Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    OK, I realize that the 800w's battery performance is known to be less than stellar. And I've read just about all the forum entries regarding tips to improve battery life. However: If I turn off just about everything ... bluetooth, phone, wireless, GPS (using GPS_Tool) ... and clean out notifications (using PMclean) ... my Treo still burns the battery at a rate of 15% per hour! Is this normal? Could it be a problem with the Treo and/or battery? Could I have a stray piece of shareware that is over-using my system?

I've also tried monitoring the various running tasks (using TaskMgr), sorted by CPU performance, and don't see anything fishy (not that I'd actually know what to look for, other than apps that seem to consume a lot of CPU).

Any ideas?
    That is not normal. Go get another battery.
    Strangely, my battery life had been decent since I got it (10-12 or so hours before needing a recharge with moderate use) but the past few days I've noticed a few things (some I tried experimentally) and its gotten worse (drains after 7 hours)... I have GPS to 911 only, screen 50%, blah blah you know the drill.. If anything, my use has been less during this time...

Three things I've noticed that I hoped to get other users' inputs on:

1 and 2. There are two ways to set your email delivery preferences (maybe they do the same thing, but I'm not sure??), one by going to Menu-Delivery Preferences and the other by going to Options-Select Email Account-Send/Receive Schedule. When I had the box checked in Menu-Delivery preferences it drained my battery A LOT faster versus just having it set via the other method. Both settings were every 30 minutes... I'm not sure what's going on here...

This rapid drainage (yes I said rapid drainage) only seemed to occur when my phone was in an area with really poor reception.

3. Accidentally, I happened to attach my phone to my charger when it was NOT plugged into the outlet, yet the phone still "beeped" and indicates as though it's charging. Even though there's no power source! Does this happen to anyone else's phone? Is there some circuitry problem here?

Any input is appreciated.

Oh, and the bold letters were because I was bored.
    I know this may sound stupid (I'm not a scientist), but i have noticed that when the weather is bad, my battery does not last as long. The only thing i can think of is that the battery is working harder trying to keep a signal. My dad, my wife and I all have treo 800w's and we had some rough weather in central western florida today. We all start at 7am and for the first time ever, all of our phones were dead by 1pm with light useage. I had this happen to me once last week when the weather was bad. If it was just mine, I would think I was crazy (maybe i am), but my wife's and dad's normally last 10-12 hours and all three died within 30 minutes. Mine never makes it 8. I have two spare batteries, so i assume it is not the battery.

One other note, we have poor signal at our office, so i use forced roaming quite a bit. I have noticed that when i force roam, my battery seems to last longer (approx 2 hours). This was what first made me think that the phone was eating battery trying to hold the sprint signal.
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by 800w4me View Post
    Strangely, my battery life had been decent since I got it (10-12 or so hours before needing a recharge with moderate use) but the past few days I've noticed a few things (some I tried experimentally) and its gotten worse (drains after 7 hours)... I have GPS to 911 only, screen 50%, blah blah you know the drill.. If anything, my use has been less during this time...

1 and 2. There are two ways to set your email delivery preferences (maybe they do the same thing, but I'm not sure??), one by going to Menu-Delivery Preferences and the other by going to Options-Select Email Account-Send/Receive Schedule. When I had the box checked in Menu-Delivery preferences it drained my battery A LOT faster versus just having it set via the other method. Both settings were every 30 minutes... I'm not sure what's going on here...
    You know, I vaguely remember this same exact discussion in the 700w/wx forum. I'll see if I can find it, but it had something to do with battery drainage and the delivery preference setting. I use the one in mail configuration. I left the Delivery Preferences alone. It is unchecked and in grey it says 15 in the box.

This rapid drainage (yes I said rapid drainage) only seemed to occur when my phone was in an area with really poor reception.
    If you are in a low coverage area it will eat up more battery. Form what I understand 1x eats more power than EVDO.

3. Accidentally, I happened to attach my phone to my charger when it was NOT plugged into the outlet, yet the phone still "beeped" and indicates as though it's charging. Even though there's no power source! Does this happen to anyone else's phone? Is there some circuitry problem here?
    It might just be the standard usb connect sound and not an indication of charging. Did the red light come on? That would be your indication of charging.

Ok, well you need to play with your today screen some more I think
    Here is one of the threads I was thinking of.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ry+preferences

Note it says the delivery preferences are bugged and was the reason they took it out of WM6, but as we see it's still there.
    hannip

I tried plugging my charger (when not connected to an outlet) to my phone again and the red light did come on my phone, but only for a minute.. so i guess there's a little juice left in those chargers even when you unplug them.

Thanks for posting that link... I guess we should steer clear from the Delivery Preferences box.

now back to editing my today screen...

I agree on the really poor reception, that takes the battery out in a hurry.

As for the email delivery preferences, I can't seem to find the menus you are talking about. I have a corporate account set up on ActiveSync as items arrive and then my Gmail account set up for every 60 minutes. Can someone give a little more detail on how to make sure both these items are set so it isn't checking more often than 5 minutes?
    I've only had my Treo 800W for a week but my battery life has gotten better after the first few days. The first two days I was just about empty after 10 hours and was very concerned and thinking I may have to find another phone. But over the weekend it seemed to do much better and I had over 70% left after 10 hours of moderate use. I don't think I actually turned anything off but have a feeling my phone wasn't going into standby mode. The carrier I am using right now is more of a camera sleeve and my phone would be hot in my pocket, but now it stays cool.
    Since this is the most recent battery thread and I have been meaning to post some battery related stuff, I'll drop it here.

For me, the two things that I can most attribute to battery life is heat and signal strength.

The other day I had passes to see the Clones Wars (pretty cool btw) and security made me take my phone to my car. Here in AZ, the inside of a car at noon in August is about 160 degrees or more. I lost 30%+/- percent in two hours of the phone sitting in my glove box. No calls, no messages, just the normal stuff (which is everything but wifi, I don't turn anything off and check email frequently). In the next hour over lunch in moderate use (just showing it off really), I went from 50% to 30% or so. Hot batteries perform poorly I think.

Also, at my house, which is a black hole for Sprint, I get bad battery life. My phone is constantly searching for a signal. Whereas today, I used my phone more than I ever have while in court (with excellent coverage) and went from about 89% at 10:00am to 40% at 3 or so. Must have sent or received 50 + text messages, dozen emails, voicemails and a lot of vibrating (which I need to ask someone about - I had vibrate turned off everywhere, Sounds and Notifications, PA and TA and yet it kept vibrating), I also have two email accounts, checking at 5 and 15 minutes, weatherpanel with traffic cams updating every 30 minutes (and me replaying the 12 hour loop for giggles because I am still amazed I have that on my phone), and everything but wifi turned on. ....anyway, I used the heck out of the phone and got better battery life than I have doing less in worse conditions.

FWIW....
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    For me, the two things that I can most attribute to battery life is heat and signal strength.

The other day I had passes to see the Clones Wars (pretty cool btw) and security made me take my phone to my car. Here in AZ, the inside of a car at noon in August is about 160 degrees or more. I lost 30%+/- percent in two hours of the phone sitting in my glove box. No calls, no messages, just the normal stuff (which is everything but wifi, I don't turn anything off and check email frequently). In the next hour over lunch in moderate use (just showing it off really), I went from 50% to 30% or so. Hot batteries perform poorly I think.
    Palm agrees with you ... see http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...1)#temperature

where they say "Keep your battery away from direct sunlight and other sources of heat. Temperatures over 120 degrees Farenheit (50 degrees Celsius) can permanently reduce the capacity and life span of any lithium ion battery."
    Quote Originally Posted by Levman View Post
    Palm agrees with you ... see http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...1)#temperature

where they say "Keep your battery away from direct sunlight and other sources of heat. Temperatures over 120 degrees Farenheit (50 degrees Celsius) can permanently reduce the capacity and life span of any lithium ion battery."

I'm going to have to find a cool spot in the car to leave it. Every now and then I have to leave it in the car....it really doesn't like the heat. Screen won't go bright, won't charge. PITA, but I don't really have a choice sometimes. Maybe the trunk is cooler?

Another reason I can't wait for October.
    I recently traded in my 800w for another one due to missing calls and some screen issues I was experiencing.

