Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    I've solved the mystery of why I'm getting missed calls and delayed sms messages.

    It seems my 800w (old one, haven't tested the new one yet) cannot receive calls or get sms messages when it is near my laptop. It appears that whatever RF my laptop is generating is jamming the cell radio on the 800w. I've tested this over and over again and it is consistent. When I have my phone 2 feet away from the laptop or more it works great. Any closer and it starts to have problems.

    Poor shielding? My 700wx does not have this problem. Others experience the same thing?
  2. xdalaw's Avatar
    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    #2  
    Interesting. I have mine about a foot and a half away from my notebook, attached via USB, and I was getting text messages without a problem. (My notebook is a Dell Vostro 1500, FWIW.)
    Just in case, I did move it a few more inches away.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  3. #3  
    Wow, that is interesting, I have mine sitting a few inch's from my laptop, it pretty much stays there and I get all my calls and txt's..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  4. #4  
    I'm pretty sure it's not possible for this to be the cause. The CDMA network doesn't operate on the same frequencies as plain RF so any unshielded RF signals couldn't (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $affect$ $your$ $cell$ $phone$ $signal$.

    Having said that, it may be possible it could affect the circuitry but I would imagine you would be having quite a bad experience with the phone not including missing calls.
  5. #5  
    Are you plugged into the laptop's USB when this happens?
  6. #6  
    I finally witnessed (at least one occasion) why I was missing calls. My ringer wasn't going off. I saw the call come up on the screen, but the ringer wasn't sounding off even though I had it on the highest volume setting.

    Ironically, this happened while I was on call with the Sprint Tech Support. I think this is somehow related to a known issue acknowledged by Microsoft in regards to the phone alarm not sounding off occasionally. I've had the phone alarm not going off even though when I had the ringer on full volume. This has been going on since the Compaq Ipaq 3000 series for me and I experienced the same issue with the 800w as well.

    Tae
  7. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #7  
    Could it be that you paired your phone with your laptop and using A2DP service on your laptop for sound, but have the speakers of your laptop off?
  8.    #8  
    No, the radio is whacked on my original 800w. It seems there are times when I can't receive any phone calls or text messages even though the signal is > 80%. It was consistently doing this when my phone was close to my laptop the other day. Today it doesn't matter where the phone is, it will not respond to an incoming call and the caller goes straight to voicemail. I just got my new 800w and will let you know if it's better.
  9.    #9  
    New phone not missing a beat. Getting every call so far. Crossing fingers...

    The earpiece quality is much better also.
  10. aixguru's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    The earpiece quality is much better also.
    How's the speaker phone? And I've just got to ask.....what's the color of the USB plug? White or black?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    How's the speaker phone? And I've just got to ask.....what's the color of the USB plug? White or black?
    speaker phone is better too. I can turn it up all the way and only hear a crackle every once in a while. Wi-Fi doesn't affect it either.

    The plug is white just like my other one.
  12.    #12  
    Ok, so the new phone is now missing calls. I'm not sure what's causing it. I thought it might be software that I've installed so I hard reset and tested again. It still happens. It seems that it works fine until I make a data connection, then sometime after that it starts missing calls again for a period of time or until I soft reset. This is with 0 installed programs.

    I wish I could create a step by step procedure that would recreate it every time, but I just haven't found it yet.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Ok, so the new phone is now missing calls. I'm not sure what's causing it. I thought it might be software that I've installed so I hard reset and tested again. It still happens. It seems that it works fine until I make a data connection, then sometime after that it starts missing calls again for a period of time or until I soft reset. This is with 0 installed programs.

    I wish I could create a step by step procedure that would recreate it every time, but I just haven't found it yet.
    That sucks hannip , I'm sorry to hear of your 800w missing call issue.
    I hope you find the fix my friend.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    That sucks hannip , I'm sorry to hear of your 800w missing call issue.
    I hope you find the fix my friend.
    Thanks for the sympathy Sling. I know you are waiting and hoping I'll get frustrated and get a BB so you can start getting me to write Java spps for it. lol
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Ok, so the new phone is now missing calls. I'm not sure what's causing it. I thought it might be software that I've installed so I hard reset and tested again. It still happens. It seems that it works fine until I make a data connection, then sometime after that it starts missing calls again for a period of time or until I soft reset. This is with 0 installed programs.

    I wish I could create a step by step procedure that would recreate it every time, but I just haven't found it yet.
    Hannip...do u have the rev a check box checked? The other day i was having issues receiving calls and txts messages..i unchecked that and performed a soft reset and i started getting all my txt msgs from earlier...weird...then i waited about another 10min or so and i enabled the option back and everything was back to normal.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Thanks for the sympathy Sling. I know you are waiting and hoping I'll get frustrated and get a BB so you can start getting me to write Java spps for it. lol
    hehehe
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    Hannip...do u have the rev a check box checked? The other day i was having issues receiving calls and txts messages..i unchecked that and performed a soft reset and i started getting all my txt msgs from earlier...weird...then i waited about another 10min or so and i enabled the option back and everything was back to normal.
    I haven't touched the Rev A on the new phone due to the problem reports. My first phone had the issues with or without Rev A checked.

    I've just made and received about 30 calls now without a problem. It just comes and goes.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I haven't touched the Rev A on the new phone due to the problem reports. My first phone had the issues with or without Rev A checked.

    I've just made and received about 30 calls now without a problem. It just comes and goes.
    weird......I started experiencing the problem after I performed my first hard reset....Phone is working like a charm now though.

Posting Permissions