Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I got the 800 the maps software in the today screen was working properly. A couple days later, it stopped sorting by distance.

I called 4 sprint tech supports and 1 palm tech support and it is still not sorting by distance (i.e., we did soft reset, hard reset, signal sent to the phone).

I took the 800 to the sprint store and to my surprise the display model was not sorting properly either. I talked to a sprint salesman and he checked is 800 and was surprised that his was not sorting properly either. He chekced with somebody in the back office who had a 800 and the person told him that his stopped sorting by distance a few days ago.

Conclusion was: it is a software malfunction and Sprint will send an update to the phone or check back in a couple of weeks.

As any of you experienced the same problem?
    Last edited by fdavid; 08/07/2008 at 09:54 AM.
    the Maps software is JUNK and always gives me the craziest results from a search. I wish I could get rid of it, telenav is 1000X better
    I use Live search, it also gives me Gas Prices near me
    Yes I have had the same problem. It stopped sorting by distance a while ago. Quite annoying. It was a nifty little app when it was sorting properly
    Same issue here. First day I got it worked fine, now it's showing me results 20+ miles away from my location and not even sorted by distance. I've checked all the preferences and options and doesn't seem to be an easy fix.

In any case, it's pretty much useless. I disabled the Today screen plugin for it. Use Live Search program, so much better. It's very nice. Only wish it had a Today plugin as well.
    Same thing with me! First I thought the GPS was malfunctioning, then I noticed that the points of interest were the correct distances away, but they weren't sorted correctly. I couldn't get it to sort by distance, making it basically unusable.
    Yep exactly. I thought it wasn't reading my GPS location properly. Turns out the application is just really f'ed up unfortunately. Although not as good as the Live Search app, if it worked I would use it simply because you have access to it from the Today screen. Keyword being "if".
  8.    #8  
    I like "live search", but I prefered "point of interest" better because it takes only one click for the sprint navigation to take you there. "Live search" only gives direction, while "point of interest" lets the navigation give you audible turn-by-turn direction.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So is the lack of distance sorting mean something is not working properly or set up improperly in maps at the device or is this a system problem that I shouldn't be trying to figure out how to fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    So is the lack of distance sorting mean something is not working properly or set up improperly in maps at the device or is this a system problem that I shouldn't be trying to figure out how to fix?
    I tried looking for an option in the Maps program to sort by distance and was unsuccessful. The weird thing is, I could almost swear that it sorted corectly the first week that I had the device. It has nothing to do with the hardware or system software...it is a problem with the Maps program that makes it pretty much unusable.
    Ditto on Maps giving a bad sorting of results. It makes no sense that you put in the name of a restaurant and the first in the list is miles away. While one is literally in walking distance and you just want the number to call for information about availability.
    The location search feature in Sprint Navigation is nice, but it is not well integrated with the phone.

Live Search requires setting the location and such, a bit of a hassle.
    LiveSearch is a nice little app, I also use Google Maps. Have also found the Sprint Navigation database to be pretty decent if you have it on your plan.

I also had the same maps problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billhelm View Post
    LiveSearch is a nice little app, I also use Google Maps. Have also found the Sprint Navigation database to be pretty decent if you have it on your plan.

I also had the same maps problem.
    I have that issue as well, so I just use Sprint Navigation. I find the start-up time and usability to be very good (and it's part of my data/text/talk plan).
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Live Search requires setting the location and such, a bit of a hassle.
    I set the location in Live Search to be GPS Location, and that has been the default ever since. I find Live Search to be so much better than the Maps program. The only problem is that it doesn't have a Today screen plugin, which doesn't bother me at all.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So it's a problem with the Maps program and not with us users. Since it seems so illogical to not sort by distance or at least be able to choose, this should be corrected. Who would we contact? Is it a Sprint program, Palm program, Windows program?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Who would we contact? Is it a Sprint program, Palm program, Windows program?
    My guess is it's a Palm program, but it could be a Sprint one.
    I know everyone thinks the program sucks, but it's a nice 'quick and dirty' way to get information. For example, there's a pizza store 8 blocks away from me, and I'd love to just enter 'pizza' from the home screen to get their phone number. I don't feel like booting up navigation, etc.

The program isn't working at all for me right now. I can an error saying "Unable to get map. Possibly insufficent information to create a map" ..and yes, 'insufficient' was spelled wrong on the error message.
    Last edited by wildrage; 08/20/2008 at 11:34 AM.
    My is doing the same thing. When I first got it, it was sorting out as advertised. Now it is showing stuff 20+ miles away. I have to scroll down until I find something closer to me. As wildrage says, it is a handy app to get a quick phone number (kinda like a personal phone book).

If anyone determines the fix, I'd be interested.

Cosmo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I set the location in Live Search to be GPS Location, and that has been the default ever since. I find Live Search to be so much better than the Maps program. The only problem is that it doesn't have a Today screen plugin, which doesn't bother me at all.
    Do I need do do some sort of login to be able to access that feature? If I don't need a login, how is that setup? If I do need a login, I guess I better figure out what I'll use to login if I want to use it .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast