Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I have been a loyal Treo user for years. I am fairly dissatisfied with my 750 and WM 6. With many new phones out now and my contract being up I am looking for alternatives. I have been given a BB 8310 curve. It is an AT&T GSM so I can easily swap in my sim card. I have an unlimited data plan on my account.
    I would like to try the BB out for a couple of weeks.
    Can anyone tell me how to set up POP 3 email clients on this?
    Will I need to pay more just to activate this on the BB to try it out?
    What about browsers?
    I can't seem to set up emails without a BB account.
    http://crackberry.com/

Good luck.

I tried a BB once, hated the interface.

If you ONLY care about email, you'll love it.
    If you want email or internet on a Blackberry, you need a Blackberry Data Plan. Your old smart phone plan won't help you at all.

As for POP3 email clients, there is a "setup email" icon on the Blackberry that walks you through the settings and finds most of what you need automatically.

You can get Opera Mini on Blackberrys, but to download it you need a BB data plan. I never liked Opera, but I kept it around for those sites that just don't like the Blackberry browser. Online banking sites sometimes will let you in via Opera but not the BB browser.

I'm a Blackberry fan at heart. I'm waiting for the Bold to be released by AT&T and then I'm most likely jumping on it. One thing the Treos do so much better than the BB is one-handed use. That touch screen is perfect for that while the roller ball on new Blackberrys isn't as good.

You'll find that, with mobile phones, there is the right way, the wrong way, and the Blackberry way. Once you get used to the little differences Blackberry is quite a well designed platform. Business users are still the primary focus but recent models designed for the consumer have made big strides.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses!
    Looks like AT&T will not let me play with my recently acquired BB unless I pick up the BB data plan.
    Here in lies the problem.
    I have been grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan for $19.99 ever since I had my Treo 600. 1500 text or MMS included.
    Death Star desperately wants me out of this plan but can't do anything until I make a switch.
    Trying the BB data plan for a short time would do that and I would not be able to go back to that pricing.
    I have been patiently waiting for a new alternative and hoped the 3G iPhone was it. I had already accepted the fact if I wanted the iPhone I had to say goodbye to my great deal, but without cut and paste and tethering capability, this phone wasn't it.
    I guess I'll have to still wait for something new