1.    #1  
    It is probably something I have done, but my 800w is restarting by itself. Got it 5 hours ago. Charged it. Tried to install ActiveSync and for some reason the manager won't install, though it said it had completed. So I went to the Microsoft site and tried to get the driver for my version of Vista. OK, now that won't install. Also, I didn't realize that I don't have Outlook on the laptop (I have a much older version on the desktop). Does that matter? I synced the Centro on the laptop without it (again, didn't even think about it), so I just assumed I'd be able to do the same with the 800w. Do I have to have it? I only want to be able to get pictures and programs on/off and back the thing up.

Anyway, when I first thought the installation had completed successfully, I tried to connect the phone to the laptop. No dice. So I unplugged it and decided to try to deal with it another day. Well... now the Treo has been restarting randomly. Once when I unlocked the screen and another time when I was reading a text message.

What the H did I do? And... more importantly, what SHOULD I do?

Thanks!
    You should call Sprint customer service.

If you keep having problems, seek to get a replacement with a NEW Treo 800w BEFORE 30 days from your purchase date. Given the issues you're having, either Sprint CS will be able to help you or get you a replacement over the next day or so. If Sprint CS does not suggest anything to help you they should mark your account for a replacement and then you just go to your local Sprint store and swap for a new Treo 800w.
    Have you tried a hard reset?

If you still experience the same thing after a hard reset, exchange it.

FYI, on Vista, you are supposed to use Windows Mobile Device Center not ActiveSync. AS is NOT for Vista.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, Darnell! I got it at Best Buy so I need to look at my receipt for return time. I'm going to give it a day or so and see what happens. I have to call Sprint to have them help me figure out what I can receive email but not send, so I'll mention it to them then.

I have done two hard resets since then and it hasn't wigged out again yet. Aside from EVDO not working for a while (which the last hard reset fixed), anyway.

Thanks again!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Have you tried a hard reset?

If you still experience the same thing after a hard reset, exchange it.

FYI, on Vista, you are supposed to use Windows Mobile Device Center not ActiveSync. AS is NOT for Vista.
    I did two, the first messed up the connection and the second has seemed to do the trick. I've been trying to break it since and haven't had anything go wrong.

I just read something about the Mobile Device Center... I'll have to look into it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Sorry... I'm not paying attention. Windows Mobile Device Center is what I can't get to work on my laptop. I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded it, but when I try to run it, it doesn't do anything. GAH!
    I have both a Vista and XP machine, and my experience is (as with everything else on Visa), my syncing capabilities are 10 times more erratic on Vista. I used to be able to sync on Vista after a soft reset, then I had to also unplug and plug in my USB cord, and now Vista recognizes and syncs without anything - then disconnects within 90 seconds.

At first I thought it was a problem with my Palm, but it still syncs with XP like a pro, every time.

Vista = Crap
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    I have both a Vista and XP machine, and my experience is (as with everything else on Visa), my syncing capabilities are 10 times more erratic on Vista. I used to be able to sync on Vista after a soft reset, then I had to also unplug and plug in my USB cord, and now Vista recognizes and syncs without anything - then disconnects within 90 seconds.

At first I thought it was a problem with my Palm, but it still syncs with XP like a pro, every time.

Vista = Crap
    Huh... I'm right with you about Vista. I was leery about buying a laptop with it in the first place and I hadn't really had any problems with it until this. It looks pretty, but there's too many negatives to keeping it around. I am going to try syncing with my XP machine tonight, so we'll see what happens.

I did want to ask if anyone has had any problems with the screen going dark too soon while using it and/or not waking up when the end button is pressed. It hasn't restarted that I know of, so that's something I guess.

I'm going to give this another night and then I'm probably going to see if an exchange will get me a better one. I never had this many quirks with the 700wx or my Centro.
  8.    #8  
    An update for those that might experience this issue... I ended up taking the original Treo back and exchanged it yesterday. Ended up walking out with a perfect replacement. They couldn't figure out how to fix it.