issue directly may have an adverse impact on me personally.
    Road Maps are good, and they work without GPS. Sometimes you might have to buy batteries for your flash light (torch) to read a road map in the dark.

I read the WMExperts review of the Pro. It mentions the Pro ships in a white unbranded box. Is this because its GSM and can be used on several carriers? I wish the Pro was made for Sprint and the 800 was the GSM brother. I want the Pro.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I think it's because they want to try to make it more Apple-esque. Of course it's not going to be branded with a carrier name because it's not on a specific carrier, but I'm sure the box has Palm written somewhere on it.