Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. haus's Avatar
    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
       #1  
    I received a text message yesterday; looking back at it today I noticed that my 800w has listed the sender as a completely different person from my contact list! This is very odd, and I'm glad I didn't try to reply because it would have gone to the wrong person. Soft reset does not help; the wrong name still shows.

    Anyone else seen this? I don't have the original sender's contact info in my contact list, though the message is legitimate.

    Edit: the story gets weirder!! The SMS was also cc'd to my outlook email. When I click the person's name in pocket outlook, it opens the other person's contact info in Contacts!!! Whoa...
    Last edited by haus; 08/14/2008 at 03:49 PM.
  2. bige54's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #2  
    Is it possible you entered the same phone number for more than one contact?
  3. haus's Avatar
    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
       #3  
    Nope. The original sender isn't even in my contacts list. She's a legitimate sender, though - just not someone in my contact list. The person that the phone is linking to has a completely different name and email address. And I mean completely. I can't give out names, but it's like Claudia vs. Steve, and the domains are totally different. One is gmail and the other is a hardware company that only shares one letter with "gmail"! Oh, and the original sender's phone number isn't even in the SMS, it was sent via email.

    Strange, huh.
  4. #4  
    Sounds like an error between the phone and the keyboard...


    er, that saying doesn't work well with a mobile phone.
  5. haus's Avatar
    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
       #5  
    I think that's uncalled for. I'm a longtime member of a lot of forums, I've been working with WM phones for years, and I'm a programmer. PEBCAK is not a label my associates usually place on me, to put it bluntly.

    I am not making this up. A user sent me an email, and the 800w says it's coming from someone else in my contacts list. Period.
  6. #6  
    The only way I've seen this is when a phone number is on multiple contacts.

    *shrug*
  7. haus's Avatar
    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
       #7  
    Solved. There is an erroneous email entry in the Contact's entry in outlook, "CA". It's an incorrect field mapping from an old contacts database in outlook. Listed as "email 2", just "CA" (mis-mapped from the state, which is California, or CA). The first two letters of the SMS sender's name are Ca. So the treo looked up "Ca..." and found an email address of "CA" and linked the two.

    Not sure how the state abbr. became an email address within outlook, though I've switched hosted exchange providers several times in the last couple of years and had to do lots of importing/exporting and a move to Outlook 2007. Maybe PEBCAK, maybe not, but I still think it's odd that the mail program is so "grabby" when it comes to matches. That's a false positive match if I ever saw one.

    And confirmed: removing the CA email address and syncing with the exchange server results in the sender of the original message being reported correctly; if I click her name, it now asks if I want to send an email to her gmail account or "Find this contact in your organization's address book".

Posting Permissions