1.    #1  
    anyone knows how to change system font on treo 800w?thnx
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    There are alternative fonts available as cab files, do a search.

My favorite used to be Segoe UI but due to the size of the screen, a lot of settings/dialog boxes are pushed off screen with no way to scroll to them.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    There are alternative fonts available as cab files, do a search.

My favorite used to be Segoe UI but due to the size of the screen, a lot of settings/dialog boxes are pushed off screen with no way to scroll to them.
    so, anything that works nicely on the 800 with bigger fonts then the original?
    I too have tried some of the CAB files for font replacements. I didn't like them because they caused problems with the dialog box metrics, etc.

I also tried using RealVGA and liked the smaller font sizes, but not all the other problems that came with it. Replacing the fonts gave me most of the benefit of RealVGA and none of the pains.

I ended up replacing the system fonts with something similar to Swiss Condensed (which is actually smaller than Tahoma, but bigger than Segoe UI). I find this to be the best combination for me.

Note: You must use a 3rd party file explorer (e.g. Resco or freeware GSFinder) to do this. The built in File Explorer won't work.

Installation instructions: Simply copy the two files inside to your phone's \windows directory and then soft reboot. Your Treo 800w will use these two RAM font files instead of the ROM font files.

Uninstallation instructions: Rename the tahoma.ttf and tahomabd.ttf files in your \windows directory to tahoma.txt and tahomabd.txt. Soft reboot and then delete those two renamed files. The ROM font files will return to active use.

Attached are some screen copies from my phone with these better fonts.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (31.5 KB, 31 views)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bhodgins; 08/11/2008 at 04:37 PM.
    More pics #2
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (24.8 KB, 36 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (18.7 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (19.1 KB, 27 views)
    More pics #3
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (23.9 KB, 32 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (32.2 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.JPG (25.7 KB, 25 views)
    A bit more about fonts - a freeware application called "Font On Storage" at http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...tOnStorage.zip allows you to store fonts on the card. The executable (located in the ARM subfolder of the zip file) goes in the card folder where the fonts are stored. This requires creating a short cut and then pasting that short cut in the START folder in main memory of the device. I placed the short cut in the Office Mobile folder. In order to obtain the new fonts, you just gotta start the Font On Storage application first and then open the application you are going to use the new fonts in. You will be prompted with a caution each time Font On Storage is started. A soft reset may be required after the fonts are installed on the card.

Bunches of fonts with no memory to speak of.
    Last edited by bclinger; 08/13/2008 at 03:13 PM.