Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I actually found it elsewhere on these boards, so I can't take credit. My goals were to (a) get other opinions on it, and (b) spread the word, as it seemed to be lost among the threads.

So is there a better way to promote this strategy and perhaps put the battery issue to rest (at least a bit)?
    You are not imagining things. Before I did this, I noticed that GMail would come in very fast. Then I watched Outlook and saw it was connecting too frequently - not twice as much, but more like ever 5-10 minutes. After switching this off, it connects once per interval like it's supposed to and all is well.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    The e-mail settings are confusing. I didn't want my e-mail to download automatically and had it unchecked, but still at least once a day, it would retrieve new e-mails.

There is another setting under the tools to do a send/receive any time you do a send. I've unchecked that and so far so good.
    Ok, this isn't working for me. My treo is still downloading e-mail even though I have every setting I can find set to not do it. I have it set to manually download, no schedule, no send/recieve when I send yet I get up this morning and it has downloaded the e-mail.

I know this is slightly off topic but what am I missing? Could a third party app cause it?
    ...but not a complaint.

I'm usually pretty suspicious regarding solutions to the battery issues for the 800w. However, other posts stated that you can improve battery life by changing the mail settings. Specifically:

- Go to Mail ---> Delivery Preferences and UNCHECK the "check for messages" box
    - Go to Tools ---> Options ---> tap your account and then enter your "Send/Receive Settings"

I gave it a try and have seen a huge difference - I can go from 9AM - 5PM of light usage and still have over 65% power left. Because there wasn't much discussion about this, I didn't know (a) if folks generally knew about it, and (b) if they saw a significant difference.
    I can't find these options to save my life, but that may be because the only email account I have is Exchange. What are you using? This is all within the Inbox application itself, yes?
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    I can't find these options to save my life, but that may be because the only email account I have is Exchange. What are you using? This is all within the Inbox application itself, yes?
    Yeah, these settings aren't there for Exchange. I have an Exchange and an IMAP account setup, and the settings were available for the IMAP account only.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Yeah, these settings aren't there for Exchange. I have an Exchange and an IMAP account setup, and the settings were available for the IMAP account only.
    Thanks for the insight - I was going crazy looking for those settings but I use Exchange only as well.
    I thought these changes saved my battery, as my battery life dramatically improved . . . until today. In 6 hours with no use of anything, i went from 100% to 22%, not horrible by any means, but i can't figure out why its so sporadic. Yesterday in 13 hours i went down from 100 to 55%, with average use. Today its down 78% with no use in six hours?? At least its better than it was.
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Wow that is a drastic change, another thing i noticed that might be draining the battery is the periodic turning on of the screen. I know this used to happen on the 755p and thought i got rid of that bug when i switched to the 800. I don't know what causes it to randomly turn when its just sitting there.
    also theres an option on settings > connections>wi fi prefs apears enable power safe mode, conserves battery life but slow performance and conecction on manually
    I went 24 hours and was at 55% with minimal usage yesterday after the tweak. Set the mail at 30 minutes with around 20 texts, no phone calls. Very good tweak!
    ...but not a complaint.

I'm usually pretty suspicious regarding solutions to the battery issues for the 800w. However, other posts stated that you can improve battery life by changing the mail settings. Specifically:

- Go to Mail ---> Delivery Preferences and UNCHECK the "check for messages" box
    - Go to Tools ---> Options ---> tap your account and then enter your "Send/Receive Settings"

I gave it a try and have seen a huge difference - I can go from 9AM - 5PM of light usage and still have over 65% power left. Because there wasn't much discussion about this, I didn't know (a) if folks generally knew about it, and (b) if they saw a significant difference.

Great post.....

THANKS!!!!!!!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I did this as well. Definitly saw an increase, No 24 hours / 55%. But really good. probably more like 24 hours from off charger to dead. Much better then my previous 8.
    Is there any hope for us exchange users?
    I got a similar increase in battery life (i was down to 50% after 15 hours) when i switched from Poutlook to Flexmail and used IMAP idle with my gmail. Not only do i get my email instantly, my battery life improved by 4-5x (I used to not even last 8 hours)!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Is there any hope for us exchange users?
    I use Exchange and several pop accounts see my comment above yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpule View Post
    I use Exchange and several pop accounts see my comment above yours.
    Michael,

What settings did you use for exchange, or did you change it from get email as items arrive to some sort of hourly schedule?

Thanks,
    Rich
    I've always understood that the push of an Exchange server is easier on the battery than incremental pulling. However, here is what someone from the MSDN network has to say "With any polling architecture, the question is "how often". With mobile devices this answer is a balance between battery life and user requirements. PUSH email is cool, but scheduled sync adds battery life to your device is you don't need updates right away."

From the URL http://blogs.msdn.com/hegenderfer/ar...rspective.aspx

So, if I find myself getting unhappy with battery life I may give pull a try. For now though, mine does just fine.
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but...

When using an exchange account, what are the prefered battery saving settings for email?

I cant seem to find the settings mentioned above.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but...

When using an exchange account, what are the prefered battery saving settings for email?

I cant seem to find the settings mentioned above.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Rich, I use Exchange mail on mail2web.com. I receive my messages as they arrive and really don't seem to see a big hit on battery life. However, read my link just above yours and a MS developer says that push is harder on battery life than pull (Assuming you're not pulling every few minutes though).
    Unplugged from the phone charger at 8AM this morning. It is now close to 2PM and I have 22% battery remaining. Only used the phone for 10 minutes on a call using Bluetooth and Exchange email.

Something is not right with this phone. This is my 2nd 800w and my 1st one had considerably better battery life.

Tae
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Michael,

What settings did you use for exchange, or did you change it from get email as items arrive to some sort of hourly schedule?

Thanks,
    Rich
    I didn't change anything in the mail program for send recieve options on the exchange account. I did what was mentioned above on my pop account and general mail settings. I still get Push Emails via Exchange and check my pop account every 30 minutes as directed above.

I'd suggest adding a pop account just so you can change the settings if you don't have one.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast