Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21  
    Fixing the email settings seems to work. I went through a whole 9 hour workday and got home to 75% with light use. Thanks to those that posted about it. The 800w is now a keeper for me!
  2. #22  
    Sweet.. worked for someone else too.. I'm on a roll of sorts. Just had to jock myself for the second time today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billhelm View Post
    Fixing the email settings seems to work. I went through a whole 9 hour workday and got home to 75% with light use. Thanks to those that posted about it. The 800w is now a keeper for me!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by 800w4me View Post
    Sweet.. worked for someone else too.. I'm on a roll of sorts. Just had to jock myself for the second time today.
    It does indeed work - other folks' reactions to this fix can be found HERE. I think it's a terrific find!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  4. #24  
    Cool! I feel like I should give some sort of victory speech.. First I'd like to thank the likes of Mal, hannip and the rest of the board for all their support in setting up my advice.. my dad for getting me obsessed with expensive toys since my first tandy 1000 decades ago (wow, we're old)...

    jk, but i'm glad lots of people are getting more battery life because of this.



    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    It does indeed work - other folks' reactions to this fix can be found HERE. I think it's a terrific find!
  5. #25  
    I posted this on another battery link, but because I spent some time researching it and it is from a more "official" Microsoft site, I'm going to post it here too. The debate on push vs. pull is big, as I found from Googling it. Here's my other post:

    I've always understood that the push of an Exchange server is easier on the battery than incremental pulling. However, here is what someone from the MSDN network has to say "With any polling architecture, the question is "how often". With mobile devices this answer is a balance between battery life and user requirements. PUSH email is cool, but scheduled sync adds battery life to your device is you don't need updates right away."

    From the URL http://blogs.msdn.com/hegenderfer/ar...rspective.aspx

    So, if I find myself getting unhappy with battery life I may give pull a try. For now though, mine does just fine.
    Last edited by JackG058; 08/19/2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Site is shortcutting my URL
  6. #26  
    Your link seems to be broken...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Your link seems to be broken...
    I fixed it and have verified it. Thanks for letting me know. Somehow when I pasted it in the site shortened it down and didn't covert properly.
  8. Levman's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Levman View Post
    OK, I realize that the 800w's battery performance is known to be less than stellar. And I've read just about all the forum entries regarding tips to improve battery life. However: If I turn off just about everything ... bluetooth, phone, wireless, GPS (using GPS_Tool) ... and clean out notifications (using PMclean) ... my Treo still burns the battery at a rate of 15% per hour! Is this normal? Could it be a problem with the Treo and/or battery? Could I have a stray piece of shareware that is over-using my system?

    I've also tried monitoring the various running tasks (using TaskMgr), sorted by CPU performance, and don't see anything fishy (not that I'd actually know what to look for, other than apps that seem to consume a lot of CPU).

    Any ideas?
    An update: I've discovered that this problem is intermittent. One day, the phone sips the battery at a miserly 1% per hour ... the next, it'll gulp it at 8% - 15% per hour. When it is in "gulp" mode, even a soft reset doesn't do anything to fix it. The only other "pattern" - if you could call it that - which I've discovered is, the two times this happened, I was traveling both times. Each time, after getting back home, the next day the phone went back to "sip" mode.

    I have not been able to determine anything specific in my usage patterns when I'm travelling, though I do tend to use the phone more for web browsing (Opera), GPS (TomTom), and email when I'm traveling. And before you say "oh, you are using the phone more, so of course it is using more battery" ... know that it continues to consume the battery at this astonishing rate even when I stop using all those services and turn off the GPS, phone, bluetooth, etc (such as, while on an airplane) ... and even a soft reset doesn't stop it.

    I am planning on going to a Sprint store this weekend to see if perhaps I have an intermittent battery or hardware problem ... I can't seem to put my finger on any software-related actions that can be causing this.
  9. gomezsrl's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #29  
    Got my 800w on release day. Battery life was a couple of hours. Finally, after 5 weeks, figured out that email, although set to receive every 30 minutes, was constantly polling. Set email to manual a few days ago. Turned phone and bluetooth on at 7 am today. It's now 10 pm and I have 57% left. Bluetooth has been on all day and I've done email 5 or 6 times, manually. I haven't figured out what causes the constant email polling yet, but manual works fine since I'm not on an exchange server. Email auto retrieval is the battery problem.
  10. #30  
    Hi,

    I also tried 30 minutes, and it was a killer; however, polling at 60 minutes works great s I can go through 10 hours and still have 65% consistently.
  11. #31  
    I appear to now be suffering from the intermittent effects. Battery drained itself overnight from about 70% down to 0 last night when not plugged into charger. when I first fixed email settings, it had 10-20 percent drain overnight.

    still have a few days left on the 30 day exchange and thinking strongly about returning the phone and getting something else. if it requires this much effort to manage the battery life, it's not worth it...
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by 800w4me View Post
    Cool! I feel like I should give some sort of victory speech.. First I'd like to thank the likes of Mal, hannip and the rest of the board for all their support in setting up my advice.. my dad for getting me obsessed with expensive toys since my first tandy 1000 decades ago (wow, we're old)...

    jk, but i'm glad lots of people are getting more battery life because of this.
    Haha, I had a couple of different Tandy 1000's. First the SX, which was cool because it came with 2, yes 2, 5 1/4" floppy drives. Then, the TX came with 2 3 1/2" floppy drives. On that one I bought off the internet what was the biggest hard drive of the time, a 32 MB drive. That's not a typo either. Technology had just broken the 20 MB limitation of MS-DOS at the time.

    You sure have brought back memories!
  13. #33  
    Tries a test last night; fully charged at 11:30 pm and left off charger. Woke up at 6:30 - other than receiving 5 emails (set for every 2 hours), it went down to 80%.
    Life is a carnival, believe it or not,
    Life is a carnival, two bits a shot
  14. #34  
    As far as email polling, why not use Direct Push type services/applications. I use Push Effect, which is an app. It will download mail ONLY when you receive new mail. So there's no unnecessary polling for new mail, if you have none. Other people use services, which I don't really like using, because you are relying on their servers, usually requires a subscription, and the database maybe used or even hacked to obtain information, such as email addresses.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    As far as email polling, why not use Direct Push type services/applications. I use Push Effect, which is an app. It will download mail ONLY when you receive new mail. So there's no unnecessary polling for new mail, if you have none. Other people use services, which I don't really like using, because you are relying on their servers, usually requires a subscription, and the database maybe used or even hacked to obtain information, such as email addresses.
    The reason I don't use a push service is simply that I get a ton of emails throughout the day. I'm assuming that my phone would make connections every 5 minutes or so all day long, rather than connecting once per hour and pulling down all my mail - that can't be good for battery life.

    Also, I spend a good amount of my day either (a) in meetings, where I can't really deal with my email, or (b) at my computer, where I can just deal with my email there. If I have free time on the run and can look at email, I can manually send/receive....otherwise, folks can wait.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The reason I don't use a push service is simply that I get a ton of emails throughout the day. I'm assuming that my phone would make connections every 5 minutes or so all day long, rather than connecting once per hour and pulling down all my mail - that can't be good for battery life.

    Also, I spend a good amount of my day either (a) in meetings, where I can't really deal with my email, or (b) at my computer, where I can just deal with my email there. If I have free time on the run and can look at email, I can manually send/receive....otherwise, folks can wait.
    You can set Push Effect to "Sleep" (not download messages) during office hours.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    You can set Push Effect to "Sleep" (not download messages) during office hours.
    I guess I'm just struggling to understand what benefit push mail will give me. During office hours, I either have access to my computer's mail or am likely not able to respond immediately...after office hours, responding immediately is even less important. Since very few hours go by in which I don't get at least a couple of emails, I doubt that push mail will reduce the number of times my email program connects to my server, so I don't think battery life will be enhanced.

    I'm certain that there are benefits, to those who really need immediate emails. It's just not as much a priority to me.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  18. klmsu19's Avatar
    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #38  
    if youre already by a computer there wont be much benefit. i see no reason why you would absolutely have to have push email unless its something you want. if you get a lot of email push can use more battery than pull ever hour. it really depends on usage which is best for each person.

    for me i used to use push email but only get a few emails a day so it paid off getting the 5 or 6 pushed when they came rather than check every hour or 2. Now im getting a lot more so pulling every 2 hours is more efficient than pushing because itd be sending/receiving every 30 min or so.

    really depends on your habits and what you need and how much email you get.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions