Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...but not a complaint.

I'm usually pretty suspicious regarding solutions to the battery issues for the 800w. However, other posts stated that you can improve battery life by changing the mail settings. Specifically:

- Go to Mail ---> Delivery Preferences and UNCHECK the "check for messages" box
    - Go to Tools ---> Options ---> tap your account and then enter your "Send/Receive Settings"

I gave it a try and have seen a huge difference - I can go from 9AM - 5PM of light usage and still have over 65% power left. Because there wasn't much discussion about this, I didn't know (a) if folks generally knew about it, and (b) if they saw a significant difference.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I do know that I had a faulty device. My
    battery would drain to <30% in about 2-3 hours without much use and was
    missing several calls. I exchanged it and that I know of haven't missed a
    single call and am sitting at 80% after 9 hrs.

I think there is a problem with some of the radios not shutting off
    correctly thus draining the battery and not receiving the call signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    ...but not a complaint.

I'm usually pretty suspicious regarding solutions to the battery issues for the 800w. However, other posts stated that you can improve battery life by changing the mail settings. Specifically:

- Go to Tools ---> Options ---> tap your account and then enter your "Send/Receive Settings"

I gave it a try and have seen a huge difference - I can go from 9AM - 5PM of light usage and still have over 65% power left. Because there wasn't much discussion about this, I didn't know (a) if folks generally knew about it, and (b) if they saw a significant difference.
    If you uncheck the box "check for messages", does your email still come to the phone, or do you have to manually check?
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    If you uncheck the box "check for messages", does your email still come to the phone, or do you have to manually check?
    As long as you select an interval under "Tools-options - send/receive settings", it still checks. I don't know if it was simply checking twice as often if both are checked, or if there's another issue. But it has made a huge difference.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    As long as you select an interval under "Tools-options - send/receive settings", it still checks. I don't know if it was simply checking twice as often if both are checked, or if there's another issue. But it has made a huge difference.
    Cool. I'll give anything a try if it will help the battery.
  6.    #6  
    Cool. I'll give anything a try if it will help the battery.
    Well, it seems to have made a difference, but I'm very curious about others' opinions. It may all be in my imagination.

Well, it seems to have made a difference, but I'm very curious about others' opinions. It may all be in my imagination.
    My phones been pretty consistent this week, lasting about 7.5 hours. I'll post tomorrow night with some results.
    I don't think I have ever had the box checked and aside from the battery issues I've posted elsewhere, i.e. when the phone is hot or constantly searching for a signal, I have had few complaints about battery life.

And it appears to be getting better. Today, after my drive in (during which I charge the phone) I walked into my office at 100%....15 minutes (or so) later I checked and still at 100%! I figured the QuickMenu battery meter was broken. I left my office about an hour later for court and checked, 97%. Spent all day in court, albeit with little user phone activity, and didn't get below 70% until after 4:00pm. That would have been 6 hours off a charger. On my drive home I charge and get home with 97% or so and now two hours later, back down to 82%, but again my home is a black hole for Sprint.

So maybe there is something to that box....
    I've had those set that way for a while; I got a noticable increase by just changing the receive to 2 hours instead of 1.
    Life is a carnival, believe it or not,
    Life is a carnival, two bits a shot
    ...but not a complaint.

It's also made huge difference for me, and I'm only halfway through the day. I unchecked it last night and charged overnight. I'm halfway through the work day (off charger from 8am-1pm so far) and am at 82%. Relatively light usage thus far (ActiveSync w/ work email, probably 15-20 emails; Gmail syncing hourly; a few short calls; a couple texts; WeatherPanel updating hourly). A typical day for me at this rate would put me in the lower 60% by now. Glad I saw this, I have been wanting to get a second battery, but now won't have to worry about it.
    ...but not a complaint.

Thank you for posting this, it has totally improved my battery life today. Haven't been plugged in since 8 am and I'm at 85% at 2 pm with light to moderate use. Normally would be under 50%.

This is great, because I was about to return this phone and get something else, but only because the battery life was so bad.
    My phones been pretty consistent this week, lasting about 7.5 hours. I'll post tomorrow night with some results.
    count me as a believer. After 7.5 hours, i still have 72% remaining. i have never even got close to these results before. My treo thanks you :-)

my wifes 800w didn't have the first box checked. Now I finally know why her battery lasts so much longer
  13.    #13  
    count me as a believer. After 7.5 hours, i still have 72% remaining. i have never even got close to these results before. My treo thanks you :-)
    I actually found it elsewhere on these boards, so I can't take credit. My goals were to (a) get other opinions on it, and (b) spread the word, as it seemed to be lost among the threads.

So is there a better way to promote this strategy and perhaps put the battery issue to rest (at least a bit)?
    Last edited by Bujin; 08/15/2008 at 03:30 PM.

I actually found it elsewhere on these boards, so I can't take credit.
    Original thread with linky from Hannip (post #6) to old-school 700wx thread as to why to do this...

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=169575
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Just curious what setting are you using for the Tools--> Options.

I had it at 2 hours, but went to 4 now to test it out. The Deliv Pref selection is unchecked.
  16.    #16  
    I set my Tools/Options to check every 60 minutes.
    This is absolutely blowing my mind. 10 hours and I'm at 67%.

PS My email is set for every 30 minutes.
    The e-mail settings are confusing. I didn't want my e-mail to download automatically and had it unchecked, but still at least once a day, it would retrieve new e-mails.

There is another setting under the tools to do a send/receive any time you do a send. I've unchecked that and so far so good.
    Wow I will add to the list of praises. I have gotten my phone to be pretty good with the battery with all the tips but this one is kickazz . I did these changes and it was at 96% . Left it sitting on desk, phone on . 3 hours later its at 94% . I was like WOAH. Usualy I would see 87% or so. An amazing find . far as I am concered the battery issue is solved completly. i get better battery time now then I did on my centro. After last week making the adjustment I had to give it a quick charge during the day but I think I cna go the whole day or more without any charges now but still keep a battery in my pocket jusy incase. Im not a power user but I spend my whole trip in to work (1 hour) on the phone / internet/ emaiil / text then make 2-3 calls during the day. I listen to 2-3 songs on my walk from penn station to work.I check my email all day and send email. 2-3 songs on the way walkiing back to penn station and another hour going home using the internet . Before the tweaks i would have had a dead phone. after the twekas I was around 50% now I expect to be around 65% or better by the end of the day. Lovin the 800W more each day. Anyone who gave up on this phone before the battery tips gave up too soon. so muc better now .

Edit its now 2:30 am 3 hours later and still 94% . This is simply amazing. What a find. not a drop in battery with the phone off. And I am not sure why it would kill the battery with the phone off but maybe it still looks for emails , attempts when the phone is off using power.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/16/2008 at 01:40 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast