Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    klmsu19 I actually wasnt just refering to you and theres nothing wroing with complainng BUT there are a few folks who are complaing about the 800W in EVERY thread no matter the subject . And they diss anyone who says the 800W is good.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/16/2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Here is what I did and it seems to have fixed my syncing issues with my laptop via USB.

These instructions came from ActiveSync 6.1 issues. I also run Vista 64 bit. XP doesn't seem to have all of the struggles to sync, as I also have an XP laptop.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am using XP and haven't ever had a problem with completing a sync using ActiveSync. What happens is after a time of varying lengths of being connected, it loses its connection and nothing gets it to reconnect until I do a reset of the 800. Having to do this multiple times a day is pain even with a software reset program. I just think it shouldn't be necessary to have to reset the device so often.
    Last edited by Rogus; 08/16/2008 at 03:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Everything about the 800w is not good for me on the first day.

1. Audio is low.
    2. Most of my programs doesnt work due to the new screen size.
    3. The phone cannot be totally turn off.
    4. Latch on the memory looks like its going to break off.
    5. Took me many many times just to open the dang battery cover!
    6. Reset required you to pull out the battery? Do you pull out your AC cord to reset your computer ???
    7. A plastic tooth pick stylus? Come on Mr Palm!

Right now I am still playing with it without the battery cover on and the memory latch opened.

This is my first Palm device and who are they anyway?

But still I am going to keep it and I am sure in a few months everything will be fine. But dont buy it now if I where you.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    1. Audio is low.
    2. Most of my programs doesnt work due to the new screen size.
    3. The phone cannot be totally turn off.
    4. Latch on the memory looks like its going to break off.
    5. Took me many many times just to open the dang battery cover!
    6. Reset required you to pull out the battery? Do you pull out your AC cord to reset your computer ???
    7. A plastic tooth pick stylus? Come on Mr Palm!
    I can see why you have a problem. The 800w clearly doesn't fit you.

1. Which audio? Admittedly, I listen to pretty much everything over BT A2DP, which sounds amazing.
    2. Really? Most of mine work fine. Which ones are you using that don't work?
    3. Why would you do this? If you mute it, put into sleep and turn off all the radios, (flight mode), what's the difference?
    4. But it hasn't, has it? I rarely see it, as I almost never remove my 8GB card.
    5. The battery cover can be tricky if you have sweaty hands.
    6. I don't mind this, it's no more hassle than pulling out the stylus to use a reset hole.
    7. Again, I never use the stylus, so who cares.

The Treo is designed to be used in a way you're clearly not using it, that is one handed use with the d-pad and keyboard. From what I hear, using a Porsche 911 for off-roading is also a subpar experience, but that doesn't mean the 911 is a bad car. Use the Treo as it's meant to be used, and you might be surprised how good it is.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I didnt use BT. I use the audio thru the 800w device and its low. Maybe there will be a hack for this.

Pocket e-sword didnt work for me. I guess a software bug? Agile Messenger grahic is squashed. I guess most software are like this for now.

I will try to use less of the stylus. I already order me the Seido metal stylus.

I am just tired of flipping those slider Mogul phone in and out. I will stick to the Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Bold should be a great device. Only problem is there are no plans for it to hit Sprint anytime soon...

Hate to say it but you might not see it till at least beginning of 2009. Just have to wait till the next Sprint roadmap leaks.
    Hmm...I know you know more about this stuff than I do, but you really think that late? Seems like an awful long time, but it could be I guess. One of my guys at Best Buy thought September, but that is just what he mentioned. I tried to find info at work on it, but nothing seems to be up on it yet or any mention of it anywhere. Sometimes we get news or dummy phones, or the Sprint rep says something to the Mobile guys, and then I find out.

Any idea when the next roadmap should be leaked? My guess would be every 3 months, but i'm sure you have an idea of when we'd possibly see the next roadmap.
    Agree from your post I dont think the 800W is the phone for you but as for these 7 things

1. My sounds great . Maybe you need to return for a better unit.
    2. Other than sling player all work great
    3. The phone is off when off. whats thew big deal there ?
    4. It dosent come off. dont worry. Your making an issiue out of a non issue. It will not fall off. no worrys.
    5. Battery cover is hard to get off but so is alot of them . Centro was a pain,
    6. Where have you been . Lots of phones have to be reset with the removal of the battery now. Ofcourse a reset hole would be better but still would have to open the battery door.
    7. Stylus is cheap but usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
    I can see why you have a problem. The 800w clearly doesn't fit you.

1. Which audio? Admittedly, I listen to pretty much everything over BT A2DP, which sounds amazing.
    2. Really? Most of mine work fine. Which ones are you using that don't work?
    3. Why would you do this? If you mute it, put into sleep and turn off all the radios, (flight mode), what's the difference?
    4. But it hasn't, has it? I rarely see it, as I almost never remove my 8GB card.
    5. The battery cover can be tricky if you have sweaty hands.
    6. I don't mind this, it's no more hassle than pulling out the stylus to use a reset hole.
    7. Again, I never use the stylus, so who cares.

The Treo is designed to be used in a way you're clearly not using it, that is one handed use with the d-pad and keyboard. From what I hear, using a Porsche 911 for off-roading is also a subpar experience, but that doesn't mean the 911 is a bad car. Use the Treo as it's meant to be used, and you might be surprised how good it is.
    Last week I looked at my receipt and realized it was day 29 with the 800w. I decided to give a Curve a chance so I swapped out my 800w for it. It's still early but now I know why they call them crack berries. lol I like how the Curve works well out of the box. It's not that I didn't like the 800w but I'm pretty sure the Curve works better for me. I was lucky and got a discount on the BB plan. Also I changed a few things on my plan so really I'm not paying that much more for a BB plan. I change my mind a lot so who knows I could come back to a 800w but as of now I'm happy I gave the Curve a chance.
    chong67 wrote:
    > 6. Reset required you to pull out the battery? Do you pull out your AC cord to reset your computer ???

Are you talking Hard Reset or Soft Reset here?

I suspect you mean Soft Reset. And if this is the case, you should be using
    some sort of Soft Reset program, which will save you from opening the battery cover.

There are dozens of programs out there that do it (I use sktools. Here is a link to another one http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=soft+reset)

Although I find myself Soft Resetting often (like when I do reg tweaking), I haven't found the need to Hard Reset once yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post

And last time i checked the title of the thread included "...any regrets or returning it..." nothing wrong with opinions even bad ones. For every glowing opinion there will be one crappy one- on anything really not even just phones. I even said if it works for you then great its your money to spend, but it doesnt for some due to a few reoccurring issues that have their own threads and more than one person experiencing them. But discounting peoples bad experiences turns the forum into a fanboy forum which serves no purpose to honestly give opinions to any new users to make an informed decision.
    No one has a problem with you being angry at your purchase. But your statements have implied that all 800w's suck. I'm not the only one who has gotten that impression.

Now, do you not have TEP with Sprint? I would think with an expensive phone you would. If you do, why not use your TEP and get a new device. Or for that matter it's still under warranty, so get a replacement. You might find that a replacement device will work better. If it does, then good for you. If it still doesn't meet your expectations, at least you tried. Also with Sprint they have a policy that after two phone replacements, you may choose a different phone altogether. This was told to me by an account manager in the customer loyalty department when I was having problems pre-ROM release Treo 700p. I do wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am using XP and haven't ever had a problem with completing a sync using ActiveSync. What happens is after a time of varying lengths of being connected, it loses its connection and nothing gets it to reconnect until I do a reset of the 800. Having to do this multiple times a day is pain even with a software reset program. I just think it shouldn't be necessary to have to reset the device so often.
    I would suggest the warm reset then for you. Your symptoms are definitely similar to what I was experiencing, and mine is syncing fine now after following the method I shared with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    Last week I looked at my receipt and realized it was day 29 with the 800w. I decided to give a Curve a chance so I swapped out my 800w for it. It's still early but now I know why they call them crack berries. lol I like how the Curve works well out of the box. It's not that I didn't like the 800w but I'm pretty sure the Curve works better for me. I was lucky and got a discount on the BB plan. Also I changed a few things on my plan so really I'm not paying that much more for a BB plan. I change my mind a lot so who knows I could come back to a 800w but as of now I'm happy I gave the Curve a chance.
    Maybe I should start the betting as to how long it takes you to try something else, tbaker. I make my wife nuts enough due to how often I change phones. She should count her blessings I'm not as bad as you.
    Hey Jeff, now your telling people that its their fault that the 800 works poorly out of the box. Chang got this device coming from a Mogul. He is having the same legitimate issues most of us have faced. It is clearly not the end users fault. Its amazing how the fanboys have zero issues with their device yet the majority of us have. I know I'll be blasted for this but now people are being blamed? That's just a pathetic excuse. Let's use you 911 example. So if the car is crap off the lot its the new owners fault? Its Ok and admit there are issues. Its not a secret. Owners should not be at fault and they have the right to use whatever they want. At this point little things should work out of the box (items chang pointed out). Most of us agree with him. Maybe Palm will release a hardware fix soon.
    I think it's funny that, for every single phone that comes out, a very vocal minority claoms that "most of us" have problems with our devices, and that those who don't are "fanboys". This, of course, despite survey after survey that always show that most are very happy with our devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Hey Jeff, now your telling people that its their fault that the 800 works poorly out of the box. Chang got this device coming from a Mogul. He is having the same legitimate issues most of us have faced. It is clearly not the end users fault. Its amazing how the fanboys have zero issues with their device yet the majority of us have. I know I'll be blasted for this but now people are being blamed? That's just a pathetic excuse. Let's use you 911 example. So if the car is crap off the lot its the new owners fault? Its Ok and admit there are issues. Its not a secret. Owners should not be at fault and they have the right to use whatever they want. At this point little things should work out of the box (items chang pointed out). Most of us agree with him. Maybe Palm will release a hardware fix soon.
    I read several forums, and I don't see this "majority" you speak of being upset with the 800w. I for one have agreed that I would rate the battery as adequate, but it could certainly stand to be bigger, and I'm hopeful that Seidio will release one just as they did with the Mogul. They put out an extended battery that still fit in the stock cover.

However, I just plain don't have the other issues you and a vocal few complain about. No one is saying you guys didn't have those issues, but most of you make blatant statements implying that the 800w is crappy, or everyone has bad audio, etc., based upon your personal experience. Yours may have been crappy, and you may have had bad audio, but most of ours work as we would want them to.

I am certain I can find complainers about the BB Curve too. Does this make it a bad or poorly designed device? Or did BB let their users down? No, the device is successful and would indicate that it must be a decent device. That doesn't change the experience or feelings of the ones who don't like it, but it doesn't give them the authority to say everybody or the majority of its users are having issues with it.

Read through just the TC forums, or heck, even this thread. The majority are speaking up for the device. We like it and are happy with it, and can only imagine that it will get better as Palm (and others) tweak it. My new stylus from Seidio ships this week. There will go the biggest complaint I have with the 800w, the poorly made stylus.

One more point: I'm truly glad you are happy with your Curve. We are blessed to have so many choices, because there ought to be a phone out there that will satisfy each of us. You have the Curve, and I have the 800w. We're good to go!
    Last edited by JackG058; 08/16/2008 at 07:00 PM.
    I read every post and it is NOT the majority complaing . Its the same folks complaining so much and in every damn thread they make it look like theres alot of folks. I tried and hate the iPhone for alot of reasoan but Im not silly enough to go on a iphone thread and keep crying like a child about how bad it is and tried to keeep harping on it. Seriously if you read ALL the threads and keep track in your head it is a huge Majority that think the 800w is a terriffic phone . and yes it had isues out of the box but we have fixes and the phone is top notch. I am no fanboy. Go read my threads i never have been BUT after the fixes from this site this phone is so good. As with everything you will find detractors. The greatest movie ever will have a LOUD minority who think it sucks . thats life. but to keep harping oin it in every post and the same folks is ridiculous.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/16/2008 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Most of us agree with him.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ROFL. Way funny post Malatesta.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Guys, seriously. There is something wrong with the audio. Go and get a Mogul and hear the difference.

I still want to stay with 800w.

I just wish most software would get to 320x320 screen! This is my biggest issue.

Also closing the X doesnt close the program. Need to go to Task Manager to kill it. This has been WM style.
    Chong67 bring your back maybe its defective.Theres some audio issues but its not that bad. i still have my Centro and my 800W sounds the same not better just the same. Its perfect. I have no issues with phone calls. You have 30 days . return yours.
    Guys, seriously. There is something wrong with the audio. Go and get a Mogul and hear the difference.
    chong, we all know about the audio--I've posted a thread on it and I think like 20 other people. we know. no one is denying. but for some of us, it's not that bad and it works.
    Also closing the X doesnt close the program. Need to go to Task Manager to kill it. This has been WM style.
    Yeah, "X" has never closed programs in WM. You want to close something? Hold down "OK" and use the nice lil' task manager.

But why do you want to close apps? What's the purpose? To have 62mb of free instead of 57mb?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/16/2008 at 08:10 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast