Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a dead 650 (palm os) and am considering the centro or the 800w. I know using the 650 with keysuites that I get flawless sync with Outlook (windows xp pro) for every field, task, category, calendar event etc -absolutely no issues ever.

I've never used a windows phone.

Is there actually a version of Outlook on the phone? Is the syncing flawless?

Thanks.
    I use it with an Exchange server and outlook email, contacts, calendar and tasks work\sync perfectly. This is the most significant advantage to using WM over Palm and I did like my 700p that I used for long time. Also multitasking is a big advantage, I can be on a website or working on a spreadsheet, get or make a phone call or send a quick email and go right back to whatever I was working on. That was the most annoying part of the palm os for me.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    I have used Blackberry OS, Palm OS, an iPhone, and even Symbian OS. WM is the best OS for syncing PIM data with Outlook period. Each of the above have deal breaking issues for me.

Blackberry OS - Doesn't sync calendar categories. You also can't assign a category to a calendar event when you create it on the BB. Categories sync for Tasks and Contacts but not calendar.

Palm OS - Can't sync Tasks OTA. Had a number of problems syncing recurring events OTA.

iPhone - Mutliple issues with recurring events, can't sync tasks or notes.

Symbian - Don't even get me started
    My only flaw so far is with Notes. Often, especially after I've changed the note contents on my PC, I get an 'unresolved items' error from Activesync (not using exchanger server here). It's rather annoying, but it doesn't seem to cause any major issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by nburger View Post
    My only flaw so far is with Notes. Often, especially after I've changed the note contents on my PC, I get an 'unresolved items' error from Activesync (not using exchanger server here). It's rather annoying, but it doesn't seem to cause any major issues.
    I've never had this but I've had issues with notes duplicating every so often. I think it usually happens when I do a restore of my phone so that's not a biggie.
    are you telling us you are not using Microsoft onenote (just kidding) ? I am sure several others on this forum will vouch that it is an amazing program. I kept hearing people talk it up on different forums over the past couple of years and decided to give it a go about 6 months ago. I now understand what all the fuss was about. There is a mobile version that goes on your treo that will sync seemlessly thru activesync. Look at all of the positive reviews on amazon.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    In a word, NO!

I, like others have trouble syncing to two PC's. One of the workarounds is to stop syncing things like tasks.

It does not sync the whole Outlook record. The thing I've noted is colored labels on calendar appointments. There may be others.

And then sometimes ActiveSync takes a while to get connected.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jss87 View Post
    In a word, NO!

I, like others have trouble syncing to two PC's. One of the workarounds is to stop syncing things like tasks.

It does not sync the whole Outlook record. The thing I've noted is colored labels on calendar appointments. There may be others.

And then sometimes ActiveSync takes a while to get connected.

Are you saying your colored labels don't sync? I rely on labels and have had 0 problems syncing them back and forth between Outlook and the mobile device.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    My test was to try to propagate a colored labeled from one pc, thru the treo onto another pc. I just looked at an appointment on the treo and didn't see a place to put a color.

With the treo, I was hoping to stop carrying my Zire 31 which I use to sync outlook on two pc's. It's not going to happen; activesync is not enough.
    The actual 'colors' are PC-specific as far as I can tell but the labels to which the colors are assigned are available from the Treo as well as the computers.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi,

That would be useful, but all I see are categories. I'm looking for the labels like 'travel required', 'phone call', 'personal', etc. On the PC, the text of the label doesn't show in the calendar but the the color does.
    Quote Originally Posted by jss87 View Post
    Hi,

That would be useful, but all I see are categories. I'm looking for the labels like 'travel required', 'phone call', 'personal', etc. On the PC, the text of the label doesn't show in the calendar but the the color does.
    Those are the same things. If you don't have one you need, you can make it. You assign colors to them on the PC.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    ALMOST everything syncs perfectly... ...except NOTES (or MEMOS as they were called on my 650 and 700p). And I'm ripping my hair out b/c I religiously use NOTES and I can't get them onto my 800w!
    I was told that b/c I have Outlook 2007 + Vista, I can't use ActiveSync and must use Windows Mobile Device Center.........

But tasks, calendar, etc., sync no problem.

Can anyone tell me why my NOTES keep failing to sync?
    ..:: ADAM ::..

Clie UX40 --> Clie NZ90 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Pro --> Treo 800w (again)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothermike View Post
    are you telling us you are not using Microsoft onenote (just kidding) ? I am sure several others on this forum will vouch that it is an amazing program.
    Heh, not yet. I have onenote on another computer and I do really like it, but I haven't put it on my work computer yet, so I haven't tried syncing. I'm very curious about the mobile version.

I like the Outlook notes for lists and such, but agree that the syncing problems are a pain.
    Heh, not yet. I have onenote on another computer and I do really like it, but I haven't put it on my work computer yet, so I haven't tried syncing. I'm very curious about the mobile version.

I like the Outlook notes for lists and such, but agree that the syncing problems are a pain.
    I had a lot of issues with the "regular" notes program but syncing with onenote has been seemless on both my 700wx and my 800w. I did have one issue when i upgraded to 800w where I couldn't figure out why my mobile notes weren't showing up on the phone but that was user error. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Those are the same things. If you don't have one you need, you can make it. You assign colors to them on the PC.
    Ok I have a question, I have a Palm Centro, I like Outlook, I can sync every thing to it no problems except I have no idea how to make new catigories to assign for appointments, and contacts, or how to assign colors to them, can you tell me how to do this, and if it will sync this information with my palm?
    Thanks
    Terry
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Ok thanks, actualy I figured it out on my own, so never mind
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Did any of you get your TASKS to sync? Its the only thing that cant sync well even though I have told it to sync it.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Did any of you get your TASKS to sync? Its the only thing that cant sync well even though I have told it to sync it.
    My tasks sync without problem.
    My objection is that the notes don't retain categories, and that they are just dumped in as though they are documents in the documents folder. I tried to create a "Notes" folder on the 800w and put them all in there but I backed out because I was fearful of what Sync would do. There is no destination folder option in Sync to assure that's where they will remain.

I really don't like the hundreds of notes messing up my document file system.

Wayne
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast