1.    #1  
    A week or so ago I begged anyone for a program that would assign a hard button to automatically open messaging and pre-address a text message to my email address (because I send a dozen or more reminders to myself a day). I haven't heard anything or seen much in the line of things that work.

I could not find a one-button solution.

What I did find--when searching beyond the scope of the 800w was a great program, WM5NewMenu.

When launched, on the screen appears a user-designed menu that can quickly launch items of user-creation, including 'new' items like 'new text message to <contact>'.

I have, for example, an item to email myself, and ones that open my Excel mileage log, myspace and facebook URLs, and a favorite video of mine that opens up in TCPMP. I assigned a double-click of the calendar button (through AE Buttons Plus) to call up the menu, and then a quick 5-way selects and executes.

I have experienced NO problems with this. It is VERY customizable, albeit with a slight learning curve. It allows for command-line execution of programs, and has built-in features that are quite ample!

I HIGHLY recommend this.

From the creator's site:

http://www.saman-cz.com/ppc/index.html

WM5NewMenu is the small app for Windows Mobile 5 ( and later), originally created to substitute "New menu" that was presented on the previous versions of Windows Mobile (PocketPC 2002, 2003). It consists of two parts: the menu launcher and the settings applet.

Basically, it is the configurable app launcher, with the several preconfigured actions to create new items, such as a SMS, MMS, a word document, a note, etc. These preconfigured actions were chosen to do same things as did the actions from original "New menu".

As the app is fully configurable, new items/actions can be added via simple, intuitive, GUI (see screenshots). The items can be disabled or removed, their order can be changed.

Additionally, WM5NewMenu supports original "New menu" items. Some are by default in system, as they were before, but in Windows Mobile 5 they are not used. Default actions which come with WM5NewMenu do the same thing. But 3rd party application can add own "New menu" extension and therefore can be useful to have possibility to use such extension.

* Basic features: - Lauching by selectable today soft key
    * - Launching by any hardware button
    * - Simple configuration
    * - Support for original "New" items
    * - Cascading menus, up to 6 levels
    * - Up to 31 items in one level
    * - Separators
    * - Quick actions (Call, SMS)
    * - Configurable positioning
    * - Landscape support
    I also send lots of notes to myself during the day.
    I found a program called Note2Self and it is awesome especially when driving.
  3.    #3  
    I like the idea of note2self, but it's audio.

I can't check the audio notes so easily from my email while mobile. Even when I'm not mobile, it's not always easy and/or private to listen to audio clips.

I -can- read my email, and I can also see the thread of messages to myself. I'm just looking for a quicker alternative to Messaging->New->Me->down arrow>message, or Messaging->find thread->message.

The wm5newmenu program has as little as two clicks (launch and select) for this.
  4.    #4  
    After sending in a donation to the author of the program, and asking a question, I got a solution to my initial quandry--single button press to invoke a new text message to my email. It doesn't use his program.

I now associate the following to a button via AE Buttons Plus:

tmail.exe -service "SMS" -to "email@gmail.com"

Works perfectly!

I will still be using his fancy menu though!

Here is the message I received from him that made it work. I do recall seeing a bit of this in other places, but it only clicked tonight.

"
    Hi,
    if you just want to open the compose message form you can do it directly without using WM5NewMenu.
    The command-line syntax is: tmail.exe -service "<account-name>" -to "<recipient>" [-subject "<subject>" -body "<text>"], where:
    - <account name> is the name of messaging account - e.g. SMS, Gmail
    - <recipient> - either a phone number in case of text message or an email address
    - <subject>, optional, in case of email a subject of message
    - <text>, optional, body of message
    Note, that all command line option values must be enclosed in quotation marks. In some cases, the -service option must be replaced by -transport
    "
    first i use the built in POutlook SMS and i use Schap's Advanced Configuration Tool to assign option + msg to start a new sms... much faster IMO!
  6.    #6  
    Schap's Advanced Configuration Tool looks amazing.

Whole new can of worms, opened and spilled out, preventing sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by hocus703 View Post
    After sending in a donation to the author of the program, and asking a question, I got a solution to my initial quandry--single button press to invoke a new text message to my email. It doesn't use his program.

I now associate the following to a button via AE Buttons Plus:

tmail.exe -service "SMS" -to "email@gmail.com"

Works perfectly!

I will still be using his fancy menu though!

Here is the message I received from him that made it work. I do recall seeing a bit of this in other places, but it only clicked tonight.

"
    Hi,
    if you just want to open the compose message form you can do it directly without using WM5NewMenu.
    The command-line syntax is: tmail.exe -service "<account-name>" -to "<recipient>" [-subject "<subject>" -body "<text>"], where:
    - <account name> is the name of messaging account - e.g. SMS, Gmail
    - <recipient> - either a phone number in case of text message or an email address
    - <subject>, optional, in case of email a subject of message
    - <text>, optional, body of message
    Note, that all command line option values must be enclosed in quotation marks. In some cases, the -service option must be replaced by -transport
    "
    or that too..lol

yeh i just hate you can't scroll down in some of the menus due to the screen size
    I posted this earlier, sounds like we are on the same page.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=169024

I tested this also and found AE Button Plus has more options for button settings and was more stable. AEB Plus also is better for one-handed use.
  11.    #11  
    If only there were some sort of command-line compendium that we could use for programs like AE Buttons Plus.

(Wow, for some reason I just flashed back to the CPM and MS-DOS days of Zork and INFOCOM games. Is that what words like compendium can do?)
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I like the idea of note2self, but it's audio.

I can't check the audio notes so easily from my email while mobile.
    I have been using Jott for about a year. You configure a speed dial for it's number. When it answers with "Who do you want to jott?" say "me" and then say your item, like Get some milk on the way home." I have it configured to send that to my Gmail account. Here's the good part. It transcribes your item into a text email with what you said as the subject.
  13.    #13  
    I do use Jott when it's an evening or weekend, and I'm not driving a loud car or at a concert.

Very nice, very accurate, very free. Part human, part machine.

If I used it during minute-consuming time it'd eat half or more of my minutes!