Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    For the past two years, I have used a Palm Treo 700p as my daily do-everything device. If you can name it, it was in there and was constantly on my hip for calls, text messages, notes, contacts, etc. Being that it became the 'central' device that seemed to do everything I needed with good call quality to boot, I cancelled my land-line phone and began operating in a mobile only mode.

With everything exactly how I wanted it, I am always a bit nervous to change things up as it means that I have to commit to a complete upgrade cycle for not only the phone but also accessories and software. In this case, converting from a Palm OS to a Windows Mobile added another layer of challenge when I made the decision to upgrade to the 800w. With GPS, Bluetooth 2.0, EVDO Rev A, and many other enhancements I thought it a no brainer until I found out one piece on information when the box showed up at my doorstep.

Upon opening the 800w box, I was stunned to see that the phone did not include a 2.5 mm headset port. A few years back, I had performed a comprehensive test on various bluetooth 1.2 devices and came to the conclusion that call quality suffered and the battery operated device just meant I had another battery charging routine I needed to add to the regiment.

So what to do? I talk on the phone for hours during the day and was used to a very comfortable CORDED over the head boom headset which worked well. Now without a headset port and no mini-USB to 2.5mm converter in sight, I decided to pound the pavement and see if Bluetooth offered a solution to my problem.

Interestingly enough, I was excited to reinitiate an investigation on how Bluetooth development had progressed since v1.2. With the recent CA hands-free law and the plethora of folks walking around with an electronic gadget in their ear, I figured something had to have improved.

Enter the BlueParrott B250 Roadwarrior. This is a Bluetooth v2.0 device that offered a comfortable over the head boom headset with roughly 10 hours of talk time and 100 hours of standby time! Ok, now we're talking! Could this product finally replace my corded over the head headset? I ordered one to give it a try.

Upon receiving the device and cracking into the plastic clamshell, I was pleased with the construction of the device. It seemed to be of high quality construction and the device was comfortable to put on. Upon pairing the device, which went smoothly, I began placing and receiving calls to a couple of my 'test buddies' that know what to listen for.

After a few days, I am happy to report that this headset has successfully replaced my corded headset. Callers said that I came through loud and clear and for me, the volume on the speaker was more than adequate (yes, it could be too loud!). Call quality was approaching the quality of a good corded headset and the side controls were easy to use. It also functioned well with the Treo Voice Command when the latest palm update was applied.

I did manage to find one issue though, and I'm hoping there are others that can replicate this issue to confirm that it exists elsewhere. When I placed a call while the headset was paired, the standard volume level from the 800w seems to have the B250 start at a very low volume. If I adjust the volume on either the headset or the phone, things adjust normally and return to a synchronized volume. If I then adjust the phone volume to the middle volume setting on the phone, the B250 volume again returns to a very low setting (and not the correct one). I believe this is an issue with the B250 as this same issue is not experienced with my Jawbone II or BlueAnt Supertooth 3.

So all in all I'm quite pleased and think I might have finally left the tether of the wired world. We'll see how the experimentation continues.

If you're interested in learning more, try the manufacturer's link at http://www.blueparrott.com/products/...rrottb250.html. I purchased my headset from Buy.com for $69 with free shipping. Here is the link for easy reference http://www.buy.com/prod/blue-parrot-wireless-headset-system/
    buy.com is now $91 with free shipping

I love my b250. While Im driving my semi, people say I sound like Im on the couch.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Yes, the price is up to $91 now. Even at that price, I think it is still well worth it.

So a question for other users (mohamie). Is there a way to answer the handset and then transfer the call to the B250? For some reason, my headset goes dead (the multi-function light stops blinking) and I am not able to have it call transfer.
    Anyone using this that can compare to the jawbone or blueant z9i?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Anyone using this that can compare to the jawbone or blueant z9i?
    I had the jawbone 1. I love how small it was, but it wasnt for me because I keep a little bit of facial hair, and that doesnt work well with the jawbone. Call quality is better with the b250 vs jawbone imo

Everybody loves how the b250 sounds, its just real big. But what do you expect for a 10+ hour talk time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    Yes, the price is up to $91 now. Even at that price, I think it is still well worth it.

So a question for other users (mohamie). Is there a way to answer the handset and then transfer the call to the B250? For some reason, my headset goes dead (the multi-function light stops blinking) and I am not able to have it call transfer.
    I would return it while you still can. Mine does not do that.