1.    #1  
    Can the 800w's GPS be used with for example Google Maps witout the need to pay for the $9.99 per month for unlimited use Sprint Navigation plan (i.e. does Sprint block the use of the GPS if you do not pay for the Nav service)?

Thanks,
    -kg
    Sprint doesn't block 3rd party gps apps.
    Google Maps and Live Search require a data plan (Sprint Vision), since both require downloading of maps. 3rd party apps (Google Maps, Live Search, TomTom, Garmin, etc.) do not require Sprint Nav service to run.
    A 30 second search would have answered your question.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Google Maps and Live Search require a data plan (Sprint Vision), since both require downloading of maps. 3rd party apps (Google Maps, Live Search, TomTom, Garmin, etc.) do not require Sprint Nav service to run.
    I have not been able to download Google Maps..
    Would you be able to direct me to the link for download?

thanks in advance..
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Go to google.com on your mobile and you can download it there.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info.

I have been searching and reading a bunch here but was still not sure if Print blocked the GPS if one did not have the Nav service.

I have a 700wx with a 300 minute voice and $15 a month unlimited data plan and have Google Maps on it, but as is known My Location dos not work.

My 2 years will be up in October, so I am looking to upgrade then to get the GPS support (unless I decide to switch to iPhone...).

-kg
    Quote Originally Posted by kgjevre View Post
    I have a 700wx with a 300 minute voice and $15 a month unlimited data plan and have Google Maps on it, but as is known My Location dos not work.
    Well your 700wx would work fine showing your location, and with no fees to Sprint, if you bought a $30 to $50 external GPS receiver.

The difference with the 800w and GPS is the 800w has an GPS chipset internal to the device.

What may have confused you is that there is currently a much discussed bug in 800w GPS implementation which broke the 800w's advertised "standalone GPS" functionality, meaning you must have a data or voice connection to sprint or a roaming partner for the GPS work. Sprint tech support says they are aware of the advertised feature not working and are trying to develop a fix with Palm.

As a side note, Crazy Eddie is mostly correct in stating you should have a data plan to use google maps, but to be precise, google maps will work with WiFi -- I used it in Stockholm last week.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks again for more good info.

Yeah, I know I could buy an external GPS for the 700wx, but that is then one more thing to carry/keep around, besides I have a standalone Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx that I use for hiking and car navigation.

It is really more that I am ready to upgrade the phone, and built in "stanadalone" GPS would then be nice as a convenience whan I do not have my Garmin along.

And yes, I saw the post about the bug in 800w GPS implementation - I hope thay get it fixed soon.

As you mention that google maps will work with WiFi - I was very surprised when a friend told me that his iPod Touch had working My Location in google maps! WiFi, another reason to upgrade the phone (yes, I know I could buy a plugin card, but don't need it that much).

Great info, thanks!

-kg