Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I also use mine as a back scratcher .
    With all that hair and oil on your back, no wonder you are having so many issues.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Having just read the Treonauts review of the Pro, I have to say I'm feeling pretty disappointed with Palm. I imagine this is a bit how the early iPhone adopters felt when Apple slashed prices just months after releasing the phone--only in that case there's an economic argument to be made. But I digress.

The Pro looks superior to the 800w in just about every way, not the least of which being the form factor and (seemingly) enormous battery. I realize it's GSM, and no I'm not going to switch providers to get it (thanks in no small part to a new 2 year contract due to the 800). But if Palm had this phone in the pipes, ready for release so shortly after the 800w, why not take another couple months and really nail the CDMA version, too? (Heck, I've been waiting 3.5 years with my old 650 for a good replacement... I'd have happily waited until 2 months.)

So yes, I'm somewhat bitter. The 800 is a great phone, and I've grown to like it. But the Pro looks so much better that I can't help but feel frustrated with Palm. Big
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nburger View Post
    Having just read the Treonauts review of the Pro, I have to say I'm feeling pretty disappointed with Palm. I imagine this is a bit how the early iPhone adopters felt when Apple slashed prices just months after releasing the phone--only in that case there's an economic argument to be made. But I digress.

The Pro looks superior to the 800w in just about every way, not the least of which being the form factor and (seemingly) enormous battery. I realize it's GSM, and no I'm not going to switch providers to get it (thanks in no small part to a new 2 year contract due to the 800). But if Palm had this phone in the pipes, ready for release so shortly after the 800w, why not take another couple months and really nail the CDMA version, too? (Heck, I've been waiting 3.5 years with my old 650 for a good replacement... I'd have happily waited until 2 months.)

So yes, I'm somewhat bitter. The 800 is a great phone, and I've grown to like it. But the Pro looks so much better that I can't help but feel frustrated with Palm. Big
    I think your words are tempered by your disappointment. The Pro is not superior to the 800w in just about every way; it's superior in a few ways. As far as form factor, the Pro is thinner and lighter, but it is also longer and wider. The battery is better on the Pro. Most will see the flush screen as an improvement (I do), and many people prefer the 3.5mm port, but everything else is pretty much the same. And the keyboard is worse, which is a deal-killer for many people.

The Treo 800w is a great device. Really, it is. The form factor is better than any previous model, and better than most other WM devices on the market. The keyboard is great. It's loaded with features, including stereo BT, WiFi, voice command, WM6.1 (back in July, this was a big deal), GPS (works great for most people, including me), etc. It's amazing how people can go from being so satisfied to being so disappointed when something slightly better is flashed before their eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    With all that hair and oil on your back, no wonder you are having so many issues.
    wow that is sooooooooo funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    It's amazing how people can go from being so satisfied to being so disappointed when something slightly better is flashed before their eyes.
    You ever watch the old game show Let's Make a Deal? The people who won something would be so happy with their winnings, until they saw what they might have had if they held out a moment longer .

If I held out 2 more years I'm sure I could do better than both the Treo 800w and Treo Pro

The Treo Pro is not for me though. Bad keyboard, no soft buttons, that alone makes it hard to use efficiently for my personal needs. I'm usually always on a charger, so I'm not pressed about battery life. You have to remove the Treo Pro's back just to insert or remove a MicroSD card, that's a pain, I prefer the nice MicroSD card door on the Treo 800w. The review mentions that the Treo Pro is not as "snappy" as the Treo 800w, that's another drawback. More processor should not equal less snappy.

I'm keeping the Treo 800w and Palm is really going to have to come with something way better before I move to something else.
    off topic but along a similar theme

Having some major issues with my 800w right now. My original phone was replaced - the new one had MUCH better battery life (with my original battery) and worked great for about a day and half. Then data died. Could call and text all I wanted but if I wanted to use anything data related it was a no go.

Went to sprint and they replaced the phone again and after 2 hours I was back up and running. Two hours later data died again on the new phone.

Go to sprint this morning - they currently have the phone and are trying to figure out what the issue is. They offered to switch me into a different phone. I have spent 4 hours in their store so far and have played numerous times with all the phones

Instinct - Didn't care for it (I like a key pad)
    HTC Touch - didn't care for it
    Mogul - too thick
    tired of blackberries and I want a WM phone
    Centro - had one and switched to the 800 - If I have to go to something else I guess it will be a Centro

Point is I am really happy with 800 when it works. If the Pro was available on Sprint I would be tempted to give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    off topic but along a similar theme

Having some major issues with my 800w right now. My original phone was replaced - the new one had MUCH better battery life (with my original battery) and worked great for about a day and half. Then data died. Could call and text all I wanted but if I wanted to use anything data related it was a no go.

Went to sprint and they replaced the phone again and after 2 hours I was back up and running. Two hours later data died again on the new phone.

Go to sprint this morning - they currently have the phone and are trying to figure out what the issue is. They offered to switch me into a different phone. I have spent 4 hours in their store so far and have played numerous times with all the phones

Instinct - Didn't care for it (I like a key pad)
    HTC Touch - didn't care for it
    Mogul - too thick
    tired of blackberries and I want a WM phone
    Centro - had one and switched to the 800 - If I have to go to something else I guess it will be a Centro

Point is I am really happy with 800 when it works. If the Pro was available on Sprint I would be tempted to give it a try.
    Sounds like a network issue...

I had one of those issues early last year with sprint... spent some time on the phone with a network engineer and they finally figured it out. Was not a big deal... most of the time I forget about that until I read a post like this one.... the chances of two phones having the same issue is remote, unless a widespread problem.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    The Pro is not superior to the 800w in just about every way; it's superior in a few ways. As far as form factor, the Pro is thinner and lighter, but it is also longer and wider.
    Fair enough, though the appearance, which includes the flush screen, is unquestionably better. Many will not care about looks, and there's no question functionality is more important, but with the possible exception of the keyboard the Pro is at least as good as the 800 and better in a number of non-trivial ways. If the Pro was coming out even 6-9 months after the 800, I would see is a natural next step, but that's not what happened.

The Treo 800w is a great device. Really, it is. The form factor is better than any previous model, and better than most other WM devices on the market. The keyboard is great. ...
    I might say "good", even "very good", but that's not my point. Had I known about the Pro, or better yet had Palm just made the 800w a CDMA version of the Pro, I would have bought it instead. The 800 being a great phone doesn't change my belief that Palm dropped the ball by not applying the Pro's updated design & improvements to the 800.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    If I held out 2 more years I'm sure I could do better than both the Treo 800w and Treo Pro
    Of course that's true. But it's not 2 years, it's not even 2 months. Hence my analogy to Apple's pricing on the original iPhone.

Look, the point of this thread was to ask whether one would prefer the Pro to the 800--whether we, in some sense, regret getting the 800. I think there's a strong case to be made that the Pro is just a better phone (again, unless you really can't stand that keyboard) than the 800, and the review I read was gushing. The subtext here it that the Pro is the device everyone wanted in the 800, what it should have been. We've all grown to like the 800 and put up with its "quirks" (battery life, lack of a headphone jack, decent but not eye-catching looks). I would just have rather Palm fixed some of these issues from day 1, since it was clearly planning and able to do so (see: metal stylus).
    [QUOTE=nburger;1490943]Fair enough, though the appearance, which includes the flush screen, is unquestionably better. Many will not care about looks, and there's no question functionality is more important, but with the possible exception of the keyboard the Pro is at least as good as the 800 and better in a number of non-trivial ways. If the Pro was coming out even 6-9 months after the 800, I would see is a natural next step, but that's not what happened.
    QUOTE]

Personally, I think the new styling is garish and rather plain. The front of the device looks rather 'blah,' and there is a ton of wasted space in the mid section. True, it is thinner, but it's also wider and taller, so that's a personal preference. If I wanted a HTC device I'd buy one. I hope all future Treos don't look this way...
    Personally, I like the 800w's looks and am not impressed with the look of the Pro. However, I wasn't impressed with the early pics of the 800w either.

For me, the issue is the keyboard. Since battery life isn't an issue for me, the importance of the keyboard trumps the other features.

I guess that, since the Pro isn't available on Sprint, it's a moot point. Folks can always talk about what Palm should have done regarding the 800w vs. the Pro, but I prefer to judge each phone and provider on their individual merits....I'm very happy with the 800w.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Of course that's true. But it's not 2 years, it's not even 2 months. Hence my analogy to Apple's pricing on the original iPhone.
    Well as I mentioned earlier, even if offered the same day, I don't want the Treo Pro. No disrespect to you wanting one. The launch date for the Treo Pro has not even been announced yet. Could be more than 2 months before it comes out for all we know.
    Also nburger,

We've all grown to like the 800 and put up with its "quirks" (battery life, lack of a headphone jack, decent but not eye-catching looks)
    I don't see these "quirks". Battery life was fully described in the specs, I knew what I was getting before I purchased. I'm around an outlet most of the time, I could care less if the 800w only got 2 hours of talk time, if that was the documented battery life I'd probably still have one. If battery life is an issue for you, consider the specs carefully before your next purchase.

Headphone jack - Buddy, I'm looking forward to bluetooth enabled noise canceling headphones, forget the cords.

Looks - As I've mentioned earlier, I really am not into these "looks", but rather functionality. So for me the 800w is the choice.

I respect your preference of the Treo Pro, but to claim we all enjoy an 800w because of somehow fooling ourselves to like it is incorrect. It's not a "we" in your statement that includes "me".
    Fair enough, though the appearance, which includes the flush screen, is unquestionably better. Many will not care about looks, and there's no question functionality is more important, but with the possible exception of the keyboard the Pro is at least as good as the 800 and better in a number of non-trivial ways. If the Pro was coming out even 6-9 months after the 800, I would see is a natural next step, but that's not what happened.
    No...it's not unquestionably better. As I have posted earlier, as well as other posters in this thread, the 800w looks more professional to me. The Pro may have the professional name...but it's looks are not Pro at all. It's looks are "look at me...I'm a spoiled bratty teenager"...just like the iPhone.

Look, the point of this thread was to ask whether one would prefer the Pro to the 800--whether we, in some sense, regret getting the 800. I think there's a strong case to be made that the Pro is just a better phone (again, unless you really can't stand that keyboard) than the 800, and the review I read was gushing. The subtext here it that the Pro is the device everyone wanted in the 800, what it should have been. We've all grown to like the 800 and put up with its "quirks" (battery life, lack of a headphone jack, decent but not eye-catching looks). I would just have rather Palm fixed some of these issues from day 1, since it was clearly planning and able to do so (see: metal stylus).
    The truth of the matter is...there's no way to tell if the Pro is a better phone or not. Sure, there are reviews, but they haven't spent an excessive amount of time with the phone, so who knows if the phone will have the same problems that the 800w does? There are lots of people on these forums who didn't have a problem with the 800w until a few days in. As far as what we know at the moment, it's only a better phone if each individual thinks it is. For some, the keyboard matters a whole lot, making the 800w a better phone, but for some, it's the flush screen that matters, making the Pro a better phone.

I still to this day do not understand the headphone jack hype. Everybody wants newer and better technology in their phones, but want to hang on to a wired port, even though we are clearly in the age of wireless everything...heck...they've got wireless electricity now. I mean, sure it saves a few bucks, but if you've got a $600 phone, I would think money isn't too tight at the moment.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
    I'm new to Treo from the PPC 6700 (both on Sprint). I bought the Treo because my 6700 died after 3 years and the Treo 800w seemed like the most versatile windows mobile phone available. I should have just gone with a refurbished 6700. The Treo is by far the worst, least reilable phone I've ever owned. I'm on my second one (USB port on the first one didn't work). It randomly shuts down and won't restart then just as randomly comes back on as if it were reset, randomly won't charge via wall charger, USB or car charger and the battery last about 4 hours tops. It's a nightmare. I am going to try Sprint's Diamond the moment it comes out but for sure I'm getting rid of the Treo P.O.S.
    I have the same problem. My Treo, 4 times now in the last couple of weeks, just shuts off and the light stays constant red. It was plugged in. I try to remove battery, etc. After a while, an hour maybe, and the Treo will just turn back on (see green Win Mo screen). Awful problem
    If the battery lasts 50% longer (which they claim), has the headphone jack, GPS is true "Assisted and Standalone", the ringer volume bug is gone and it looks better then the 800 then Hell Yes! Could give a crap about the keyboard, I could adjust to it as long as the Pro could get me through the day bug free.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    If the Pro is wider than the 800 which is wider than the Centro won't the keys be at least as far apart as the 800 keys? So the keyboard won't be as cramped as the Centro. The photos don't indicate it's a small keyboard with lots of extra casing around it. Aren't assumptions being made about the Pro without any but a very select few having even touched it?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I don't see these "quirks". Battery life was fully described in the specs, I knew what I was getting before I purchased. I'm around an outlet most of the time, I could care less if the 800w only got 2 hours of talk time, if that was the documented battery life I'd probably still have one. If battery life is an issue for you, consider the specs carefully before your next purchase.

Headphone jack - Buddy, I'm looking forward to bluetooth enabled noise canceling headphones, forget the cords.

Looks - As I've mentioned earlier, I really am not into these "looks", but rather functionality. So for me the 800w is the choice.

