Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but imap4 doesn't work at all (send or receive) with my provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuehmann View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but imap4 doesn't work at all (send or receive) with my provider.
    Considering that you are still using SMTP to send, and you cant do that- I would think that something else is wrong. AKA nothing has changed on the send side.

I have tried configuring 3 different accounts, even my old pop.sprintpcs.com account with no issues.

Who is your email provider?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    My provider is godaddy.com. They don't support IMAP for receiving. I agree with what you're saying about smtp for send - it seems like it should work.

When the treo attempts to Send/Receive, it tries to Receive first. When the Receive fails, I don't see any status messages showing that it ever attempts to Send.
    I would like to share my experience using Pocket Outlook on a Treo.
    My email provider is everyone.net & I am using IMAP protocol.
    On the account options (From inside the Account, Menu->Tools->Options, Message tabs I check "Keep copies of sent items in Sent folder)
    However, in the everyone.net account, mail sent from the Treo is inside folder "Sent Items", not folder "Sent" as usual.
    I think this may be the reason why some of us have trouble sending mail.

PS: I don't have any trouble at all, just the usual connection time out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuehmann View Post
    My provider is godaddy.com. They don't support IMAP for receiving. I agree with what you're saying about smtp for send - it seems like it should work.

When the treo attempts to Send/Receive, it tries to Receive first. When the Receive fails, I don't see any status messages showing that it ever attempts to Send.

pop.sprintpcs.com doesnt support imap either, but the pop settings work.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    I would like to share my experience using Pocket Outlook on a Treo.
    My email provider is everyone.net & I am using IMAP protocol.
    On the account options (From inside the Account, Menu->Tools->Options, Message tabs I check "Keep copies of sent items in Sent folder)
    However, in the everyone.net account, mail sent from the Treo is inside folder "Sent Items", not folder "Sent" as usual.
    I think this may be the reason why some of us have trouble sending mail.

PS: I don't have any trouble at all, just the usual connection time out.
    Nice! We are essentially doing the same thing. I will add back syncing on that folder and see if it still works for me.
    I, too, am unable to send email from my 800w although I receive email fine. I get the same error message. GoDaddy has my email account and is POP3 and SMTP. It was working but suddenly quit a couple weeks ago. GoDaddy says it is a Treo problem.
    I have the 'keep sent email in sent file' option checked and I still cannot send an email.
    I'm ready to try deleting the email account from the Treo. How do I do that?
    This is a known bug with Windows Mobile 6.1. Allegedly, Microsoft is working on a fix. See this blog where someone claims that Microsoft is working on it.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I have this issue on a recurrent, irregular basis. I have done everything suggested, including deleting and rebuilding the account. as I was reading this thread, I had the problem going on, I manually did a send/receive and it worked fine. So, at leat for me, yes, there is an issue, but it seems like it's not with windows mobile, as suggested, because it does 'fix' itself
    Unless you are tied in to using Pocket Outlook, there are other solutions that do work.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Unless you are tied in to using Pocket Outlook, there are other solutions that do work.
    You keep on asking people to use FlexMail, which is an additional $30 on top of malfunctioning equipment. We want the product that we already paid for to work properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    I have this issue on a recurrent, irregular basis. I have done everything suggested, including deleting and rebuilding the account. as I was reading this thread, I had the problem going on, I manually did a send/receive and it worked fine. So, at leat for me, yes, there is an issue, but it seems like it's not with windows mobile, as suggested, because it does 'fix' itself
    Actually, that blog has an explanation from Microsoft about the bug and why it occurs sporadically and "fixes" when you recreate the account. I think the gist of it is that if there is one smtp failure, all future smtp attempts will fail until you recreate the account. I'll post it here although I don't completely understand it myself. Here's a link to the blog again for anyone interested in reading through the entire post and comments.

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/...-1-smtp-issues

----pasted----

In the mean time, here is a bit more about the cause: This was a horribly unfortunate side-effect of adding a feature to 6.1 designed to help ensure users can send mail on Operator networks that do IP filtering and block sending e-mail via an SMTP server that is not on their network. We introduced an OEM/Operator registry key override in 6.1 that specifies a backup SMTP server. Business logic was added that attempts to use the backup SMTP server address when the user-specified SMTP server address fails. If the backup server address succeeds, it becomes the new default. The bug occurs when the OEM-specified registry key is empty and when sending via the user-specified SMTP address fails for any reason at any time. Once the device gets in this state, SMTP fails without recovery for the account. (Although, Matt, you said you were able to send again by flipping SSL/Outgoing authentication settings. We didn’t see that.) This explains why users hit the bug only sporadically, and why recreating the account solves the problem (if only temporarily – until the next SMTP failure).
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I hadn't deleted and re-created my account this past time when it 'fixed' itself. My problem seems to come and go. I haven't changed anything lately. Sometimes the problem is there, sometimes not.
    No. What I am saying, why keep hitting your head when the final result is still not satisfactory. I used PO for a short period of time and suffered the same frustration you are still suffering with. It does not work efficiently and frankly, does not work at all when you consider everything an email program is suppose to do. In light of that and the need to get on with it, I moved on. That is it. For me, PO is just not worth further consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by SpriteGF View Post
    You keep on asking people to use FlexMail, which is an additional $30 on top of malfunctioning equipment. We want the product that we already paid for to work properly.
    I did recreate the account, something like 3 times and it never got better. It would work a couple of hours and then not work a couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
    Actually, that blog has an explanation from Microsoft about the bug and why it occurs sporadically and "fixes" when you recreate the account. I think the gist of it is that if there is one smtp failure, all future smtp attempts will fail until you recreate the account. I'll post it here although I don't completely understand it myself. Here's a link to the blog again for anyone interested in reading through the entire post and comments.

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/...-1-smtp-issues

----pasted----

In the mean time, here is a bit more about the cause: This was a horribly unfortunate side-effect of adding a feature to 6.1 designed to help ensure users can send mail on Operator networks that do IP filtering and block sending e-mail via an SMTP server that is not on their network. We introduced an OEM/Operator registry key override in 6.1 that specifies a backup SMTP server. Business logic was added that attempts to use the backup SMTP server address when the user-specified SMTP server address fails. If the backup server address succeeds, it becomes the new default. The bug occurs when the OEM-specified registry key is empty and when sending via the user-specified SMTP address fails for any reason at any time. Once the device gets in this state, SMTP fails without recovery for the account. (Although, Matt, you said you were able to send again by flipping SSL/Outgoing authentication settings. We didn’t see that.) This explains why users hit the bug only sporadically, and why recreating the account solves the problem (if only temporarily – until the next SMTP failure).
    So . . . is there any fix in sight?
    I really can't say enough about how much this problem makes the 800W SUCK! It is the worst of 4 treos I have owned. What the heck is the point of a handheld e-mail device if it won't send friggin e-mail ?!?
    The problem is the application, not the phone. Why continue hitting up against a wall.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast