Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    the other day I picked up a used htc mogul, and had a 700Wx.

I switched the esn over to the mogul the other day and noticed something neat.

I can connect to the internet with both phones, how ever the treo can not make calls.

I am able to view different sites on both phones at the same time.

so now to my question...

will sprint be able to detect this?
    and if so, is there something wrong with it?
    Last edited by airibis; 08/14/2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Not to bring this back to the top

But I really would like to know if it's ok to browse the net on both phones, or would this go against my contract.

I have heard the term cloning before, and I know thats considered a big "no no".. so is this cloning? or just a rare case they forgot to shut the vision off on my old phone.
    If you have the same ESN and phone number on both phones and are actively using them, then not only are you breaking all sorts of terms of service agreements but you're likely breaking some federal laws.

Doubtful that anyone will prosecute you for one phone, but at the very least you're running a high risk of having your account terminated.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you have the same ESN and phone number on both phones and are actively using them, then not only are you breaking all sorts of terms of service agreements but you're likely breaking some federal laws.

Doubtful that anyone will prosecute you for one phone, but at the very least you're running a high risk of having your account terminated.

Thank you very much for responding.

however looking at the phones specs, they are actually using two different ESN's

however, the Current Username (@sprintpcs.com) is exactly the same.

also the phone numbers on both the same.

and i noticed I can only connect to my treos internet when I am by my Mogul
    The phone numbers and usernames will be the same.

The ESN will be different (normally). It makes no sense that you can surf based on where you're standing (near your mogul or not). Are you sure you're not surfing through your PC (via Activesync)?
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The phone numbers and usernames will be the same.

The ESN will be different (normally). It makes no sense that you can surf based on where you're standing (near your mogul or not). Are you sure you're not surfing through your PC (via Activesync)?
    positive, no bluetooth on my pc, and neither phone was plugged in.

the wifi is turned off on the mogul, and yet both phones can connect.

i tested out to see if i could connect to the net on my (no longer in service) treo.. away from my mogul, and I could. (must have been a connection issue before when i tried it)

so two different esn numbers, same username...

so now my question becomes, is this still illegal?

should I fear my contract being terminated?
    Probably not illegal but yes, still breaking contract agreements. That is if you're truely using the phone via 1X or EVDO. If you're using it via a wifi card or activesynch, then perfectly fine.
    I'm in Canada so my example is for Canada, not sure about USA

You can't connect 2 EVDO with same ESN at the same time with the same EVDO PN. ie: You can't connect two telus PN (EVDO PRL) at the same time, the other connection will drop. To connect two data/phone with same esn, have one connect to Bell EVDO, and the other connect to Telus EVDO.

Since there is no roaming charges for data, you can combine two data cards to have about 3mbps d/l speed. If you combine four data cards (2 evdo, 2 1x) or even more if you have more networks.

---

As to Voice calls, you can have both phone dial out without disconnecting each other, same thing, have one roam on Bell, and the other on Telus. Now receiving calls is different. sometimes both will ring, sometimes none will ring
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    I'm in Canada so my example is for Canada, not sure about USA

You can't connect 2 EVDO with same ESN at the same time with the same EVDO PN. ie: You can't connect two telus PN (EVDO PRL) at the same time, the other connection will drop. To connect two data/phone with same esn, have one connect to Bell EVDO, and the other connect to Telus EVDO.

Since there is no roaming charges for data, you can combine two data cards to have about 3mbps d/l speed. If you combine four data cards (2 evdo, 2 1x) or even more if you have more networks.

---

As to Voice calls, you can have both phone dial out without disconnecting each other, same thing, have one roam on Bell, and the other on Telus. Now receiving calls is different. sometimes both will ring, sometimes none will ring

Thanks

I didnt think about the whole possibility of roaming over to the verizon network on my treo making it able to connect to the net.

as i said before though, it's not the same ESN (found that out)

rather i deactivated my Treo on my account, so I could activate and use my Mogul for awhile. yet they both connect to the net.

I seen a post before about this (post not a thread) but it's now near impossible to search up.