1.    #1  
    Ok, after looking into this phantom limit on an SDHC card over 4 megs I "think" I may have found the issue - and or solution. (problem is I can't test it - at least yet).

Background:

SD cards were FAT16 - that limited them to 2Gb and 512 entries into the F.A.T.
    HCSD-SDHC cards are FAT32 and that is the first step in breaking down the 2Gb card limit - with FAT32 they can go to 127+G.
    However, that does NOT get rid of the max file size limit of 4Gb.

Now, installing the SDHC cab file allows you to access the larger cards, and by partitioning the card (larger than 4Gb) into 4Gb partitions you can access the 'whole' card.
    The strange part is you can see ALL 8GB's but it can only deal with 4GB at a time by breaking it into 'multiple' devices.

I'm guessing the reason behind this is that the Palm WinCE (5.0 or 6.0) OS looks at the SC device like a 'virtual file' (file mounted device).

IF this is true there maybe a way to 'fix' this, but only under certain conditions.

Solution(?):
    WinCE 6.0 uses or 'can' use an "exFAT" file system (seems that it can be turned off by device manufacturers).
    Only Windows Vista SP1* or greater can use an exFAT file system.
    *WindowsXP does not come with the files for exFAT (but they can be forced to install).

Lab Rat needed:
    So.....
    Someone out there can try this, if they feel like it?
    • Using Windows Vista - Format any 4G+ card into exFAT.
    • (don't partition it, leave it at 8Gb but formatted in exFAT)
    • Put the card into your WinCE 6.0 (modified) Treo.
    • (I can't find that WinCE 5.0 is exFAT compatible).
    • See if it can read more than 4G of space

Post the results here (be sure and give your ROM load)
    Flash to my custom WM6.0 ROM and all problems with SDHC cards are solved.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Flash to my custom WM6.0 ROM and all problems with SDHC cards are solved.

Does that rom open up all 8Gb (or more) on the cards? My understanding is that it didn't see more than 4gb still ?

(plan on doing that flash anyway - just need my new data cable for backup - old one grew legs)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charon9 View Post
    Does that rom open up all 8Gb (or more) on the cards? My understanding is that it didn't see more than 4gb still ?

(plan on doing that flash anyway - just need my new data cable for backup - old one grew legs)
    You will get all 8GB. You can also flash to my stripped one which has no third party apps and includes SDHC support up to 8GB.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    You will get all 8GB. You can also flash to my stripped one which has no third party apps and includes SDHC support up to 8GB.
    After 27 pages of scanning I gave up on looking for your stripped rom - will see if I can grab Ebags stripped 6.0 and do the ver()izon strip on it.

Need to find that post on here that was talking about the sdhc problem still being there (reason for this post) - tired and too much work to do....

WTB: spare time from anyone, need extra here.
  6.    #7  
    LoL - just as I was about to leave the board (and work )

THanks Larry.

Edit: that for a verizon or sprint phone ?

See the link now for verizon quote -- guessing verizon then - if it messes up my radio I'm gonna call you can complain -- Oh, wait /grin