I respect your preference of the Treo Pro, but to claim we all enjoy an 800w because of somehow fooling ourselves to like it is incorrect. It's not a "we" in your statement that includes "me".
    I'll give you looks; that's pure preference. I do think most people tend to view the Pro as a more modern looking device, but maybe that's not for everyone. And who doesn't want a flush screen, if nothing else than to make cleaning easier.

As for the battery, of course I knew the specs, and I was reading people's trials and tribulations here for two weeks before I got the 800. But my 3 year old 650 got better battery life, as will the Pro. So yes, I consider the 800 "quirky" in this department. It may not affect you, but it's certainly a deficiency relative to other products, Treo or otherwise.

I'm looking forward to bluetooth headphones as much as anyone, but I don't sense the technology is "there" yet, and meantime I'd like a decent option now. Also, see: previous post on battery life.

Sure there are going to be people that prefer the 800, especially for the keyboard, apparently (though I would note that none of us has tried it first hand, and although it's similar to the Centro it could well be improved.) I'm just not one of them. We'll have to wait and see what the rest of the market thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    The truth of the matter is...there's no way to tell if the Pro is a better phone or not. Sure, there are reviews, but they haven't spent an excessive amount of time with the phone, so who knows if the phone will have the same problems that the 800w does?
    True, but go back and look at the reviews for the 800. Most of them went something like, "Well, I was expecting more. It's a solid device, sure, and some of the features are great (if a bit late to the table). It feels nice in the hand, and I guess it looks pretty good. Good effort, Palm." Not exactly raving. Maybe the Pro will fall flat on it's face. We'll see. But comparing early reviews there's just a lot more enthusiasm for the Pro.

I'm not trying to be a Pro fanboy. Come 6 months, a year, I'll still be plugging away on my 800. I'm just trying to own up to the fact that I may have purchased somewhat of a stopgap device.
    I'll give you looks; that's pure preference. I do think most people tend to view the Pro as a more modern looking device, but maybe that's not for everyone. And who doesn't want a flush screen, if nothing else than to make cleaning easier.
    OK

As for the battery, of course I knew the specs, and I was reading people's trials and tribulations here for two weeks before I got the 800. But my 3 year old 650 got better battery life, as will the Pro. So yes, I consider the 800 "quirky" in this department. It may not affect you, but it's certainly a deficiency relative to other products, Treo or otherwise.
    Well then I have no ear for your complaint regarding battery life. You made your purchase not only fully informed, but additionally informed by what you saw many others saying.

I had a Treo 650 before the 800w also and I don't find that it's logical to compare Treo 650 battery life overall, because the Treo 650 can't do half of what the Treo 800w does. So given the additional features, the only unifying measures are talk time and standby time. I find if no other features are used, the talk time and standby time estimates are accurate. They are in my own testing of my own Treo 800w. In fact I found standby time to be beyond the estimates. So using a Treo 800w EXACTLY like a Treo 650 is used during the course of a day, the battery life of both is rather comparable. This also means using a data plan with the 800w that does NOT have EVDO .

You're complaining to compare Treo 650 battery life to the 800w, is like crying that a Lamborghini uses more gas than a Chey Malibu .

I'm looking forward to bluetooth headphones as much as anyone, but I don't sense the technology is "there" yet, and meantime I'd like a decent option now. Also, see: previous post on battery life.
    Well it's already "there" in my own opinion, but the only thing not yet in BT headphones is noise cancellation tech.

Sure there are going to be people that prefer the 800, especially for the keyboard, apparently (though I would note that none of us has tried it first hand, and although it's similar to the Centro it could well be improved.) I'm just not one of them. We'll have to wait and see what the rest of the market thinks.
    I know the soft keys are missing and that's not good to me. I know just to add and remove an SD card I'd have to remove the back cover, I don't like that either. And while not the deciding factor, I've got a Treo 800w in my hands right now, while Treo Pro is still not yet available. Every day the Treo Pro is not released is another day longer I've already had with a device that has pretty much the same, with softkeys . I'm happy to have already purchased the 800w, you'd be happier with the Treo Pro. If it's still less than 30 days, you can return your 800w and wait for the Treo Pro .
    And who doesn't want a flush screen, if nothing else than to make cleaning easier.
    Me.

It might be easier to clean, but I personally would rather have a dirty screen than a broken one. I can drop things without a flush screen a hundred times, and the screen will more than likely be okay, but drop that flush screen device once, and it would more than likely be broken.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w