Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    I only use the GPS when driving, so needing cellular coverage is not an issue where I'm at or where I'm going when driving. But the Treo 800w specs do say "standalone and assisted". So if the Treo 800w's GPS can't function as a standalone GPS, I think those upset about that have a reason to be. The specs mention "standalone and assisted".
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    A cellular signal is not needed to check e-mail, remember, WiFi .
    That's even worse :-\ And I think it should be implied that I'm talking about needing any kind of signal. My point still stands whether you're using your Sprint connection or your wifi connection. If you have to have a data connection, then it's not real GPS.
  3. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Can someome point me to where they promised stand alone GPS, I checked the box and it definitely doesn't promise you that on the box. All it says on the box is "GPS Navigation capable"

I'd really like to know, my buddy's a class action attorney who's always on the hunt for good cases. I just don't see the promise you people keep raving about.
    So to all those who are complaining...let me ask you a question.

How many of you would NOT have bought the phone if Palm had NOT advertised it as standalone GPS?
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    That's even worse :-\ And I think it should be implied that I'm talking about needing any kind of signal. My point still stands whether you're using your Sprint connection or your wifi connection. If you have to have a data connection, then it's not real GPS.
    Notice where I was talking about WiFi, it was only regarding e-mail. With a big grin [ ] to let you know it was for fun. Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Can someome point me to where they promised stand alone GPS, I checked the box and it definitely doesn't promise you that on the box. All it says on the box is "GPS Navigation capable"
    See my prior comment with the link directly to the claim right on Palm's web site.

I really like the GPS feature and don't need standalone GPS, but those upset about it have a fair reason to be, if the GPS does not work standalone. Sprint should make a patch to somehow unlock the GPS if it does not currently work standalone. They claim standalone GPS on their own site. A customer is RIGHT to expect a device to work as advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I stand corrected. However Windows Mobile has software soft keys and, so, I feel my point still stands.
    Right, but my point is still relevant: if you are using a full screen app and now cannot see the "software" soft keys, how do you access them?

Run PIE in full screen mode and see what I'm talking about--try to access device functions (favorites, home, address bar, etc.) without touching your hardware soft keys (hint: you have to use the popup menu via the long on screen press).

It's the same thing for a lot of video programs, image viewers, Live Search (!) etc. It's also a similar reason why I don't like the old Touch: no "ok" button; I have to shoot my thumb to the top of the screen instead of just hitting a key by the dpad.

Getting rid of buttons looks better but the function is a lot less.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I realize that, for those who seem to have this desperate need to criticize the 800w in every single post, the standalone GPS is a deal-breaker. ...Is it really worth this level of drama?
    What level of "drama"? I see the "drama" as yours.

If wifi didn't work without first polling Sprint for a connection lots of people would be saying "what the heck" and lots of people would be saying "why the 'drama' when you have EVDO?"

Standalone GPS was something Palm hawked in its pre-release publicity (that is why you see it in all the pre-release notices) and something listed as a feature in their post release sell sheets. They hawked it as a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    For the record, it really doesn't bother me that I have to have a cellular signal to use GPS. I'd need it to download the maps on all the GPS software I use anyway. So as far as I'm concerned, GPS does work fine.
    It also doesn't bother me that I have to have a cellular signal to check email or make calls, for what it's worth.
    Again the sarcastic tag sentence is really unhelpful. Let me rephrase it Jeff the way it comes off:
    It also doesn't bother me that I have to have a cellular signal to use WiFi for what it's worth.
    A cellular signal is not needed to check e-mail, remember, WiFi .
    Exactly. Again, If Palm's WiFi required a cell signal , would those saying it wasn't working in the industry understood manner be wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post

I'd really like to know, my buddy's a class action attorney who's always on the hunt for good cases. I just don't see the promise you people keep raving about.
    It says "Standalone GPS" in multiple location on the Palm Site. I have three different screen shots where it says it and does so unqualified. I have statements from Sprint tech support saying it should work with NO CDMA but Palm failed to properly implement it.

I am not a class action type of person and that is not what the users are saying. Those of us who need it simply want this feature implemented or a straight answer from Palm.
    Of course I would prefer the bigger battery, flat screen, thinner body, and headphone jack but other than that, I think it is the same phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It says "Standalone GPS" in multiple location on the Palm Site. I have three different screen shots where it says it and does so unqualified. I have statements from Sprint tech support saying it should work with NO CDMA but Palm failed to properly implement it.

I am not a class action type of person and that is not what the users are saying. Those of us who need it simply want this feature implemented or a straight answer from Palm.
    Do you actually need it? Or are you just griping because of a technicality? How does the requirement for a cellular signal actually impact you personally?
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Do you actually need it? Or are you just griping because of a technicality? How does the requirement for a cellular signal actually impact you personally?
    With all due respect, I don't want to offend you or Aero by jumping in on a question to him, but this issue impacts any of us if we have to drive in an area where cell service might be down.

My word, I'd hate to have been in New Orleans with a Treo 800w trying to navigate a route to reach some people at an address needing help if cell service was out in that particular area .

Someone else has already mentioned they were out in a rural area expecting to be able to use GPS and could not.

This for some is very much a legitimate issue. And it just might be an issue for any of us if a storm knocks out cell service in our respective area for a while.
    With all due respect, I don't want to offend you or Aero by jumping in on a question to him, but this issue impacts any of us if we have to drive in an area where cell service might be down.

My word, I'd hate to have been in New Orleans with a Treo 800w trying to navigate a route to reach some people at an address needing help if cell service was out in that particular area .

Someone else has already mentioned they were out in a rural area expecting to be able to use GPS and could not.

This for some is very much a legitimate issue. And it just might be an issue for any of us if a storm knocks out cell service in our respective area for a while.
    That makes sense, but I have to wonder how many people are going to have the locally stored maps for that to make a difference. If you're using Google Maps or Live Search, no data connection means no maps, either. What good is a GPS position dot sitting in the middle of a chessboard?

I'm just saying that from a practical standpoint, I doubt this is really a major issue.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    What good is a GPS position dot sitting in the middle of a chessboard?

I'm just saying that from a practical standpoint, I doubt this is really a major issue.
    That's based on your perception of the term "practical".

People doing various types of scavenger hunts use stand alone GPS all the time.

Palm advertised standalone GPS and still does. They need to come with an update and make this right.
    So many posts...and yet no one answered my question. I'm thinking that means that most of these people are complaining on a technicality.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    So to all those who are complaining...let me ask you a question.

How many of you would NOT have bought the phone if Palm had NOT advertised it as standalone GPS?
    Here's the thing - I never buy a device right away when it comes out (mostly because I'm broke lol, but hypothetically speaking...). I usually like to wait for people to report back with their experiences first.

Now assuming Palm didn't specify what kind of GPS was in the 800w and only said it's capable of GPS, someone would eventually have pointed out that the GPS only works when there's a signal (similarly to how it has already been done) and then I would know that the 800w does not support standalone GPS and I wouldn't buy it. I'm not even interested in the 800w right now just because of the GPS issue and all the other things I keep hearing about.
    Okay...so that's 1 who would NOT have bought it had Palm NOT advertised it as standalone (or in his case...will not buy it because it is standalone).

Who else?
    Freak4Dell - Regardless of whether someone would purchase the device or not because of stand alone GPS does not mean Treo 800w owners should not seek to ensure the device meets the advertised specs.

I usually don't talk on a single call for over 1 hour, but if I learned the Treo 800w does not allow a single call to go beyond 1 hour I think it would be good to seek a resolution from Palm. Just because it does not amount to a "would not purchase" concern does not mean a complaint is meaningless.

I mean if you don't care that the device you paid for does not meet the advertised specs, you speak for yourself. Those who want to speak about the issue have a legitimate gripe. Don't blame those who complain, blame Palm for not meeting their advertised specs. The only reason we know the specs were not met is because people are actually trying to use standalone GPS for their own individual legitimate purposes and cannot. They paid for standalone and assisted GPS, not locked down assisted GPS. So this is not some trivial griping, but a legitimate issue.
    I'm not saying that it's not important. I'm saying that people are arguing based on a technicality, when for most of them, it doesn't even matter at all. They're arguing for no reason. I personally would not be mad about the GPS, because it doesn't matter to me.

Having said that, even still, it's perfectly understandable that people are mad. After all, the device does not work as advertised, whether they use the feature or not. However, Palm and Sprint have said they're working on a solution. Repeatedly crying about it doesn't help anything. It just makes for an annoying person. Just sit patiently, and wait until Palm fixes it. Is that so hard to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    I'm not saying that it's not important. I'm saying that people are arguing based on a technicality, when for most of them, it doesn't even matter at all. They're arguing for no reason. I personally would not be mad about the GPS, because it doesn't matter to me.

Having said that, even still, it's perfectly understandable that people are mad. After all, the device does not work as advertised, whether they use the feature or not. However, Palm and Sprint have said they're working on a solution. Repeatedly crying about it doesn't help anything. It just makes for an annoying person. Just sit patiently, and wait until Palm fixes it. Is that so hard to do?
    Well it does not matter at all to you, so of course you're not expressing any anger. You're just fine with yours as it is.

It matters to those who have a Treo 800w and want this problem resolved. For them, saying nothing more might only leave Palm assuming the fix can be delayed rather than made a high priority. The more they complain, the higher a priority it will be for Palm to resolve the issue. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's only a time proven fact.

Having many a Treo over the years, I know the updates are not often and usually don't fix all issues the first time out. So those who scream loudest just might get their issue resolved first.

This really was a misleading action on Palm's part and they better hope these folks stick to just complaining online, because if they get quite, somebody might call an attorney.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast