Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I did a search, but I didn't find an exact answer.

Normally, my 800w syncs just fine. But if I try and sync say 3-4 times to my computer before rebooting my computer then it won't recognize it.

I mean, I sync each night before going to bed. Sometimes I leave my computer on for a few days at a time. By the third time (or so), when I plug in the 800 nothing happens. It'll charge (no light on, but the battery meter flickers), but Activesync won't kick in.

I will have to reboot the computer and sometimes the 800W in order for them to sync up.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it just me? It is mildly annoying, but not a deal breaker. I'm just checking to see if my little baby is a freak, or if it is a common occurrence.

Oh, and if there is an easy way to fix it. (aside from shutting down my computer more. Which I know I should do).

thanks
    K--
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Same thing happens to me ... ironically, it is happening as I write. Usually, a soft reset of the 800w fixes the problem.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the USB Root Hub (in Windows XP, under Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus Controllers) associated with the USB port where the device is plugged in, then have windows scan for changes to re-install the Root Hub, then finally soft-reset the 800w. Annoying, but sure beats a reboot of the computer.

To identify which Root Hub to uninstall (so you don't have to uninstall all of them), double click on a Root Hub, go to "Power", where it will either say "Unknown USB Device" if WinXP is not recognizing the device, or "Windows Mobile-based device" if it recognizes the device.

Also, I've noticed that it can take up to about 30 seconds for my computer to recognize that I've plugged in the 800w.
    Same thing happens to me...more often with Vista (home) then with XP (work). I've found that doing a soft reset then switching USB ports works almost every time.
    Have you tried killing ActiveSync via the task manager and rerunning it manually?
    I asked this issue when I 1st got my treo 800, and the responce I got was, to go into Treo 800w's Start->Setting->Connections->USB to PC and select off "Enable advanced network functionality". Then exit out, then go back in and place the check back to enable "Enable Advance network functionality"

I perfer this to Soft resets cause, I dont like the "button-less" battery door and I always think im going to snap off the tabs on the door.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss View Post
    I perfer this to Soft resets cause, I dont like the "button-less" battery door and I always think im going to snap off the tabs on the door.
    Get WisBar Advance or some other tool that lets you do a soft reset via software ... removing the battery cover on this device is for the birds!
    I find that if i unplug the usb for the sync and plug it into anogther port it helps.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by elrodvoss View Post
    I asked this issue when I 1st got my treo 800, and the responce I got was, to go into Treo 800w's Start->Setting->Connections->USB to PC and select off "Enable advanced network functionality". Then exit out, then go back in and place the check back to enable "Enable Advance network functionality"

I highly recommend you get a software program to do soft resets for you so you don't have to keep removing the battery door. WM loves a good soft reset from time to time. I installed a freeware program called "Soft Reset." You can also get a soft reset program in other apps like wisbar3, etc. I preferred just to have the stand alone soft reset app.

As for the Sync Problem, I have the exact same issue. A soft reset fixes the problem 100% of the time for me.

Cosmo

UPDATE: Here's the link to the soft reset app as provided by another poster in another thread. It works great w/ this phone.

http://www.megaone.com/fengwei/ppc.htm#SoftReset_
    Last edited by cosmopilot; 08/06/2008 at 09:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I find that if i unplug the usb for the sync and plug it into anogther port it helps.
    I've found just pulling he sync cable from the Treo 800w and putting it back in the Treo 800w some minutes later resolves the issue. After rebooting my PC, it never syncs with the device till I do that. It seems rebooting the PC causes the connection to be lost (for obvious reasons) and unable to be re-established (which is the odd thing).

Probably would be easier to just pull the cable to the Treo 800w before any PC reboot and put it back in afterward.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I despise ActiveSync. I use it (or at least try to use it) to sync my Outlook calendar and contacts. My 800w/computer are able to connect via the "Enable advanced network functionality" trick, but for some reason, when I sync, I get duplicate contacts (in both Outlook and on my phone) and it occasionally goes into a repeating loop where a blank appointment is scheduled. Over and over. If I'm not paying attention when a sync occurs, I can end up w/20+ appointments in one half hour time block. Good times.

And it always, always crashes on me after one or two sync sessions.

Sometimes it works to cancel the ActiveSync processes via the Task Manager and then restart ActiveSync, but the problems immediately resurface. Restarting my desktop and soft resets on the phone don't seem to help either.

My University doesn't use an Exchange server for email and we use Oracle calendar . . . Outlook taps into the Oracle calendar via an "Oracle Connector" program, so this might be contributing to the mess.

Anyone else having a problem like this?
    I use activesync (or whatever they call it in Vista) as little as possible. I have one plugin on my work PC that syncs my PC's Outlook to Google Calendar, and another app on my 800w that syncs the device up to Google Calender, thus keeping syncs to a minimum.
    I have this same problem and it pisses me off to no limit. soft reset always works so thats what I usually do. It seems like going into internet sharing and clicking connect USB sometimes works too. I cannot connect to my work pc with advanced network functionality checked. I am going to try to connect over BT, but I use the cable when I am on the road and to connect PDAnet.
    If your desktop has Bluetooth, try that, no more cable problems.
    Same here, I just use SoftReset & works again.
    I have more problems with Vista than XP on sync. Usually restarting the Windows-Mobile-based device connectivity service fixes this along with then running the Windows Mobile Device Center. I don't recall any issues with XP off hand. I rarely have to do a hard/soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    If your desktop has Bluetooth, try that, no more cable problems.
    i was just gonna try that today but i prefer the cable at work so i can charge.
    My husband was having this issue with his mogul and I was having it with my 800w. I did some checking on the services on WIndows and the two that control Windows Mobile devices were set to Delayed Start. I changed them to Automatic and restarted them both and then plugged in my phone and it kicked right and I have not have a problem since. I don't recall exactly what the services are called but I believe it started with Windows Mobile.
    This happens to me also. If it does not conect the first time you try it disconnect it and end activesync as a running program on your treo 800 and then try again. That usually works for me.
    Hope this helps
    What works for me is-

plug cable into 800w
    unplug cable
    plug cable back in

Somehow this works - activesync sees it on the second connection. Does this work for anyone else?
    It isn't a Windows problem because I have the same issue with OS X.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast