Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    How are soft keys, which are a part of WM, redundant?

Going further, say you are running video, a web browser, an image viewer, etc. in "full screen mode"...now how are you access the soft keys if you cannot see them?

In that mode, touching the screen where the keys would be does not emulate their function. So now what?

It's a very poor decision to not have hardware soft keys.
    What you have said would make sense if there was a world with no HTC devices.

But as I said in my original post, each his own... if palm were to make the 800w without the keys, I'm sure they would not leave you stuck without someway to navigate. This might be a cool argument if important.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    .........1, wtf are yall in here talkin' about?!?!

.........2, answer the original question.. you keepin' ya ish' or not?

.........3, this board is a dayum trip...
    What are you tripping on? Type correctly, and maybe people will listen and answer the question.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    What are you tripping on? Type correctly, and maybe people will listen and answer the question.

........ not my question, the original posterz' question

........ i'm typing correctly you lame.

........ FREE POST!
    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    ........ not my question, the original posterz' question

........ i'm typing correctly you lame.

........ FREE POST!
    I searched Google, Merriam-Webster, and Dictionary.com. None of them seems to think "posterz'" is a word.

Lame is a verb, not a noun. I guess I'll give you credit for it, because it is a noun in slang, but still...

Sentences end with a period; they don't start with 10 of them. A capital letter usually looks good at the beginning of a sentence, too.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Lame is a verb, not a noun. I guess I'll give you credit for it, because it is a noun in slang, but still...
    Actually, 'lame' is an adjective, but I'm with you 100%
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Well now that we've had our grammar lesson....

I saw Mobility Today's unboxing said the same thing about no real softkeys, and that it's the "only WM device without them." Has no one seen HTC devices? The touch has never ever, in any form, had real soft keys and it has been a huge seller with no problems not having them. It's personal preference really, but far from "needed to function properly"
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post
    Well now that we've had our grammar lesson....

I saw Mobility Today's unboxing said the same thing about no real softkeys, and that it's the "only WM device without them." Has no one seen HTC devices? The touch has never ever, in any form, had real soft keys and it has been a huge seller with no problems not having them. It's personal preference really, but far from "needed to function properly"
    I don't care for the Pro, but let's face it... They're named 'Soft Keys' because they were meant to be SOFTware based from the getgo. I like the Palm hardware SOFT keys but they are not necessary for a WM device.

And yes, many WM devices are hardware SOFT key free... LOL
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Well, I made one of the first posts on this thread stating that I would not give up my 800w for a Pro. I now get to eat my words. I sent my 800w back a couple of days ago out of frustration from the lack of a headphone adapter. I tried the motorola adapters without success, and I just don't want to cut and splice the OEM headset. Bluetooth sets are nice, but if I'm going to spend extra money, then I figure I might as well use the cash on the Pro. Hopefully I can tolerate the Pro's keyboard, as I LOVED the keyboard on the 800w. Best static keyboard on a PDA, IMO.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I don't care for the Pro, but let's face it... They're named 'Soft Keys' because they were meant to be SOFTware based from the getgo. I like the Palm hardware SOFT keys but they are not necessary for a WM device.

And yes, many WM devices are hardware SOFT key free... LOL
    This is a nit, but I respectfully disagree. I believe they're called "softkeys" because they're software configurable. There are plenty of non-touchscreen devices, like the Helio Ocean for one, that have softkeys. Aren't there non-touchscreen WM devices that have softkeys? In fact, there are non-touchscreen ATM machines with softkeys. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand the use of the term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    This is a nit, but I respectfully disagree. I believe they're called "softkeys" because they're software configurable. There are plenty of non-touchscreen devices, like the Helio Ocean for one, that have softkeys. Aren't there non-touchscreen WM devices that have softkeys? In fact, there are non-touchscreen ATM machines with softkeys. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand the use of the term.
    I stand corrected. However Windows Mobile has software soft keys and, so, I feel my point still stands.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Actually, 'lame' is an adjective, but I'm with you 100%
    Doh! I knew that...just wasn't thinking when I typed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    How are soft keys, which are a part of WM, redundant?

Going further, say you are running video, a web browser, an image viewer, etc. in "full screen mode"...now how are you access the soft keys if you cannot see them?

In that mode, touching the screen where the keys would be does not emulate their function. So now what?

It's a very poor decision to not have hardware soft keys.
    blah, blah, blah

I'd rather have a working earpiece and GPS over never-needed hard buttons for the softkeys.
    Funny, I the earpiece and GPS on my 800w work fine. Must just be you.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    Funny, I the earpiece and GPS on my 800w work fine. Must just be you.
    I don't approve of the way he phrased it, but if you have working standalone gps on the 800w, it is just you!
    I realize that, for those who seem to have this desperate need to criticize the 800w in every single post, the standalone GPS is a deal-breaker. For my needs, it's very cool. My earpiece works fine as well.

It amazes me that so many arguments are caused by a hypothetic question regarding taking the 800w back. For most folks, they simply aren't, due to (a) their satisfaction with the 800w, and/or (b) their unwillingness to leave Sprint. Why is this such a controversy?

I guess I'm confused as to why a few folks need to repeat the same criticisms over and over and over again. Are folks sense of self-worth so incredibly tied to the cell phone they own? Is it really worth this level of drama?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Whats wrong with the standalone GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Whats wrong with the standalone GPS?

It doesn't work in true standalone fashion. If you are outside of Sprint coverage you can't make a GPS connection. Standalone means working anywhere you can get a satellite reading, even in the middle of the ocean. Palm has crippled the GPS so you have to be within Sprint coverage.

Don't know if it works in a CDMA roaming area, but it certainly doesn't work in the boondocks.
    Sharp Zaurus 5700/5800 > Rex 5000/6000 > HP Jornada 568 > Kyo 7135 > T-Mo MDA (Wizard) > iPaq 6945 > Treo 800w > Acer F900 > T-Mo HD2
    For the record, it really doesn't bother me that I have to have a cellular signal to use GPS. I'd need it to download the maps on all the GPS software I use anyway. So as far as I'm concerned, GPS does work fine.

It also doesn't bother me that I have to have a cellular signal to check email or make calls, for what it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    For the record, it really doesn't bother me that I have to have a cellular signal to use GPS. I'd need it to download the maps on all the GPS software I use anyway. So as far as I'm concerned, GPS does work fine.
    Well that's just you though... that doesn't change the fact that it's not what it's supposed to be.

It also doesn't bother me that I have to have a cellular signal to check email or make calls, for what it's worth.
    Requiring a signal to make calls or check email makes perfect sense since it naturally involves connection to the carrier's network and transmission of data. Standalone GPS however, should not involve a connection to anything but the GPS satallites. If you have to connect to your carrier before you can use the GPS function, it's not true standalone GPS.
    A cellular signal is not needed to check e-mail, remember, WiFi .
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast