1.    #1  
    Hello folks,

I just got the 800w about 4 days ago, and today got caught in a major thunderstorm in New England.

Long story short, the phone stopped working. I didn't realize anything was wrong for about half an hour, when I finally looked at the phone and noticed it was off. I took off the cover, and the battery, and noticed a drop of water on the inside, which I wiped off. Then I took the phone, and put it in a bowl with uncooked rice (a tip I learned before to help draw out moisture from the interior of the phone).

Phone worked again, for about 10 minutes, then the screen froze, and slowly started to fade (it was on the screensaver at the time...the lettering just started getting lighter and lighter). Pulled the battery again, and put it back. Nothing. Dropped it back in the rice, and 45 minutes later, was working again. To be safe, I took the battery out yet again, and am leaving it in the rice for a few more hours.

My question is...is there a visible indicator inside the phone which tells you if there is water damage? Something similar to what Motorola started with their Razr's? I noticed on my battery, there's a white sticker next to the contacts, with 3 red diagonal lines, as well as a red spot on the inside of my phone, on the right side along the top of the battery compartment. I'll post pictures of it when I get home. What do your phones look like? Did I just get screwed by Mother Nature?
    yes, there is a small strip on the battery itself and inside the device (should still be visble, near top right area next to battery enclosure when you take out battery)
    the strip is white and red normally and turns bright red when the unit has been exposed to moisture.
    I just got my 800w replaced today via sprint insurance after I dropped mine in the toilet
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    yes, there is a small strip on the battery itself and inside the device (should still be visble, near top right area next to battery enclosure when you take out battery)
    the strip is white and red normally and turns bright red when the unit has been exposed to moisture.
    I just got my 800w replaced today via sprint insurance after I dropped mine in the toilet
    Ouch....sorry to hear that. How much was the deductible for the insurance? And did you do that in store, or did they have to mail it to you?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Water damage requires $50 deductible and you cannot do it at the store, need to call it in, pay the deductible and the phone is mailed to you.
    Device history:
    Pilot 5000>Palm 2MB upgrade to Palm III>Palm V>Clie PEG-TJ35>Treo 600>HP4155>Treo 650>700p>Apache>700p>755p>Apache>Mogul>Touch>BB Pearl>Curve>800W+Instinct
    talk about flushin your money down the toilet

no really tho, thats good tho that sprint is honoring their protection plans so well. im really thinking of adding it to my phone before my 30 days is up.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    if they can't prove its water damage u will get one from the store what they look at is the lcd display make sure there is no water on the inside screen or discoloring... the second is the ports make sure there is no corrosion to the copper prongs... I wud suggest going to an advanced exchanged store and not a tech center tech centers have techs to open the phones an exchnage center will look at what I mentioned and if no visable signs of water damage order u another one fore free.... ps those who didn't have insurance the price to warranty exchnage a pda has went up to $99 instead of $35
    let the phone dry out for a few days on a fan or in your bowl of rice. I think you are not letting it dry out enough. I have a 650 that went to the bottom of a river with me (look at my old posts for a good story) and was totally submerged for about five minutes. it was 100 percent fine after I let it dry out for three or four days (not hours)
    Circuits will not live long even after drying out. didn't read the whole story but hope you have insurance or a visa card.
    Try drying the unit in a refrigerator for a day or so. Then try it.

Be careful, if it is humid in your place when you remove it, water will recondense.

I've done this trick on a Treo 650 that lasted a couple of years past its unfortunate dunking. I've also done this for several friend's cell phones, all with success.

- Dave
    Well...if the indicators do NOT show water damage, then just go into a store and exchange the phone.

If the indicators do show water damage...you're out of a phone. I guess you could add insurance right now, since the 30 days is not up yet, and then wait a couple of days, and make a claim. That way you'd be out $50 instead of $600.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    my 650 still works fine years after 100 percent water ingestion. the key is to dry it out completely. That takes time and patience.

good luck
    Does anyone have a picture of the indicator I know that it's white with red stripes, do the stripes bleed when wet or what...
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    What does uncook rice does to the phone?

What does putting phone in the fridge do?

I never heard of these things before.
    Uncooked rice absorbs the moisture.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Found this at pocketnow site

Quote Originally Posted by hyphen View Post
    if they can't prove its water damage u will get one from the store what they look at is the lcd display make sure there is no water on the inside screen or discoloring... the second is the ports make sure there is no corrosion to the copper prongs... I wud suggest going to an advanced exchanged store and not a tech center tech centers have techs to open the phones an exchnage center will look at what I mentioned and if no visable signs of water damage order u another one fore free.... ps those who didn't have insurance the price to warranty exchnage a pda has went up to $99 instead of $35
    The don't use any of those things. They just look at the water damage evidence sticker. If it is solid red instead of striped then it counts as water damaged. Otherwise you are good.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w