Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    So far, i've tried Google Maps & Live Search and they mediocre at best compared to the GPS program on the BB that utilizes the "update from here" function during a route. If you have suggestions or tested other GPS apps that work well on the Treo800w, please post feedback and preferably a link to download.
  2. #2  
    There's a few topics on this already....

    For free ones, I like Live Search. I just don't like not being able to edit the list of destinations. Although a file can be edit, it can be a pain.

    Google Maps is nice and I believe it integrates with Pocket Outlook.

    Both are free and DO NOT have voice turn by turn directions.

    Garmin works well on the 800w and can use the integrated GPS on the 800w. The map redraw is rather slow. It looks like your car is hopping every 500' or so.

    TomTom 6 works well and is allot faster. Unfortunately, the maps are not up to date. TomTom 7 also functions on the 800w, but is not really available, since it was ripped from a European HTC Diamond.

    I'll do a search and post the other related topics here...

    EDIT (Do a search on the word GPS):
    No iGuidance 2009 support (for now)
    TomTom on 800w - works with external GPS receiver
    Any free gps program showing the turns i have to do
    Any other options for gps navigation?
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 08/12/2008 at 06:39 PM.
  3. #3  
    Tt7
  4. #4  
    The Sprint Navigation application (repackaged Telenav) has been working great for me.

    - Voice
    - On the fly updates if a wrong turn is made
    - Traffic conditions
    - Able to "avoid" bad traffic conditions or just avoid a certain part of a route.
    - Personal favorites
    - Able to mark current location as a "favorite"
    - Lookup feature

    All been working well for me.
  5. #5  
    darnell, the telenav is $240 over two years for most people thet is a huge amount more than other better programs like TT and garmin.
  6. #6  
    it comes free with the unlimited package??
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    it comes free with the unlimited package??
    Sprint Navigation is something, so the Everything plan should cover it.
  8. #8  
    Pretty hard to top Garmin's navigation features.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Sprint Navigation application (repackaged Telenav) has been working great for me.

    - Voice
    - On the fly updates if a wrong turn is made
    - Traffic conditions
    - Able to "avoid" bad traffic conditions or just avoid a certain part of a route.
    - Personal favorites
    - Able to mark current location as a "favorite"
    - Lookup feature

    All been working well for me.
    I really love the Sprint Navigation as well.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  10. #10  
    aero - What make TT and Garmin better in your opinion?

    Sprint Navigation comes as part of the Sprint Everything plan and their Voice & Data plans. Given the plan I have with Sprint, for me not to use Sprint Navigation would be an additional expense .

    The navigation device I used the most before Sprint Navigation (before I had a Treo 800w) was the Hertz Neverlost system. I find Sprint Navigation to be way better than the Hertz Neverlost system, given the traffic feature alone.

    I'm not claiming to be a GPS expert, but Sprint Navigation exceeds my expectations.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldinc View Post
    So far, i've tried Google Maps & Live Search and they mediocre at best compared to the GPS program on the BB that utilizes the "update from here" function during a route. If you have suggestions or tested other GPS apps that work well on the Treo800w, please post feedback and preferably a link to download.
    Could you be more...specific?

    There are hundreds of GPS apps for WM--do you want turn-by-turn, geocaching/geologging, friend locatable, device locatable, address location, weather, subway/city...etc.

    Because my favorite app is GPSToday but hell if I know if that's what you want or need...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Could you be more...specific?

    There are hundreds of GPS apps for WM--do you want turn-by-turn, geocaching/geologging, friend locatable, device locatable, address location, weather, subway/city...etc.

    Because my favorite app is GPSToday but hell if I know if that's what you want or need...
    more specifically, the ability to update location with 1 click during a route instead of having to map location and input destination as via live search & google maps. Also, free app is a huge plus.
  13. #13  
    GPSToday is a ridiculously awesome GPS program to be free. And it doesn't seem to suck the life out of your battery as fast as some of the other GPS apps I have tried. Garmin's plug for WM and TomTom both can wear on the battery pretty fast.

    Obviously, if you're wanting turn-by-turn voice instructions, you might just bite the bullet and pay extra for Sprint Navigation if it is not already in your plan. $10/mo is worth it. It is fantastic when you're driving.

    When the extended battery FINALLY comes out, drainage due to using GPS for getting around all day won't be so annoying.
    ...in the game of thrones, you win or you die.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    aero - What make TT and Garmin better in your opinion?

    Sprint Navigation comes as part of the Sprint Everything plan and their Voice & Data plans. Given the plan I have with Sprint, for me not to use Sprint Navigation would be an additional expense .
    Well those of us on a prior plan would be nuts to change to those much more expensive plans you mentioned. I don't have the statistics for here or generally but a lot (probably most) of us don't have a simply everything with GPS incuded. I have one sero which has 500 minutes, 7pm, unlimited data and text for $30 a month which does not include GPS; and one FF plan with the four lines at about the same rate per line and unlimeteddata and text with no GPS either. Lots of us have these kind of deals and a simply everything plan with GPS would cost twice as much.

    So for a portion of us (again probalby most) the difference is paying $240 for Sprint's telenav or a fraction of that for better performing programs.
  15. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Garmin works well on the 800w and can use the integrated GPS on the 800w. The map redraw is rather slow. It looks like your car is hopping every 500' or so.
    I updated to the newest Garmin XT version, and it seem to have cured my ills thus far.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Well those of us on a prior plan would be nuts to change to those much more expensive plans you mentioned. I don't have the statistics for here or generally but a lot (probably most) of us don't have a simply everything with GPS incuded. I have one sero which has 500 minutes, 7pm, unlimited data and text for $30 a month which does not include GPS; and one FF plan with the four lines at about the same rate per line and unlimeteddata and text with no GPS either. Lots of us have these kind of deals and a simply everything plan with GPS would cost twice as much.

    So for a portion of us (again probalby most) the difference is paying $240 for Sprint's telenav or a fraction of that for better performing programs.
    When I switched to the "Talk/Text/Data Plan" for the 5 phones I have on my plan, I was able to put data on all 5 for approximately $200/month total - prior to that, I was paying about that much for my phones, and only 2 had data. Two of us have Sprint Navigation-capable phones. So for me it seemed like a good switch.

    Your message doesn't state how much you pay total, including the 4 other lines, so I have no idea if this is much more expensive or not. (I also never had a sero plan)
    Last edited by Bujin; 08/13/2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Well those of us on a prior plan would be nuts to change to those much more expensive plans you mentioned.
    I think for you it would be "nuts" to change because of your view of it. That was not the case for me, who desired EVDO Rev. A speed and other features not accessible with my old plan. Plus I need way more minutes than you a month. For me, there was no point moving from my old Treo 650 if I was not going to take full advantage of a new data plan. But your needs are not my needs and vice versa.

    I don't have a "Simply Everything" Plan, but a Voice and Data plan, which provides an allotment of minutes (way more minutes than you need, so it would not benefit you), plus unlimited use of all the data features provided in the Sprint Everything Plan. It cost a little more than my old plan, about 30% more, but I didn't expect more for the same price.

    Now that you've explained why you don't want Sprint Navigation and I have no desire to see you with something you don't want. Since you say other programs perform "better", can you please explain exactly how they perform better than Sprint Navigation/Telenav? Although you're opposed to Sprint Navigation, I'm not opposed to any GPS program and if one is better I'd like to hear about it. I guess you've had an opportunity to play with Sprint Navigation, to see and compare why you feel other programs are better. Do you mind sharing any details?
  18. #18  
    What is the best gps app for 1) weather and 2) geocaching ? im not noncerned with drain effects on battery or cost (have $69.99 simply everything w/sprint)
  19. #19  
    I'm finding the "Gas by Cheapest Price" feature in Spring Navigation to be very nice .
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by terrafox72 View Post
    What is the best gps app for 1) weather and 2) geocaching ? im not noncerned with drain effects on battery or cost (have $69.99 simply everything w/sprint)
    As far as weather, I believe Live Search would offer that.

    For Geocaching, I've tried Tracky Pro, but UI seems unpleasing. GPS Tuner has a nicer interface.

    Both have a feature that allows anyone to see where you are, via their website. Tracky Pro allows several users to see you, while GPS Tuner only allows 1, if I remember correctly. This isn't useful if you have a jealous significant other.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions