Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hello. I had a Palm Treo 755p for 2 weeks and traded it in for the Palm 800w based on the excellent feedback from this forum. However, I am having one significant issue:
    With the 755p, I could check and receive email in less than 10 seconds but it seems that with the 800w it can take up to 10 minutes to do the same exercise. Is there something wrong with the email feature on the 800w or is there something I can do to change it? I have had both Palm and Sprint on the phone and both are pretty much useless. The one benefit I do get with the 800w is that I can actually see the pictures, etc in the emails once they actually do download.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Its Comcast and Windows devices. I have had the same issues with all my WM phones (see sig.). With Blackberry's it obviously instant so it is not an issue . It is nothing your doing wrong.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thank you for the input. I will have to think about this now. I had hoped to get faster emails, not MUCH SLOWER ones. Darn! I was liking the fact I could be on a phone call, text someone else, and still do other things too.
    You still can do all that it just might take a few extra minutes to retrieve email. You can set the Comcast email as pushmail. There are several free pushmail systems out there. SEVEN is one, mail2web is another. This way when an email is sent it will be pushed to your devices vs. now where the phone has to retrieve it every so often. Look into this.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    This seems to be a problem on the 800... I do work for Comcast and should be able to help you. First are you using the mail client that was built into the 800?
    Last edited by gr2gztch; 08/10/2008 at 11:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    maybe I shouldn't post when I am talking to customers, because I was completely off...
    Last edited by gr2gztch; 08/10/2008 at 11:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegoblue View Post
    Hello. I had a Palm Treo 755p for 2 weeks and traded it in for the Palm 800w based on the excellent feedback from this forum. However, I am having one significant issue:
    With the 755p, I could check and receive email in less than 10 seconds but it seems that with the 800w it can take up to 10 minutes to do the same exercise. Is there something wrong with the email feature on the 800w or is there something I can do to change it? I have had both Palm and Sprint on the phone and both are pretty much useless. The one benefit I do get with the 800w is that I can actually see the pictures, etc in the emails once they actually do download.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    How did you set up email? Auto config?

During the delay- what is the little dialogue box saying in the bottom left of the screen?

There is no reason why this should be happening.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Guys,
    Yes, I just set up my email with the auto config that was on the 800w out of the box. I don't even know what email system the 800w uses to be honest (sorry).

It seems to be a little faster this evening. I just sent myself 3 test emails and here is what happened:

It said "LOGGING ON" for around 2 minutes
    Than it said "LOOKING FOR CHANGES" for another 2 minutes or so.

I guess that is better than the 10 minutes I was experiencing earlier today.

1. From the time you hit 'send/receive' what is the typical amount of time before all messages come into the inbox?

May I ask a couple more stupid questions?

2. If I have several emails in my inbox (lets say like when I loaded my inbox and I had over 300), is there a way to SELECT ALL and than mark them as READ? I had to read each and every one which took forever.

3. In emails that have pictures, it always says "internet pictures blocked" so I have to hit that and then "download pictures" too. Is there a way to set it up where that is done automatically? I couldn't find anything.

Thanks again.
    Michael
    I have no experience with the 800, but this was an issue with the 700wx as well. There was a registry hack that sped things up that you might want to try. See the discussion here, and post #6 in particular.

Something to try . . .
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks Matthew. I am a rookie on this type of stuff and that is way over my head.
    Mine is the same, it takes about 2 to retrieve email from Comcast. It's no big deal to me, but yes a little strange....
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
    Mine is the same, it takes about 2 to retrieve email from Comcast. It's no big deal to me, but yes a little strange....
    Guys, this is a well known and well documented issue. It's not specific to the 800W at all, it's ALL winmob devices. There's a registry change that will fix this permanently and will allow your e-mail to check and pull in your e-mail nearly instantly. Go here for step by step instructions...

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/cms/blogs..._that_i_can__1
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    Guys, this is a well known and well documented issue. It's not specific to the 800W at all, it's ALL winmob devices. There's a registry change that will fix this permanently and will allow your e-mail to check and pull in your e-mail nearly instantly. Go here for step by step instructions...

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/cms/blogs..._that_i_can__1
    Good post.

Also keep in mind that if you use POP instead of IMAP than the whole "looking for changes" step is skipped. Of course mail marked read on the server will not show read when it downloads to your device but it is much faster.

I find it highly annoying that some blackberry users are still hanging around here and offering terrible advice that just confuses and mis-directs people.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2