I can't substantiate the following claim with any scientific evidence, but it seems the new 800w I received is using the battery lot quicker than the first 800w I had. I tested the battery life with the new battery as well as the original battery from the first 800w I had (the guy at the corporate Sprint store let me keep the original battery when I exchanged the phones).

Also, it could be another imagination, but the new 800w I received just doesn't seem "snappy" as the first 800w I had. I noticed just a slight lag or stutter when opening or changing applications, which I don't recall happening on the first 800w. Slight delay or screen freeze when launching new applications or changing applications.

Even more unfortunate, I don't think it resolved my random missed calls. However, I noticed the phone ringer is a bit louder than the first 800w I had.

Tae
    I'm going to have to find a cool spot in the car to leave it. Every now and then I have to leave it in the car....it really doesn't like the heat. Screen won't go bright, won't charge. PITA, but I don't really have a choice sometimes. Maybe the trunk is cooler?

You could probably find one of those small portable coolers. The smallest ones I've seen are the little golf coolers that hold 6 cans (as shown here).
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    You could probably find one of those small portable coolers. The smallest ones I've seen are the little golf coolers that hold 6 cans (as shown here).
    You just reminded me that I have a cooler that can plug into the cig lighter...an ice chest for the Treo....dang I can't wait for October.
    Gilbert! Ha! Great title, sorry just had to say that.
    I never thought i would have to get a chill pad for my phone
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    If you are in a low coverage area it will eat up more battery. Form what I understand 1x eats more power than EVDO.
    Actually EVDO uses more. But 1x takes longer, so there is that arguement (IE: while EVDO uses more power than 1x per second, 1x takes longer so the accumulated power used from the screen being on and the phone being used is actually greater than the power used from EVDO).

In low coverage areas the problem is that your phone will be going in/out of service and constantly looking for a new signal. I watched this happen when I was camping and sat in a spot that barely had a signal. The phone's backlight would turn on every minute or so when the signal dropped, and it started looking for a new one.

Additionally if you have your roaming/network prefs set to "Automatic" it will use more battery when roaming, because the phone will constantly be looking for a Sprint signal.

There is a setting in the registry that won't allow the phone to charge over a certain temperature.
    Quote Originally Posted by gw1754 View Post

As for the email delivery preferences, I can't seem to find the menus you are talking about. I have a corporate account set up on ActiveSync as items arrive and then my Gmail account set up for every 60 minutes. Can someone give a little more detail on how to make sure both these items are set so it isn't checking more often than 5 minutes?
    Read the post below. When in Outlook, choose Menu, then Delivery Preferences and you get an option box with times to pull...DON'T CHECK THIS. In Outlook, choose Menu, Tools, Options, then tap on Email Account you want to edit, hit send/receive schedule and use *this one only* to drive your push/pull schedule.

I don't know how well it works, but realized I had the box checked as well as schedule set up in account edit, so I've unchecked the box.

--Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levman View Post
    OK, I realize that the 800w's battery performance is known to be less than stellar. And I've read just about all the forum entries regarding tips to improve battery life. However: If I turn off just about everything ... bluetooth, phone, wireless, GPS (using GPS_Tool) ... and clean out notifications (using PMclean) ... my Treo still burns the battery at a rate of 15% per hour! Is this normal? Could it be a problem with the Treo and/or battery? Could I have a stray piece of shareware that is over-using my system?

I've also tried monitoring the various running tasks (using TaskMgr), sorted by CPU performance, and don't see anything fishy (not that I'd actually know what to look for, other than apps that seem to consume a lot of CPU).
    I am starting to wonder if this might be application-related. Today, I disconnected my Treo from its power source, turned ON the phone, turned OFF everything else, and have let it sit. So far, after 6.5 hours, the battery has dropped to 50%, which is much more reasonable than what I experienced yesterday. Also, the Treo remains cool to the touch (I forgot to mention in my original post, that the battery was very warm while its capacity was dropping rapidly).

The only difference between yesterday and today, is that I started the day with a soft reset and have not fired up any apps since. Yesterday, I did do a soft reset, but started up various apps at different times during the day (but the battery capacity figures I quoted were from times when I had no apps running). I wonder if one of my apps left something behind when I closed it, that is forcing the CPU to do unnecessary work? I have one app in particular that I suspect ... but won't mention any names until I've tested this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast